Monday, October 15, 2007

Dragons

Saying for the Day-Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. G. K. Chesterton

Yesterday I saw a History Channel presentation on dragons. I thought of that as I sat down to type this morning and my little dragon looked down on me. It was as if he was saying, “See how important I am !”
In the earliest writing that has been discovered there was a dragon story.
Every society around this globe has some kind of dragon myth.
Some civilizations believed that dragons created the earth.
The Church of the Middle Ages believed dragons to be in league with the devil.
Dragons were more often seen as evil than as good.
Dragons were very fussy and wanted only beautiful women to eat and if possible a princess.
Dragons collected gold and jewels because they liked them.
Some dragons could morph into the shape of humans so there may be dragons among us.
Dragons could be writing blogs.
In any case I love dragons.

@@@@ News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life may be about to change.-Today at 5:00 the wrestler known as Lightning Lady will step up into the Pigeon Falls gazebo and sing first the new Pigeon Falls song and then the old. At that point if the driblet is correct and if this is the right singer and if this is the right song then things should start to warm up. It did snow this morning and the temperature is still zero.
Eino says it’s all nonsense. Having some fake wrestler sing is not going to change the weather. It is unreasonable to even think so. He still can’t understand how old Mrs. Trumble won in the first place.
But for most of Pigeon Falls old Dragon Slayer is the new hero. They expect that when the wrestler sings things will begin to change.
Wink’s Woods has ordered Dragon Slayer bobble heads and Dragon Slayer sweaters. The Sweaters say “Pigeon Falls home of Dragon Slayer“. Nancy is now offering Dragon soup but your not allowed to ask what’s in it. It tastes a bit like chicken soup though.
This is such a big even that the Liar’s Club 64 piece band may play this evening. But only if all three members are willing to brave the cold. You could freeze your lips to a trumpet in this cold.
Is this the turning point? Can a wrestler sing? Will the weather change ? Will Eino ever stop being reasonable ? Will we lose a member of the Liar’s Club Band to the cold? Can Mrs. Trumble handle her new found fame? Will Petrovich give her the $1000 he promised to anyone who stayed in the ring with Lightning Lady? And of course is Tommy UK really the undertaker’s kid? Some of these questions will be answered tomorrow.
*****
Today's Link-The Dragon Slayer's Guide to Life-I just like the title though the advice isn't bad.
I had a good breathing day nut a bad arthritis day. We went to Menard in the morning. I bought two by fours to make legs out of for the little train tables we brought from Crystal since we misplaced the legs. I also got a new drill witha cord and bolts. Of course I forgot to get nuts. Pennie and Betty got a mantel for our fireplace. In the afternoon they went shopping and I built table legs. Then we played canasta and I won for a change. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

12 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Doesnt beating the Lightning Lady make Mrs. Trumble more powerful? Maybe Mrs. Trumble should sing also.

6:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do believe Jan is correct!

And some of my best friends are dragons.

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love dragons too. I think its because my sister sang Puff the Magic Dragon to me incessantly when I was a child.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Nessa said...

I love dragons too. I have one that watches me while I write and he's green, too. I'll take a picture of Horace.

1:47 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

But remember, not all dragons are bad
the worst demons, are the inner demons
and sometimes they are the hardest to 'vanquish'

4:39 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I always like the dragon in Shrek.

4:51 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

I like Chesterton. It's always been my belief that dragons are common in literature because they did indeed exist. I think they were the lingering dinosaurs that man faced until they were mostly extinct. Evolutionists say, "Not possible. Man and dinosaurs never co-existed." I think they are wrong. Even the word dinosaur is from the Greek deinos= terrifying + sauros= lizard. They have been characatured in art, but I think forms of terrifying lizards no longer with us did exist and that's why they are universal in literature.

5:15 PM  
Blogger BBC said...

"Now if you could let go of that extreem self righteousness !"

Yeah, right, like that is going to happen. Who would even expect God to do that?

5:48 PM  
Blogger BBC said...

"I have no fear of science though I am troubled ny people who think it can save us."

It's the only thing that will save you, because God is a scientist.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Alpha Dude said...

I admire a man who will build his own table legs.

Blessings to you, Dr John.

8:13 PM  
Blogger Bazza said...

Some interesting comments today Dr John, I'm with Lori though on Dragons.

12:10 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

My favorite song: "Indescribable"

From the highest of heights to the depths of the sea,
Creation's revealing Your majesty.
From the colors of fall to the fragrance of spring,
Every creature unique in the song that it sings. All exclaiming...

Indescribable, Uncontainable,
You placed the stars in the sky and You know them by name.
You are amazing God.
All powerful, Untameable,
Awestruck we fall to our knees and we humbly proclaim,
You are amazing God.

Who has told every lightning bolt where it should go,
Or seen heavenly storehouses laden with snow?
Who imagined the sun and gives source to its light,
Yet conceals it to give us the coolness of night?
None can fathom...

Indescribable, Uncontainable,
You placed the stars in the sky and You know them by name.
You are amazing God.
Incomparable, Unchangeable,
You see the depths of my heart and You love me the same.
You are amazing God.

1:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home