Monday, January 18, 2010

The Devil Rides

This morning everything was ready to send Gerald Vanderbolt III to the Psychiatric Facility in Texas.
Chief Ican had all the documents he needed for the committal.
Mrs. Trumble had arranged with a friend to have a private plane ready at the Iron Mountain airport to fly them to the private airport of the center.
Chief Ican took Gerald on the morning milk train and they left for Iron Mountain.
That’s when it happened. Gerald said he had to go to the bathroom. Chief Ican stationed himself outside the door and waited for him to come out but he didn’t. After fifteen minutes Ican knocked on the door and there was no response. . Now he was afraid Gerald might be trying to kill himself .
There being no conductor and Ican having no key he kicked the door open. There was nobody in the little room. Gerald had vanished.
A careful examination of the rest room clearly showed there was no other way out and no window. There was no way he could have gotten out of that rest room except through the door and he didn’t come through there. He had simply vanished.
Chief Ican was bewildered but he thought “ At least we don’t have to worry about Vanderbolt again. He won’t be back.”
Every once in a while I get a real crazy idea.
Something just seems to lodge in my head.
This time it’s a new phrase that Argent's last wordzzle created in my head.

When the Devil rides to work on a snow mobile.

It would replace the old “ When hell freezes over”.

It’s new. Its lighter. It has a better feel but it means the same thing.

Suppose, for example, you were a liberal Democrat and somebody asked are you going to vote for Sarah Palin in the next Presidential election?
You could respond “ Ya sure when the devil rides to work on a snow mobile.”

Or if you were a conservative Republican and somebody asked if you intended to vote for Obama the next time around.
You could respond “ Ya sure when the devil rides to work on a snow mobile.”

What I want to do is get the phrase out into general usage.
I need you to put it on your blog with a call to replace “ When Hell freezes over with it”
This is our chance to create an idiom.

Come join me.

Don't wait until " The Devil rides to work on a snow mobile."

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a great vanishing story. A good detective movie will be great to watch.

2:13 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

Ok, I did it by copying you.

5:38 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

How clever you are Dr. John! I love this new phrase and I will use it whenever I can!
Love Di

6:41 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Silly Chief! Vanderbolt will certainly return! But NOT in time to go to the whacko house!

Okay... so I will help you promote this stolen phrase concept of yours! Tomorrow maybe...

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This seems to me like a tag that you so despise but hey I'll bite.

Pigeon Falls seems like it's getting back to normal.

8:57 AM  
Blogger aims said...

Well - if someone was sending me (back) to the whacko house - I'd probably try to disappear too.

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope the Chief can flush him out of hiding!

9:57 AM  
Blogger Argent said...

Hi DrJ, one of your commenters told me you'd mentioned the snowmobile thing. Haha - I had no idea you were so taken with it. Actually, we should thank Raven too for including the word snowmobile in the first place. And now I'm going to have to get into your posts here too. Did Gerald escape thru the loo?

10:24 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

I will think about it Dr John, But It have to wait until at least Wednesday. My Mircofiction Monday is up and Portrait of Words is ready to Auto~Publish for 19 January {Tuesday} at 0001 MST. Can't let anything interfere with Blanche and her story.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Dulçe ♥ said...

Yes- Maybe so would I.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Maude Lynn said...

What a great turn of phrase!

1:50 PM  
Blogger inappropriatesue said...

I might have to borrow that one :)

5:32 PM  
Blogger Cherie said...

I like the new phrase! I'll work on it. :)

7:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the clarification my friend. I do see the difference now. My humble apologies :)

7:58 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Dr. John, I like your new phrase.
I am a liberal republican who would vote against Palin and for Obama. Would that phrase apply to me.

I have a solution for the Chief but it won't find Gerald. Many people who need to be committed do strange things.
Gerald has slipped down the drain. I hope he is safe until he can be delivered.
I still don't like sending him to Texas. ;-)
..

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Alice Audrey said...

You make me happy all the time, and not just with Pigeon Falls.

8:33 PM  
Anonymous quilly said...

Thom used your new idiom in the comments of my blog today. I thought he was very clever. I should have known it was really you!

And I hope Chief Ican is up to eating his own words.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Gattina said...

I didn't know the expression, "When Hell freezes over with it" so it's easy for me to use the new one, which inspires more the imagination, lol ! I hope I don't mix up our postwoman with the devil now !

11:49 PM  
Blogger anthonynorth said...

Ah, now, a problem. My local council, responsible for clearing the snow, has a telephone number ending in 666.

12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home