Monday, September 10, 2007

On Winning- Sort of

Saying for the day- The real problem in Oz is that the curtain opened.

The Green Bay Packers won yesterday. It was not a beautiful game. They did not play that well. The truth is that their opponent played even worse. It was one of those games that went to the least incompetent rather than to the one with the greatest skill. But they did win and so Packer fans are happy.
Patrick and I won at canasta last night. We didn’t win because were better players . We just got better cards. There are nights when you know just what to do and never get that one card that makes it possible. But we won and that makes us happy.
You can say all you want about winning not being important but winning makes us happy. Losing does not.
The problem with winning is that it allows one to hold onto illusions. Packer fans can keep believing that this is the year of another Super Bowl. I can keep believing I have some skill at cards.
I guess it’s okay to hang onto an illusion. The fact that your team has a quarterback who once was great but now is mediocre at best can be ignored. It makes you feel good that he who took you to a championship still leads the team.
The problem with the illusion is that it will run into reality . You will lose and then what.
That’s simple ! You blame the coach or at canasta you blame your partner.
Just don’t let us see the man behind the curtain.

@@@@ News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and it is just too quiet.-How do you see that something isn’t there. It took awhile for people to notice that the pigeons weren’t there anymore. It was quiet for one thing. There was no coo , coo, coo. The car came home from church with nothing on the roof that had to be cleaned off. The birdseed by the Town Hall went uneaten. And little by little it has become clear that the pigeons are gone.
Pigeon Falls with no pigeons is now a reality.
Eino says they will be back. It has nothing to do with that silly prophecy.
Petrovich is saying that he told them this was going to happen. He is now searching through the driblets to see if there is another one that might give them some help.
If Nancy's new husband ever finishes his book " Murder in a Small Town" he could start another one entitled " The Quiet of the Pigeons" or perhaps " The Day the Pigeons Vanished". At this moment, however, he and Nancy are in Florida on their honeymoon. One doubts they are very much worried about pigeons.
Are the pigeons really gone? Will they ever return ? Will Pigeon Falls have to change its name to Pigeonless Falls? Can Petrovich find another driblet? Will the Packers win next Sunday? and of course Is Tommy UK really the undertaker's kid?
*****

Today's link-Mothers on the Verge-Some thoughts on putting the kid to bed.
It was a rainy , dreary day here in Neensah. I worked on the computer, watched my soaps and visited blogs. Betty is painting the train table in the basement. I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

16 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

Win or loose, it's how you play the game.

5:54 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

i'm glad luck was at your side and you got good cards. i'm glad you won.

here is a wish for today to be a better breathing day. and here is hoping that you and Betty slept well last night.

much love and hugs from us here to all there. xo

5:58 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Go Packers! I can say that because the Steelers won yesterday and I'm happy.

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would take a "mediocre" Brett Favre to all the flashy overpaid QB's in a heartbeat.

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dad used to say "show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser." The Steelers won yesterday. I'm happy.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I think we would have done better last year if Aaron Rodgers were put in but Brett is part of the family and I would really miss him!!!!!

I think the reason why we have been happily married for as long as we have is because the Packers did well....now I am seeing another side of the man I married.....when we start losing, I go take a nap.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

It's hard to say what those veteran quarterback will do for a team, but I do hope he hasn't gone one year to long.

Gosh, even my Vikinds won, but I'm not holding my breath either for any playoff chances..I've done that too many times..lol

12:46 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Alas Dr John,
for every 'winner' there has to be a loser - and someone to blame - whether the coach or the partner in canasta.

1:50 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Is there no game yet where both sides (or all sides) WIN
Now that would deserve the Nobel Peace Prize

And who knows, it could even be fun to watch and/or to play
I wonder if they play check in Outer Space or the great beyond.

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"YAP" quasar9 said it "for every 'winner' there has to be a loser" Wish you well :)

3:33 PM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Hmm. My comment appears to have gone out into cyberspace.

Basically, watching the post game interviews yesterday with the Eagles and their fans, close your eyes and it sounds just like they do after the Packers lose.

Tommy TW could name the next murder novel The Silence of the Pigeons!

4:10 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Nicely written! What a kind way to put our feelings about Bret. I always root for him hoping he will be able to end his career with a storybook finish, but alas, not all stories have a storybook ending. Reality will hit the illusion. My illusion right now is that the Tigers still have a hope to be in the playoffs. They came back to beat Toronto tonight by scoring four runs in the bottom of the 9th two outs and nobody on. The celebration after that win, brought the illusion into something I believe can happen. It's like that with GB, too. Hey, a win's a win. One game at a time.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

ah, it makes me feel old to think of Brett Favre as mediocre......I remember watching him through his hayday years. (he was born just four days after my eldest son). So I have watched his career. Most of my sports favorites are now reaching the retirement age or have already retired....

You want pigeons? Send me your address.....I GOT pigeons, haha

8:43 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

I think a lot of things in life are run by that little man behind the curtain in Oz, pulling levers. Take transit planners, for instance. Who ever actually sees them? But they can make the worst mess out of what might otherwise be a good transit system, and stay hidden out of sight while they do it. It's all done with smoke and mirrors.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

I play scrabble online all the time....I love winning! Im all smiles....but when Im losing....Im not smiling! I blame it on the crappy tiles they are giving out!!! lol

10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have pigeons -- zebra striped little things. Quite cute. I don't think they'd like Pigeon Falls much after growing up in Hawaii.

12:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home