Thursday, January 14, 2010

Another Flash 55

This morning Chief Ican was called to Last Lutheran by the secretary. It seems Pastor Joan found a vagrant sleeping in the quilt closet and her opening the closet door woke him up. He has a great big knife and is really scary looking. He took a swing at Pastor Joan with the knife but it failed to hit her. It was at this point that the secretary ran back to the office and called Chief Ican.
When he got there he found the man looking confused. He was wearing an ill-fitting sports coat over a Packer sweater , an old pair of jeans , and one swamper and one Wing tipped shoe. Aside from the swamper he was definitely not dressed for winter in the Upper Peninsula. He was still holding the knife.
Chief Ican took the knife away from him and then had a problem. What should he do with him. He could arrest him for breaking and entering, possession of a dangerous weapon, and attempted bodily harm. But then he would have to drive him to Crystal Falls and jail him there. Then when the trial came up he and Pastor Joan would have to travel on Winter roads to testify against him. When all was said and done he would probably be found not guilty by reason of insanity. There really was no system in place to care for him after that. All of that would cost time and taxpayer money and gain nothing.
So he put him in the local jail cell while he decided what to do.

Friday 55 Flash Fiction is brought to you by G-man (Mr Knowitall). The idea is you write a story in exactly 55 words. If you want to take part pop over and let G-man know when you've posted your 55. Here is my first story:
Poor King

The King ran low on cash.
Desperate, he went to Croesus, to ask for a loan on the Diamond Star of the Euphrates.

Croesus offered him 100,000 dinars ."

the King protested. "Don't you know who I am? I am the king!"

Croesus replied,




"When you wish to pawn a Star, makes no difference who you are."



Since I discovered it was okay I am writing a second flash 55 which will be a continuous story but a complete story every week. Here then is the thirty ninth chapter in the exciting ongoing adventures of Sir Laughsalot and Robberhood.

The entire story to date is HERE
The most recent chapters are HERE

Meanwhile back in Surewood Forest Robberhood's Merry band has come on hard times.
Since Robberhood's death at the hands of the Shining Knight they have not robbed.
They are broke and hungry.
Time to rob the rich and give to the poor.
Friar Tuckeredout will lead them.
They are not afraid of the Castle Knights.

21 Comments:

Blogger smarmoofus said...

hahahaha! Lots of humor this week. I'm already excited for this batch of 55s. Love it! (And the pic of Jiminy is a nice touch.)

I'm up, too!
-smarmoofus

5:05 PM  
Blogger Brian Miller said...

i know a few pawn stars...sorry, could not resist. love the 55. and i was so hoping for laughsalot, but alas...and intriguing chapter none th less.


mine is up!

5:13 PM  
Anonymous sheila said...

lol, this is my first time here. And my first 55. This is fun!

5:27 PM  
Blogger G-Man said...

Groaner? This was one of your Best Ones!!
I loved it!
Excellent 55 Doc...
Thanks for this most whimsical contribution, and have a Wonderful Week-End...G

5:42 PM  
Blogger Janna said...

LOL! (And groan! :)
I like it... in fact, this one might be one of my favorites you've done.

I keep hearing Jiminy Cricket singing... (Here's hoping I don't accidentally step on him in the middle of the night when I get up to go to the bathroom.)

My own Friday 55 is ready too, right here. :)

8:38 PM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

A lovely flash 55. I will consider starting this too.

9:52 PM  
Anonymous quilly said...

[cheers]
[applause]

Dr. John, you are the Word Master!

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very well done. :) You are so creative :)

12:32 AM  
Blogger anthonynorth said...

Now that's what I call redistribution of wealth :-)
Nice one.

12:39 AM  
Blogger Hootin Anni said...

Dr. J....this is super. You never cease to amaze me with a play on words!!!

My FF55 is fiction to some, but to others not so. It's...

HERE

[scroll down below my pencils sketches to find "The Shaft-a"]

3:49 AM  
Blogger Susan at Stony River said...

Aw the poor Merry Band! It's after Christmas and I'm on another diet, so I'm broke and hungry too.
:-p

Remind me not to pawn any stars LOL
I enjoyed these!

6:13 AM  
Blogger Lou said...

I nominate it best 55 of the week (OK, I have not read them all..but I really, really like this one;)

6:22 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Just catching up here, Dr. John.
That Dr. Jim is a softie and push-over. Don't offer to give him something twice or he'll take it on the second offer. Every time.

Please don't let the chief and the pastor turn that vagrant out on the streets. First he needs his knife back for survival and secondly he obviously could use a lot of help in many ways.

Two things I don't believe are sins:
1. stealing from the rich; and
2. lying (if it isn't malicious and doesn't hurt anyone--the latter is more commendable when said with a smile or smirk).

Glad your and Betty's medical items are fairly well under control. It is good too that you got your H1N1 vaccinations. We have the regular flu vacs but not H1N1.
..

7:47 AM  
Blogger Maude Lynn said...

That 55 is hilarious!

8:43 AM  
Blogger Monkey Man said...

Shaggy groaner. Fun 55. My 55 is here.

9:37 AM  
Blogger aims said...

Good one Dr. John. Brought a smile to my face - and that's hard to do these days. Thank you.

10:12 AM  
Blogger clean and crazy said...

clever, clever!!

2:28 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

See? THIS is what I LOVE about Chief Ican! He takes the law into his own hands and handles it wisely! He'll have that guy put to work somewhere making a living wage and full belly in NO time! And a roof over his head t'boot!

Absoluuuuutely love that first 55! LOL! And sounds like Surewood Forest is going to come alive again!

3:11 PM  
Blogger sheila said...

Not only did I love your 55, lol...but I loved your comment on mine! ha ha ha! You're funny.!

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Alice Audrey said...

I love the way Ican thinks.

5:14 PM  
Blogger hope said...

Any time you can turn a childhood classic into a pun with a moral, I'm applauding. :)

I tried to e-mail you a piece of birthday cake but it didn't work.

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home