Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Corn on The Cob in Four Minutes

Saying for the Day: Sex is good, but not as good as fresh, sweet corn. ~Garrison Keillor

We live in a marvelous age. Yesterday I had corn on the cob as part of my lunch. In the past having corn on the cob meant hauling out the big pan, filling it with water, and bringing the water to a boil. Then you had to throw in the corn. With all that work you never did just one ear you did at least two or three. Then you waited for the corn to cook.
Then along came the microwave. You had to find the special corn dish, add water, and cook for seven minutes or so and it was never as good as the corn that was boiled.
But now science has come to my rescue. The corn I had yesterday was placed in a special Glad bag with a little water. It was placed in the microwave where it steamed for four minutes. It was every bit as good as the boiled corn.
Now I can have one ear of corn on the cob anytime I want it with no trouble. There are no pots to clean or put away. The bag goes into the garbage can.
Isn’t science wonderful?
I don’t even get paid for this commercial.

@@@@ News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life goes on without pigeons.– Where have all the pigeons gone. That’s the number one question in Pigeon Falls today.
People stopping at Nancy’s coffee shop and offering a number of theories to Nellie Wigander who is running the shop while Nancy is on her honeymoon. Nellie is not as good a listener as Nancy and tends to cut people short. She is tired of people suggesting the pigeons flew south because it is going to be such a cold winter. She cuts them off with a “That’s not likely. We’ve had cold winters before and they never left. Somebody suggested that the growing wolf population scared them .Nellie thought that made no more sense than the going south theory. It would have to be a pretty dumb pigeon to get caught by a wolf. The theory Nellie likes is that the government has some kind of secret project that has driven the pigeons out. Perhaps, high frequency radio waves that only pigeons can hear. Nellie has been angry with the government ever since her father was arrested for tax evasion. He hadn’t paid his taxes in fifteen years. He didn’t think the government had done anything worth giving his money for. He said when we get a government that spends our money on useful things rather than the military and making war he would gladly pay taxes. At his trial his lawyer argued that not paying taxes was a form of free speech but the jury didn’t buy it. So Nellie is always willing to believe the government is behind any bad thing.
Petrovich says he has another driblet and will publish it on his website as soon as he gets it translated in full. Some of the Coptic words are giving him trouble as they have several possible meanings.
******

Today's Link-Good Boy Gone Bad-What to do when somebody starts a rumor about you.
It was a hard breathing day. I used oxygen all day. In the morning both Betty and I went to the clinic for lab tests. She has a doctor's appointment tomorrow and I have one on Thursday. Then we went out for breakfast. Came home in time for the soaps. Then I put a bunk bed up for sale on the Neenah sale and barter group. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for linking me up! I was so freaked out when my site was down just now. And it's back again! :D Thanks a lot ya!

6:08 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I've heard many good things about these Glad bags - such as steaming entire meals in them.

6:20 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Tell me more about these Glad bags. You've made me hungry for corn.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

I wonder if we can get the Glad Bags for Corn here in Canada Hmmm!

Now you made me hungry for corn on the cob.

A Blessed Day is wished for you and Betty

8:17 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

"But now science has come to my rescue. The corn I had yesterday was placed in a special Glad bag with a little water. It was placed in the microwave where it steamed for four minutes. It was every bit as good as the boiled corn."

Well you can't microwave sex, but instant corn on the cob, and instant mash with a dollop of water

That is satisfying & gratifying, like sex with a pinch of salt?

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We ate fresh corn-on-the-cob almost daily at Friday Harbor. Yum. Yum.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

i hope Betty's appt is all good news. and i'm glad you are going on thursday to see the doc, you are having too many bad breathing days. i'm worried about you. i hope you are keeping a log of how bad the breathing has been so that he/she knows what is going on day to day.

i hope your bunk bed sells for a good price for both, buyer and seller.

pls take extra care and have some extra rest and pls tell the doc what is happening with your lungs...we all love you and care for you...


sending you both our best thoughts and wishes...xoxoxooxox

3:33 PM  
Blogger Nessa said...

I love corn on the cob.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

I think Petrovich should write a book. They could sell it in the fiction section at Barnes & Noble. Why is he the only one apparently deciphering Gregnicov's driblets?

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Dr. John GO! Eat lots of corn so you'll have the "trots" like I do whenever I eat corn on the cob.
Since I love the stuff, I'll have the "trots" whenever corn is in season. :-)))

8:54 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Did Garrison Keillor really say that?

Naaahhh!

Ha! But I do like corn on the cob.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am a corn on the cob fan from way back.
One of my favorite memories is sitting at the 'big' table as a child with my family, grandparents included, during a holiday- and watching my grandmother slather butter all over her corn on the corn- salting it heavily and chomping every bit of it. YUM.

She used the big boiling pan, of course, but that was in "the day".

4:02 AM  
Blogger -atomik kitten said...

Personally, I like roasted corn.

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home