Thursday, September 20, 2007

Trust or Snake Oil

Saying for the Day:In the middle ages, people took potions for their ailments. In the 19th century they took snake oil. Citizens of today's shiny, technological age are too modern for that. They take antioxidants and extract of cactus instead.” Charles Krauthammer


Yesterday I went and had my ears tested. I listened to the beeps and the nice man plotted my hearing. One ear is of very little use. But I knew that. They told me that at Mayo’s . The other ear has real problems. I suspected that. When he finished there was my hearing in little red circles all of them below the normal hearing range and some of them way below.
Then I met with a nice lady who told me what various hearing aids could do for me. The problem I have at this point was should I trust her? Is this nice office with all of its fancy diploma’s really just the old snake oil wagon in its modern form. Does she really care about how good things sound to me or does she just want to sell me the most expensive hearing aid possible. If she is a snake oil salesman she is very good at it. There was no high pressure. None of that “ if you don’t buy it today you can’t get it tomorrow at this price“. I felt like she really wanted to help me.
So I ordered a very expensive hearing aid. It will be ready in two weeks. It is supposed to be adjusted to my hearing loss.
But I keep wondering. Suppose after I get it and have had it for a few weeks something goes wrong. Will the office still be there ? It’s a rented suite next to a massage therapist. Will the wagon with the snake oil just load up and leave town?
I guess if you want to move in this world you have to trust somebody. I just hope these were the right somebodys. She certainly seemed nice.

@@@@ News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and it is cold.– The temperature in Pigeon Falls today reached zero degrees. It is cold. The scientist arrived from Washington today as well as a group from some independent agency. One group wants to show this is not the result of Global Warming. The other group is sure that it is. The best , off the top of the head guess” is that Pigeon Falls is caught in some kind of strange upper air inversion which is forcing cold Arctic air down into Pigeon Falls. Each group has rented a house and begun setting up their equipment.
Mayor Trumble has an open invitation to the woman of Pigeon Falls to stop by her office and sing the Pigeon Falls song. So far , including Mayor Trumble, twenty two woman have sung and it is still getting colder. Perhaps, its not the right song.
The newest addition to the driblet 77 has some people thanking of Pastor Marvel and his wife. They remember Pastor Marvel wearing a Captain Marvel suit with a lightning bolt on his chest. That same comic set had a Mary Marvel with the same symbol. Perhaps, they could get Mrs. Marvel to sing the Pigeon Falls song on the phone. It can’t hurt to try.
This cold weather has not hurt Nancy’s business. If your down town you can use a cup of hot coffee. Besides people need somebody to share their theories with. Some think Vicki East needs to write a new song. The old Pigeon Falls song isn’t going to do it.
*****

Today's Link-Special Kind of Stupid- Another look at OJ and the robbery.
Went to the basement this morning to continue sorting boxes and found a small flood in one area. Some how the little hose that comes from the furnace that is supposed to be on top of the drain got moved over. It was a mess. After lunch Betty went to Bible study and I continued to work in the basement. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

7 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Not another upper air inversion. Didnt they use that to explain the poltergeist?

BTW, driblet 77 link doesnt open. Maybe it is frozen :-)

6:53 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Remind me never to telephone. My voice is so mousy you'd never hear me. Gosh, you may even think I'm a telemarketer and give it to me good. =O(

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. John, how long has the snake oil wag -- uhm, hearing aid shop been parked in that building?

10:58 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

What do you need a hearing aid for? Certainly not to read my blog; D

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the link!

3:33 PM  
Blogger -atomik kitten said...

Surely you looked them up, asked for references, etc...before you dropped beaucoup $$ on them. But either way - I hope they work for you.

I am guzzling gatorade. Turns out all the uh, intestinal problems I am experiencing have led to a nasty potassium imbalance resulting in leg cramps that make me cry, dizziness, and many trips to the bathroom.

All that I am just 29...

7:17 PM  
Blogger -atomik kitten said...

You should check out rejectionhotline.com - they have a number just for telemarketers!

And one of these days Ima get me a ten dollar degree!

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home