Friday, December 11, 2009

Friday Fourteen

Today's Saying

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. ~Author Unknown

Click HERE to get to my 55s

What you are about to read leans on the truth and bends it ever so little . But in the process every Friday you will catch a glimpse of me.And I save the cost of a psychiatrist.

1. Last week I learned and relearned some things. ( Stems from never being too old to learn)
2. I learned there is no use trying to argue with an angry person ( Stems from their having already decided the way things are and that your guilty.)
3. I learned that my intent in writing a comment has no impact on how it is perceived. ( Stems from people reading comments from their perspective and not yours.)
4. I learned that all that you have been and are has no meaning if somebody wants to see you as doing something mean. ( Stems again from anger and this moment blotting everything else out.)
5. I learned that they way I perceive somebody’s blog entry may not be how they intended it to be perceived. ( Stems from my perceptions and personal pain)
6. I learned that people will see things in my blog for the day which weren’t intended and aren’t there. ( Stems from their perceptions and personal pain)
7. I learned that we are far too quick to judge the intent of others. ( Stems from those dang perceptions and personal pain. )\
8. I learned again it is good to have an honest friend that will cut through the bull of a personal pity party and kick you back to God’s grace. ( Stems from there not being many friends like that. Usually they feed the pity)
9. I learned that minutes on a treadmill or waiting for the time to get out of bed are longer than minutes watching a soap opera.( Stems from the way in which we perceive time. I hate long minutes)
10. I learned that moving to Neenah did not set us free from blizzards . ( Stems from the stupid hope we would have much less snow here than in the UP.)
11. I learned they close the mall in a blizzard. ( Stems from no customers I suppose.)
12. I learned how hard it is for an old man who has trouble standing without something to hold onto to wrap Christmas gifts. ( Stems from wrapping Betty’s while she was at Bible study)
13. I learned , by reading blogs, of a lot of wonderful things people are doing for people they don’t know as part of their Christmas celebration. ( Stems from Christmas bringing out the best in us)
14. I learned again that life is the real university and the people around you are the professors. ( Stems from the way things are.)

Last night Pigeon Falls was hit by a UP blizzard. The snowfall could be measured not in inches but in feet. When people got up this morning they discovered that their power was down and the local phone service gone. There was so much snow blown against their doors they couldn’t open the door to shovel. The man who drives the town snowplow couldn’t get out of his house to get to the plow so that he could begin opening the roads. But if he had made it to the garage there was so much snow blown in against it that he wouldn’t have been able to open the big garage doors and get the plow out.
Mrs. Trumble awoke to find her town completely shut down. She couldn’t even get to her office . So she used her cell phone to call the man who drives the town plow. She told him that she was going to climb out the window and shovel out the back door of her garage so she could get her snowmobile out. Then she would come an get him to go to the town garage and together they would shovel enough to open the door and get the plow out. She then went looking for a window she could get out.
Befoore she could find one, however, the strangest thing happened. The snow began to swirl around and then it all moved like a cloud down the road through town and into the big vacant lot on the edge of town. When the swirrling was over, it took about an hour, the main roadways were clear, the tracks were clear, the main street was clear and people’s driveways were clear. Soon thereafter the power came back on. Sometimes it pays to live in Pigeon Falls.
Tommy UK was very tired from his morning exertions. He had moved with his special power tons of snow and the effort had exhausted him. He really wished his father was back and they could have done this together but he wan’t and so he did what he had to do alone. He went home and went to bed only to have his mother tell him it was time to go to school. That’s when he thought I should have left the school buried in snow. But he got up , had breakfast, and got dressed for school . That’s when the announcement came that the Consolidated High School which was not in Pigeon Falls was closed because of the blizzard. Tommy went back to bed.
Somewhere in Pigeon Falls a good mother is reading a book of nursery rhymes to her children.

13 Comments:

Anonymous quilly said...

I learned a lot of the same things you did this week.

Tommy's powers sure come in handy.

1:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm I can't wrap sitting or standing. Great list my friend. I hate long minutes as well.

Hmmm I'm anxious to find out about that family in Pigeon Falls. Boy...they really had some snow I tell ya :)

1:45 AM  
Blogger Jientje said...

Well, we ARE never too old to learn. A person can be judged far too quick sometimes, but we can not look inside their heads, can we?
I love reading this Friday post Dr John.

5:25 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Sounds like you got a great education this week! WOW! That's a LOT of learning to do in one week!

Now THAT is the kind of snow I would like to get! THAT would be fun! Amazing, phenomenal and a great photo subject! And then I would WIIIIISH for a Tommy to come and take it all away! Ya gotta LOVE that boy! I'm sO glad that he didn't have to go to school after all... Sleep tight Tommy!

Polly put the kettle on
Polly put the kettle on
Polly put the kettle on
We'll all have tea...

7:55 AM  
Anonymous alady's life said...

So true.
Every one's perspective is based on their own personal experiences.
but there is always room to grow and learn from some one elses views.
Keeping an open mind, debating is a mind expanding experience. I value it a lot more than drugs lol
Talking to an angry person is not productive. One must wait till he/she is calm enough to understand what you ar trying to say.
Very good blog!!!

8:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like some very valuable lessons were learned (and relearned) this week for you. So true how things can be misconstrued based on our own level of understand and life experience. Glad you had a friend to pull you out of the muck and mire...they are hard to find and great to keep when we do!

God bless Dr. John!

9:52 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Another wonderful post Dr John, One is never too old to learn.

I've learned that no matter how much snow we get there really isn't anything we can do about it.

You have a wonderful Blessed Weekend. Don't make too many Snowmen and Snowwomen.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Maude Lynn said...

#9 made me laugh!

2:44 PM  
Blogger Cherie said...

Wars have been waged over simple miscommunication. We all struggle with it every day, even if we don't realize it.

5:21 PM  
Blogger anthonynorth said...

A lot of great thought there. I'm always writing things that are taken entirely in the wrong way. It's the beauty of the written word - it needs a writer AND a reader to work it out.

1:10 AM  
Blogger aims said...

Don't you think learning is a wonderful thing? If we quit learning something every day - then we might as well give up.

I'm hoping some of the learning did not come from perceiving something that wasn't meant over at my place.

That being said - I think you and I could learn a lot from each other.

btw - I like to listen to audio books while I am on the treadmill - or doing anything for that matter. I get a lot of 'reading' done that way.

See! Learn something new every day!

:0)

6:53 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Poor old Pigeon Falls folks. In my growing up day there weren't in Nebraska personal snow blowers. They had just come out later when in my adult life I moved to New Hampshire. I still used the shovel.
..
In the Blizzard of '49 my dad had to walk out of the house on the roof of the back porch and up onto a snow drift.
Farmers always keep a shovel in the house for winter. He shoveled down and made a path out from the front door.
..

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]donner wetter[/b][/url]

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]wetter bericht[b][/url]

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home