Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Ungodly Child

Today's Saying

I brought children into this dark world because it needed the light that only a child can bring. ~Liz Armbruster

I just finished reading Rachel Green’s book “An Ungodly Child” and I want to say something about it.
First if you’re a Christian fundamentalist prone to read all books literally then you could easily see this as an attack on the Bible, Christianity, and morals. It could be interpreted that way. So if you see the book on your desk I advise you take a set of tongs and carry it at arms length to the nearest trash burner. I guarantee you will hate it.
But if you’re the type of person that allows creative authors to create a world of their own that may seem a bit like our world but is really one they create. If your willing to see that people often write with no axe to grind and without a desire to attack anything. If you can see they are just wanting to create a different and odd world then this is a great book.
The author creates a world using bible data, bible related myths, and fantasy creatures like vampires and fairies. In this world those we know to be bad are almost good and those we know to be good are not so good.
The main character is the most moral, kind, gentle character I have ever read about but given what he is he shouldn’t be.
The author weaves a humorous story with wonderful creative lines.
I would recommend the book to anyone whose mind is open enough to read it.
In addition it comes recommended by my friend Aims.
PS . I paid for my copy and was not paid for this review.

The word has spread through Pigeon Falls that Eugene is back. Not only is he back but he looks far better than when they left him with the old lady/witch in the past.
Mrs. Trumble told Tommy UK that she doesn’t think they have the full story of Eugene yet. He’s holding something back but she doesn’t know what or worry. But she is very sure he is.
Tommy UK told Mrs. Trumble that it would be hard to figure how a person should act after having gone through what Eugene went through . He may not be holding anything back at all just reacting to all that has happened.
Tonight the choirs of the Methodist, Catholic, and Lutheran churches will meet at Last Lutheran to begin working on the community Christmas Cantata. This year it will be at Last Lutheran sao it will be directed by the Catholic choir director. The accompanist will be from the Methodist Church as they have the best organist in Pigeon Falls. The location rotates between the Catholic and Lutheran Church. If a Church hosts the cantata itself then the choir director from the other church directs. The system has served them well.
Tomorrow the Holiday decorations will go up in town. They will also put up the manger scene in the town square. Remember the town square and the manager scene don’t belong to the town. This keeps the American Civil Liberties Union off the back of the town officials.

17 Comments:

Blogger Sandi McBride said...

Another book for my Christmas list...I love books for Christmas as my family well knows...since I find you an uncommonly honest man with your book reviews, I know already that I will love it...now I must go do some backtracking and catch up with Basement World...
warm regards!
Sandi

6:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It sounds like an interesting book, I will have to read it(with a grain of salt anyway).

I can handle this type of book if it is presented as fiction, otherwise I have issues with the heresy!

Thanks for sharing. God bless Dr. John!

6:43 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

I probably ought NOT to read that book. My mind doesn't grasp that whole "other worldly" type stuff!

I don't think it would be abnormal for Eugene to be holding back a little. He probably learned a lot of things living in the past that WE in the future may not NEED to know. There might be some closets in Pigeon Falls with skeletons they never knew they had! And... he may know just who it is who's playing that piano - and who's shoes are dancing!

6:53 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

And TWELVE minutes!!! Whooo hooo! I gotta get on my BIKE and catch up to you!

6:54 AM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

Nice review Dr. John. :)

8:21 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

I am still reading a book recommended by a blogger. I probably won't get to this one.

I am proud of Pigeon Falls decorating. Our towns around here do also, we are too far remote for the ACLU to care.

Thirteen years in a bad marriage will give a person things neither of them wish to talk about either. After the shouting is over, that is. [My second is going on thirty-eight.]
..

8:32 AM  
Blogger aims said...

A lovely review Dr. John.

I did wonder what view you would take on it - but I do agree totally. The main character shouldn't be who he is and it's wonderful! Rachel is a terrific storyteller.

I'm still enjoying her blogs 'Diary of a Demon' and 'Laverstone Tales' - just in case you haven't had enough of Harold and Jasfoup!

10:28 AM  
Blogger aims said...

btw - Dr. John.

I left a comment over on mine for you. In answer to your last question.

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Alice Audrey said...

Sounds like an intriguing book.

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least the ACLU is taken care of. I hope we learn more about Eugene. I agree we don't know the whole story. Good book review

11:36 AM  
Blogger DawnTreader said...

You make it sound interesting. I haven't heard of it (or the author) before. - I'm struggling with part 3 of Pullman's Dark Materia story at the moment. I had big difficulties with parts 1-2. Then I saw the first film and liked that much better than the book. Now I again find I don't like book 3 (as far as I've got). It's confusing! I'll try to get through to the end though before I pass final judgement ;)

12:16 PM  
Blogger Dulçe ♥ said...

Hello my dear knight. I almost missed your post today. Sorry for coming by so late. My time to go to bed and say good night.... and what a bright reviewer you are!

3:58 PM  
Blogger Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Thanks for the review Dr.J. I'll put this on my to read list.
I like the saying of the day too!
<><

4:01 PM  
Anonymous quilly said...

I'm with Melli on the Eugene thing.

You know, I quit reading in the middle of the Left Behind series -- not because I was taking the stories literally, but because someone else reading the books at the same time was. Having conversations with her about the books seriously tried my patience, so I just stopped.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Rachel Green said...

What a splendid review you gave my book, Doctor John. I'm honoured you enjoyed it and saw fit to say so. Thank you.

12:18 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

This book sounds really interesting.

Name That Christmas Song

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The book sounds interesting -- I might read it.
I'm reading the Chronicles of Narnia series aloud with my 10yo each night. We are now halfway through "Voyage of the Dawn Treader." I am amazed by the clear allegories of Christian belief, but he is not catching any of them. I think it must come with maturity. I read this series aloud with my older children when they were in elementary school and caught some of the similarities then, but it wasn't as hard-hitting as it is to me now.
Perhaps I am becoming "seasoned"?

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home