Thursday, May 11, 2006

Way Back When-The Praying Horse

Saying for the Day: If you over feed a horse it will bloat.

My grandfather John, my son’s great grandfather, my grandchildren’s great great grandfather, worked in the mine, had a farm and ran a boarding house.

He had no car but they did have a horse and buggy. The problem was that the horse looked terrible. It was sway backed and very , very thin.

My grandfather took a lot of teasing in the mine because of that horse. So grandpa never rode in the buggy when they went to the farm. That is until they got to the edge of town where no one would see him. He would walk that far not to be associated with the horse. When he came back to the boarding house he would get off at the edge of town and walk in.

He couldn’t sell the horse because grandma loved it and would never part with it. But he complained a lot.

So one day my grandmother and Aunt Ida decided to fatten the horse up. All day they fed it oats. Now if you know anything about horses you know this is the wrong thing to do. If you feed the horse too much or change his feed pattern dramatically it will fill with gas and bloat. This makes the horse very sick and can lead to death.

By the time grandpa came home the horse was showing signs of being ill. When he discovered what they had done he took the horse to the alley to try to walk it off. The horse, however, was to sick to walk and fell down on its knees. At this point my grandfather did what had to be done. He stuck a big needle into the horse’s stomach to let the gas out. This worked and the horse survived.

Now it should have ended there but one of grandpa’s miner friends happened to be going by when it happened. When he went to work the next day they teased him about having a horse so lazy that they saw it in the alley praying not to have to pull the wagon. They did have to admit, however, that it did seem to have gained a little weight.

Poor grandpa . It was months before they found somebody else to torment. The family always remembered the horse that prayed.

@@@
9800 spins without a win. In just four more days Old Hapless may reach 10,000 spins without a prize. When he started he assumed by now he would have at least won $5.00. He should start planning the big losers party unless he holds until he reaches 15,000 spins. Well he has four days to decide.
Well Uncle Wiggly lovers if Old Hapless doesn't win a prize tomorrow and thus end this silly section we will be back with another chapter of " As the World Spins"
****

Betty got some disturbing news this morning. Her sister has a brain tumor. Apparently the prognosis for recovery is good but we would ask our friends to pray for her. We spent part of the day waiting for two people who never came. I hate that. My son, Peter , called and he still has a really bad cold. We swaped symptoms. Betty has gone to the ELCW meeting. I need a nreathing treatment.
GBYA

8 Comments:

Blogger Louisiana said...

I loved your memory. How beautiful. I didn't know anything about horses so thanks for the lesson. And oh my goodness they almost killed the horse...good thing he knew what to do. So you remember the horse?
People often talk of now a days life being so busy that most have to do multiple taskings.That life was 'esier' back when.
It sounds to me like your grandparents had their had very full with a farm, boarding house and working the mine.I guess things have changed but people are still just as busy..Maybe things haven't necessarily changed so much after all...

5:27 AM  
Blogger kristi said...

It is a shame that even back then that there was peer pressure. But I bet it was really a good horse, thank goodness that he saved it, I would not have known what to do.

5:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once tried that with a relative after a particularly hearty Christmas dinner.

But when I stuck the needle in, he screeched and flew out of the window.

Never to be seen again.

Even by the search party.

Oooh, look! My word is fatbhu!

9:14 AM  
Blogger butterflies said...

Its a generational thing..my parents had a old bomb car that I used to hide down on the floor or make them stop down the raod from school so my friends wouldnt see me! I think I would have prefered a sway back horse..
I will add Bettys sister to my prayer list.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

You must have added the bit of Betty's sister after the post came up because i didn't see it there...Of course we will pray. I'm so sorry for the news. I am happy to hear that the prognosis is good. My mom has battled 2 different types of cancer. 1. thryroid and 2. cervical..at different times but not too far apart...She has been in remission. So the point of that is to tell you that there is always hope and the odds when caught early are very good...Hugs to your family. Thank you for sharing and allowing us to help in some way..

5:15 PM  
Blogger Penelda said...

Well I am glad that I popped in for a visit because this isn't a story I had heard before or one I remember being told.
I will add Aunt Sue to my prayers really outs a sore hand into perspective

5:51 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

I am so sorry a bout Bettys sister.....she is in my prayers.

That poor horse....lol...you have the best stories, I love em.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Visiting from Annette's blog. I enjoyed the story of the praying horse.

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home