Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Things I Enjoy

Today's Saying
I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys.
~Charles Dickens

Lou at Subdural Flow tagged me with this meme and I agreed to do it, with the provision that I tag nobody.If you want to do the meme feel free. Just list five things you enjoy.

Five Things I enjoy.
1. I enjoy reading. At this moment I am reading two books. One is my in the car book for when I’m waiting for Betty or Pennie who are just running in for a minute and the other is my when I get a spare moment in the house book. The car book has three old time Ellery Queen Detective stories and the house book has three Diana Tregarde stories which are more fantasy oriented.

2. I enjoy visits from my grandchildren and sharing family stories with them.

3. I enjoy going to Church. I enjoy the fellowship, the music, the sermon, and just being there. Any week my health keeps me from going I feel cheated.

4. I really enjoy my electric scooter. It gives me freedom. I can zip around Wal Mart or any store with my oxygen tank in the basket and not have somebody push me in a wheelchair. In he wheel chair you go were they push you in my scooter I go where I want.

5. I enjoy blogging.. It and my electric train layout give me something to do in my retirement. Without blogging I would be bored out of my skull. Then there is the bonus of all the nice people I have me on line.. From the time I got out of the hospital until now blogging has opened new worlds to me.




Покладіть кота в воду отвір - Джон Грін
Yesterday at around noon Chief Ican saw a well suddenly appear on main street. “Here we go again”.He thought.
Then a boy dressed in green came up to the well with a cat and threw it in. Soon after a fat boy came and pulled the cat out shaking a finger at the boy in green. Then they vanished and it started over again.
The Chief remembered the nursery rhyme that started :
“Ding Dong Dell
Pussy’s in the well.”
He also knew that in due time the entire well would just fade away. His problem was that it was right in the middle of the town’s one street. With the boys coming and going it was blocking traffic. In the summer he could direct them to the unpaved side street along the railroad track behind the buildings but this was winter and that wasn’t plowed. So he got a couple of men and they pushed the well over to the side of the street. That allowed such traffic as Pigeon Falls has to move again. Of course that didn’t prevent Tom Sparnol from getting so caught up in the cat drowning that he ran into a light pole. Tom said it wasn’t that but his artificial leg got caught on the accelerator. Chief Ican accepted that explanation as he didn’t want to embarrass a decorated war veteran.
About four o’clock the well slowly faded away.
“What next?” the Chief wondered. He paged through a book of nursery rhymes. “So many possibilities” he thought. “ Any one of them could take on life on our main street. We can only hope the kid takes Christmas off to play with the gifts.”

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Technology And we are present always.
Thanks to technology.

1:55 AM  
Anonymous quilly said...

I am starting to worry about what that kid might do next. Ending up with pockets full of posies might be okay, but falling down dead -- not so much.

2:11 AM  
Blogger Dulçe ♥ said...

Being able to enjoy such things is great Dr. Not everyone knows well the real meaning of enjoy...

If only humans were all year round like we are, give and enjoy things at Xmas...

Merry Xmas

2:35 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

I am glad you enjoy blogging as well, I've met a Good Friend because of it.

Merry Christmas

5:25 AM  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

Maybe the child will hear Luke 2....

5:52 AM  
Blogger Russell said...

Sounds like you have your priorities in the right order! I laughed at your comment about the book in the car to read when someone goes into the store for just a minute.

I really liked seeing the Christmas trees in one of your recent posts. They look like REAL Christmas trees - not the theme trees that a lot of people have today.

I see Menards has a freight and passenger Lionel train set on sale for about $100 (less actually). I just might get it this year. I have been threatening to do so for the last ten! Can't beat a Lionel O gauge!

5:58 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

All I know is Peter Länsivuori's WIFE better watch out if Peter, Peter Pumpkin Eater comes up!

I love your list of pleasures! Much of that would be on MY list too! I may do that later... but it really would be quite similar!

6:52 AM  
Blogger Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

My five are: family,church,pets,gardening and holidays!
<><

8:00 AM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

Those are five good things Dr. John.

Mine are my family, holidays, reading, gardening and shopping! :)

8:06 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

I am glad you found blogging. We would not know each other exists, let alone be blog friends, if it weren't for blogging. This was a good meme, I like ones that make a person write nice answers.

That poor cat. This would be the time for Eugene to show back up with the magic lady witch. She might could bring him back to life.
..
I enjoy blogging, eating, driving (fast when I can), church activities, and family. One or more of those might be sins.
..

8:10 AM  
Blogger Lou said...

I wanted to put blogging on my list, but I ran out of room;) Yes, the friends made blogging..who knew!

Merry, Merry Christmas to you Dr. and family.

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe they need Hickory Dickory Dock to get time a moving in Pigeon Falls...Chief Ican is so smart not to embarass Tom ... Very nice of him

Great list Dr. John.

Merry Christmas to you and your entire family :)

9:43 AM  
Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

What a great blog and list of things you enjoy. I discovered your blog through Lou's. :)

9:48 AM  
Blogger aims said...

So - what the little girl says is something about 'cat in the water'.

Well done Dr. John.

And I too am glad you found blogging and some how found me.

With only a few days left and here's me snowed under (no pun intended) with painting and renovations -

I hope you enjoy all your holiday times during this Christmas. However - Christmas day does not let you off of walking - just because it's Christmas. As a gift to yourself - add a minute ;0)

11:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love that God and family were both on your list of things you enjoy! How beautiful. I hope you get a wonderful, heaping dose of both this Christmas season!

God bless Dr. John and a very Merry Christmas to you and yours!

1:02 PM  
Blogger Melissa B. said...

Charles Dickens is Da Man...for real! Blogging is my thing, too. My family says it could be an addiction...

1:05 PM  
Blogger aya ahmed said...

شركة مكافحة حشرات بالباحة
نقل عفش بالرياض
شركة تركيب طارد حمام بالخرج
شركة نقل عفش من جدة الى الرياض
شركة نقل عفش من مكة الى المدينة المنورة

3:30 PM  
Blogger aya ahmed said...

تنظيف خزانات بجدة
شركة تنظيف خزانات بجدة
شركة تنظيف مكيفات بجدة
شركة تنظيف خزانات في جدة
شركة تنظيف خزانات بجدة
شركة تنظيف بجدة

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home