Monday, December 07, 2009

Disjointed Thoughts

Today's Saying
I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys. ~Charles Dickens

Really Rambling and Disjointed Thoughts
Disjointed thought one.

I need to apologize to the USA Network. On Friday I chided them for killing my favorite TV detective. All of their adds for the final show lead me to believe they were going to kill him. But instead, at the last minute, they found an antidote for the poison, the bad guy committed suicide , Monk found a daughter of Trudy that he didn’t know existed and the ending was such a happy one.
So to the USA network I am sorry ,I doubted you.
You are really good people after all.
Now the door is open for some feature Monk specials or even a Randy series where Monk could guest star from time to time.
I am happy. The world is back in order.

Disjointed thought two

Aquabibs of the world unite.
I am tired of being on the bottom of the social pecking order because my glass has no alcohol in it.
I am not a freak or a religious fanatic ( well I might be a religious fanatic but not about drinking).
I am tired of remarks like “ What’s the matter drinking against your religion?” or “ You think your too good to drink”.
I am tired of trying to make my drink look like theirs.
I have made a rational decision that alcoholic beverages are not good for ME. I have a long family history and some very personal experiences I base this on.
My not drinking in no way judges or implies that anything is wrong with those who choose to drink.
So please stop trying to guilt me or shame me into drinking.

Disjointed thought three

Shopping on line can be weird.
I ordered gifts for my nephews and their families from a good company. They were willing to wrap them ( for a fee) and ship them directly to my nephews complete with a gift card. All I had to do was fill out the addresses. But here they wanted two things I don’t have, their e-mail and their telephone numbers. I never e-mail them. I never call them. I send them a birthday card ,a Christmas gift, and our annual really dumb letter. All I need is their address. Well the e-mail was optional so that was no problem but the telephone number was required. So I called my sister but of course she wasn’t home. So I had to go out on the web and find the numbers , which I did. But that used up a lot more time than the simple task warranted. The company really didn’t need those numbers.
Well now I have their telephone numbers for next year.
Some good can come out of inconvenience.
Or did I forget to write them down ?

Last disjointed thought

Walking on a treadmill is not the same as walking in Wal-Mart. When I walk on the tread mill I have a continuous supply of two liter oxygen making breathing possible. In Wal-Mart I would have to carry the little oxygen tank on the walker. At two liters continuous it does not last very long. On the scooter I set the tank on draw. I take only the oxygen I need and it lasts a couple of hours. The draw setting doesn’t work well for walking. So , for the moment, my freedom from the house is still scooter dependent.

It is a beautiful Monday in Pigeon Falls. The sun is shining. There is a light covering of snow. All the decorations are up. The town is clearly ready for Christmas.
Well the light is out in the stomach of one of the Santa Clauses hanging on main street. Somebody will have to get the extra long ladder and climb up and replace it, not an easy job . Eugene who is now the handyman at the Fly Inn has offered to do it. The town really doesn’t have any full time workers except Mrs. Trumble and the guy that cleans the streets. He, by the way, hates ladders.
Eugene has been working at the Fly Inn for several days now. He doesn’t seem to be tempted to return to drinking though his former drinking buddies are pressuring him to do so. It seems a sober Eugene makes them nervous. They like being drunk and still feel guilty about it. Eugene just smiles and sometimes he buys them a drink as a way of saying I don’t care if you drink.
Mrs. Trumble, however, thinks Eugene would be happier in some other job. She is going to go to the town council and try to get Eugene hired as the town handyman. She thinks the town owes him for the sacrifice he made when they were in the past.
Mrs. Pemberthy is happy having Eugene as a boarder. He has done a lot of the work her son hadn’t gotten around to. Plus he is so polite and kind. She makes him tea every afternoon when he gets home from work.
Next Monday Santa Claus will ride down main street. They have two real deer to pull the sleigh but they aren’t reindeer. They just don’t have a Santa Claus yet.
Somewhere in Pigeon Falls a little child tries to say something an adult said. What comes out sounds like babbling but is really an ancient language long forgotten.
The child said:
Що котрим зараз не є.
Що який ніколи не було потрапив.

20 Comments:

Anonymous quilly said...

No need to apologize to me for not drinking, Dr. John. We might have a beer or cocktail every now and then, but mostly Amoeba and I drink soda or iced tea or water and are perfectly content.

1:26 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

I go for great period of time without ever having a drink even a functions where alcohol flows freely. Drinkers can get a bit pushy but I'm rarely asked twice once I say no.

Giant Crickets Invade Norway

2:07 AM  
Blogger DawnTreader said...

We're way behind you on the Monk series - and now I know how it ends! I'm glad I read your today's note on it though, because I also read you Friday note on it (and thought: how can they do that...) ;)

About the notes on drinking I'm well familiar with that one. I don't use alcohol and never did. Most of the reasons stem from growing up in a home where it was just never part of the family traditions. But not for religious reasons, because church wasn't part of the family traditions either! Becoming a Christian in my teens I found even less reason to start drinking just to be rebellious. I do often find that people tend to Assume things though and to connect the not-drinking to some kind of religious-moral standard rather than a personal decision.

3:48 AM  
Blogger Dulçe ♥ said...

I've always wondered how you find the time to write so beautifully about everyday matters. Yours is an amazing blog, Dr, it is.
I wouldn't have given them their telephone numbers...

4:29 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

Internet shopping can be frustrating but sometimes it makes things easier. I intend to send my daughter her birthday gift via the internet. Why pay shipping twice. If I shop right, shipping may be free!

Take care.

4:52 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

WHO is the WORLD is giving you a hard time about NOT drinking? No one has EVER given me a hard time about NOT drinking! Of course, I do have a drink from time to time - and I HAVE been given a hard time about THAT! But never about NOT drinking! That's crazy....

I was hoping for a picture of your outdoor nativity today.

Oh dear me! WHO is that baby??? I somehow think we're going to find out....

5:49 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

Always remember that a person who would chide you about drinking is the one with the problem.

You were fortunate to be able to look up somebody's phone number. So many people have unlisted numbers, new numbers, or cell phones, so they are not listed. I've found it hard to track phone numbers.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Lou said...

You know my thoughts on drinking! My opinion is, the drinkers should be giving US the explanation of why they need alcohol..LOL

7:49 AM  
Blogger Cherie said...

I was the one providing the explanation as to why my glass didn't have any alcohol in it. It doesn't help when they serve the non-alcoholic beverage in a dull old worn plastic container when everyone else has various types of pretty sparkling glass. Oy! And I'm tell you those kids in Pigeon Falls have got me nervous. ;)

8:10 AM  
Blogger aims said...

Eeek in Pigeon Falls.

As for the drinking. Pffft. Gingerale Dr. John. People don't know the difference - or your favourite - coke. They do it in the movies all the time. If you have to fake it - then fake it. If they can't understand - then there's something wrong with them.

I hardly ever ever drink. Once a year - maybe. Or every leap year. I don't care. I'm happy with tea and coffee. Who needs to drink?

8:39 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Glad that your Monk series ended on a happy note. I like a Beer from time to time, and would never judge someone because they do or don't drink. Shopping Online, I don't do. I buy Gift Certificates and put them in a Card for Christmas. At least you are still able to get out and about with your Scooter.

Stay Warm, we are in the Midst of a Cold Spell with snow.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

You don't need to apologise to anyone for not drinking Dr. John - it's entirely your choice. :)

I'm pleased for you that your favourite detective wasn't killed off after all. :)

10:03 AM  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

Beer has always smelled and looked to me like it has already been through a horse.

border -> boarder

Dr. John! My heart simply cannot take your cliffhangers....

10:14 AM  
Blogger A Lady's Life said...

You know, people do not need to drink at all. but if you need something to be naughty with, I say a couple of drinks is ok as long as you stay home and sleep it off
Its better than drugs and even smoking.

And nothing is wrong in believing in God.No matter what people say about him, he does exist and affects every one in his own way and his own time.One day people will see.
He is the light and without light, nothing tender would exist in darkness.

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear about the USA Network. No need to apologize for not drinking. It's a choice people make in their lives and sometimes I partake. And it is certainly rude of people to keep asking what's a matter with you if you don't. Down right rude. Thanks for sharing the treadmill...something new I learned today :)

Eugene sure is being different. And I'm anxious to find out about the baby...interesting words

12:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was very happy with the Monk finale too but am still sad to see it off the air. Seriously was one of my favorite shows ever!

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Alice Audrey said...

Uh oh. Scary kid.

I like the new and improved Eugene.

And good for USA Network for coming up with a happy ending.

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was beautiful quote said by Charles Dickens.
I wish we all shakehands And walk together with a smile forever for always.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Gattina said...

Can't comment on US networks. I know Monk, he speaks perfectly french here.
I don't drink either and sometimes it's very hard to explain to people that I don't drink even wine or beer, because this is considered as no alcohol. (Why get they boozed then ?) Everybody drinks wine at table at least the once I know. I don't drink anymore because I overdid it in the past and I am far more happier without drinks.

11:10 PM  
Blogger anthonynorth said...

An excellent mix of thoughts there. I understand what you mean about not drinking. I drink - beer only - but my wife does not. And she forever finds herself in such situations. It gets irritating.

12:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home