Monday, August 24, 2009

Health Care


We have a health care crisis.
I know because my President said so and he wouldn’t lie.
To solve that crisis my brave Democratic House has put forth a 16000 page Omnibus bill.
I have never read the bill.
Many congressmen who voted for it never read it.
But their staff did and the staff says its wonderful.
I trust the staff.
The problem is that many Americans aren’t trusty souls like me.
They don’t trust the government.
It seems they have been lied to in the past by both Republican and Democratic Presidents.
They have been told by congress that legislation wouldn’t do something only to find out later it did.
Or they were told the cost of a government action only to discover the cost was much , much higher.
So they don’t trust the government.
Silly people.
Haven’t they read the bill?
It says exactly what it says.
It would play out exactly as it would play out.
The price , at the moment, is a mere couple of trillion dollars.
So why do they keep going to those open meetings and asking stupid questions.
Of course there are no death squads in the bill. That’s that crazy Palin saying that. Ignore her.
Just because something could lead to something doesn’t mean it will.
Come on folks trust your government.
They have only your best interests at heart.
Besides when you ask those stupid questions you tick off my sister.
She thinks your really dumb and have been mislead by the crazy right.
This is the time for us to pull together.
There is a crisis here.
Either come up with a solution of your own or shut up.
Got that Republicans.
However don’t be a CEO of a company and propose other solutions.
John Mackey, CEO of Whole Foods did that on the op-ed page of the Wall Street Journal. Believing that the President really wanted to hear alternative solutions.
He proposed eight actions that would cost the federal government very little to implement but that would have made a real impact on the system.
His reward for doing what a good citizen was called on to do.
Some Democratic leaders have called for a boycott of Whole Foods, his company.
But I know they had a good reason for that.
They are probably upset because he didn’t read the 16000 pages.
If he had he would know that his were not on the approved list of other ideas.
We just have to learn to trust our leaders.
Don't propose things they don't want to hear.
Got that Republicans.
There are poor people who need health care.
The President and the Democrats are ready to save them.
Get out of the way.
Trust your government.
My sister does.

20 Comments:

Anonymous Quilly said...

Excuse me. I can't comment right now. I have to run down to Whole Foods and buy a truckload of groceries.

2:02 AM  
Blogger forever lost said...

can i just shake your hand! thank you sir!
if our country just wasnt so hard hearted! MEDICAID/MEDICARE/CASH 4 KLUNKERS/ POST OFFICE/VET HOSPITIALS...

2:30 AM  
Blogger forever lost said...

oh and that is the second great thing whole foods has done! Not all of us tree huggers/hippies are the same (THANK YOU GOD)

2:32 AM  
Blogger Lone Grey Squirrel said...

I now very clear on what your sister thinks.....how about you?

3:00 AM  
Blogger Russell said...

Very well stated! Applause, applause!

Trust your government? Well, no, uh.... but I do agree with "In God We Trust." But I am not religious... Jesus has not talked to ME today but He talks to my co-worker all the time...!! Oh well... Still, I will go with In God We Trust long before placing too much trust in government!

But I do hope they can manage to work something out. Perhaps a compromise of some sort so that all the uninsured can have some sort of coverage.

The compromise will be worked out in the boardrooms of insurance companies first -- not the halls of Congress...

Take care.

4:15 AM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

I wouldn't trust our Government to know what day it is!

5:05 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

Don't forget that there are still proposals in discussion, not a done deal 1600 pages, etc. Also, the 3 Dems and 3 Reps that are in the committee writing this thing aren't the best ones to do this, based on their record.

What I don't understand are people old enough to have Medicare who are against "government" health care, but who are unwilling to say that they would gladly go without that source of payment. And also, since the private health insurance companies administer Medicare, what's the beef against those companies?

If each doctor's office could streamline its staff because insurance wasn't so complicated, then millions of $ could be saved across the country.

5:50 AM  
Blogger Lou said...

Oy, don't get me started on the health care bill.

Excellent post! I too will start shopping at Whole Foods now.

7:11 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

I was just getting ready to raise my hand and rant about the fact that the government doesn't WANT to hear OUR ideas when you GOT to that part! So okay... If I can find a Whole Foods near here, I'll shop them! ;)

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I trust our government about as far as I can throw them :)

9:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Excuse me while I google Whole Foods to see where the nearest market is!

Great post. I guess I have some reading to do, how long do you think it will take to read 16,000 pages?

5:03 PM  
Blogger Baron's Life said...

Well the President said and he wouldn't lie now would he?

5:11 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

I'd rather be a sheep then a sheperd so I guess I'm screwed either way!
Love Di

5:30 PM  
Blogger KB said...

Thanks for the info. It's good to stay informed of what is happening in your country. I feel your emotion in this piece.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Melissa B. said...

The person we shouldn't trust is that bloviated fool, Rush Limbaugh. Shame on him and Sarah Palin for trying to kill the old folks!

6:06 PM  
Blogger Carma Sez said...

Yeah, there's no one I would trust more than the government. We are in good hands ;-)

7:22 PM  
Anonymous the amoeba said...

Mr. MacKey's published remarks (which are here, for those who haven't seen them and aren't inclined to go hunting) are thought-provoking. They are not necessarily any better than anyone else's, but they do not appear to deserve the vitriolic reaction that they have received.

In the reaction, and indeed in the remarks here, there is a common theme. "THEY did it. Damn THEM". I disagree.

WE did this.

Last I knew, this government WE don't trust wasn't installed by some South American dictator. WE voted it in.

What was the basis for OUR vote? Facts?

No. Campaign promises. The more outlandish the better. Without which, WE would consign the candidates to oblivion.

"Make costs transparent so that consumers understand what health-care treatments cost." - MacKey

Any candidate who actually did that would have a vote tally well below the Nader line.

The system proposed doesn't matter. The ideology underlying the system proposed doesn't matter. Until We The People learn to base our votes, and our governments, on facts (some of which are going to be damned hard ones) instead of pipe dreams, the system will fail. It will fail.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Jientje said...

I'm not an American, and I don't "do" politics (not even in Belgium) but this was an interesting read. As are the comments here. Thanks.

12:23 AM  
Blogger aims said...

Dr. John. You told me you were very scared of our health system and what would happen to the United States if they implemented something like what we have.

I didn't get back to you on that right away because I was out helping my brother with his rafting.

I did think about your statement during that time and I know I wanted to find a computer and tell you this.

I can go to sleep at night knowing that if I get sick I can go to the doctor and not lose my house. If I am desperately sick they will see that I get looked after right away. If I'm going to live until they can get to me - then fine - I'll live in pain or whatever - but they'll get to me.

Today I posted partially on why I feel things happened the way they did at the doctor's office last week. Please have a look.

I believe President Obama is just trying to make the United States a better place for EVERYONE to live in. Not just the people with money and insurance.

I've considered moving to New Orleans. I would love to in fact. However - I couldn't afford to do so because I've had many health issues over the years and I know I couldn't afford to see a doctor there. I would have to be a part time citizen so that I could flee back to Canada to see a doctor.

That's sad. That isn't how it should be. Everyone has health issues. We all need doctors. We all want to live healthy lives.

Do you know that a lot of our doctors make what your nurses make? They are not millionaires. They work here in Canada because they want to help. Not to make a fortune.

Anyway - just wanted to tell you a few things. I believe President Obama truly wants to make the United States into what it used to be. For the people. All the people.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Diane M. Roth said...

I just want you to know that I do think our health care system has some big problems, but not because our president says so. I've seen and heard things with my own eyes. I don't need my president to say it for me.

Your sarcasm is so helpful.

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home