Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Out with the Dragons

Today's Saying
Rugby is a beastly game played by gentlemen. Soccer is a gentleman's game played by beasts. Football is a beastly game played by beasts. ~Henry Blaha, 1972



I’m giving some serious thought to throwing the dragons off of my computer. Let them use Betty’s or Pennie’s or even Peter’s or Pat’s. Just get them off of mine.
They started out small, a couple of days a week. That was annoying but okay. Then they found more things they wanted to do. Who knew , for example , that there were dragon idioms. But there are. They do fairy tales, and Quilly words. There they tend to show off.
They also get excited and leave scorch marks on my computer.
They keep pushing me to get people to read them. I have enough trouble getting people to read me.
But I can live with all of that if it were not for their latest insulting action.
You can see it HERE.
They accepted an internet award.
You know what I think of internet awards. If you printed them out they wouldn’t be worth the paper you printed them on. Everybody and her sister has the same awards.
They come with rules forcing you to add to the clutter if you do accept them.
But the dragons treat this award like it was gold. They seem to think it makes them special.
Further they obeyed all the rules.
They even added five more blogs to the clutter.
I think they did it just to upset me.
If they do it again out they go.



Yesterday Mrs. Pemberthy put on her hiking shoes and despite her sons telling her she was too old for this sort of thing she went looking for the old lady of the mountain. One way or another those durn gremlins had to go.
After an hour of walking along the usual hiking trail she saw what looked like a trail that hadn’t been used for a long time. She decided to follow that trail. After another hour she came to a little cabin in the woods. She knocked on the door and was met by a very old woman who invited her in for Tea. They chatted about the olden days and how much better things were. Then Mrs. Pemberthy said she had a problem with Gremlins. The old lady said I can cure your problem but there is a charge. To remove them from your property and keep them from ever coming back which is a very short spell the cost is $10. But to send them far far away which is a very difficult spell the cost is $100.
Mrs. Pemberthy thought about it for a short time then gave the lady $10. The woman got a few herbs from a cupboard, lit them on fire, and said a few words in a language Mrs. Pemberthy didn’t understand.
“You can fill in the hole now. They are gone , forever.” the old lady said.


I got to the computer room at 4:45 this morning. I checked in and put my name in the Portrait of Words Linksy. At 5:00 Pennie brought me a can of soda . She was leaving for Madison for a workshop . I started thinking about tomorrow's idiom pictures and made a list which I printed out for Betty and I to work from. After lunch we did some pictures for tomorrow. They were not great ( they never are as the model is too old).My sister Dawn called worried about my getting the flue.But I haven't. If you didn't read my Portrait of Words today you should it is worth the read. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone and I'm not naming any names here seems to be a bit cranky. And Ooops they got another award today YIKES. Hmmm $10.00 and she got rid of them durn gremlins? Something smells fishy in Pigeon Falls :)

2:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Pesky dragons...I agree, you'd better keep a closer watch on them. God only knows what they'll try to pull next.

God bless Dr. John!

5:48 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Well... I would NOT have expected Old Mrs. Pemberthy to cough up $100 to have the gremlins sent far far FAR away... honestly! She's on limited income! I'm betting when those gremlins get around to Chief Ican's house, HE will get rid of them for GOOD! But in the meantime... I WONDER where they'll end up NEXT!?

You better watch what you say about those dragons... they might TORCH your computer entirely!

8:16 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Well Dr. John look at it this way. If you are receiving an, that means someone is reading your blog!
Love Di

10:12 AM  
Blogger Maude Lynn said...

Naughty, naughty dragons!

12:15 PM  
Blogger Alastair said...

Them dragons can be ornery... not that I have any idea what that means, just that I saw it used as a description for someone and it somehow seemed to fit...

Anyway, enough semantics - congrats to the naughty dragons and to their guide and keeper (can you keep dragons???). Always good to read about what's going on with you Dr John!

12:21 PM  
Blogger Dulçe ♥ said...

Late I've come here today... Well, as I see it, if those naughty dragons had never got an award before, they must (and are in their right to) be happy and joyful and behave as dragons do.
The first time I got an award myself I got crazily happy, because that was to me worth 50 cool comments at the time. Now I get them and appreciate them all the same, but I do not get so happily crazy.
I've blogging for just four months you know?
I understand YOu have received lots of awards and are fed up with those passing conditions.
I am really glad you accepted my award, especially because I gave it to you because I wanted to, I "created " it myself for people who are special to me for one or other reason. I didn't expect anything back. Now some have congratulated me (!!!) for it and people are giving it away to others.
Such's life my dear Knight.

12:42 PM  
Anonymous quilly said...

Dr. John, I have a new, pedestal monitor and there is no room for dragons a top it. You may want to give that some thought.

I'm willing to bet that Mrs. Pemberthy just paid $10.00 to make the problem worse and when she goes back to have it corrected, it will cost one heck of a lot more than $100.00.

Witches, like elves, fairies and all creatures magical, need to be dealt with very carefully -- or not at all!

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Alice Audrey said...

I got a feeling there is a catch to this spell business. I wonder how much money the old lady will make if everyone in Pigeon Falls goes to her with $10.

3:56 PM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

You will miss your Dragons if they were to leave.

Oh and I think Thom's Honesty Award will need to be "Revoked", he as much as admitted to Cheating on my latest James Bond Quiz.

Just wondering your Thoughts on this. Can an Award be Revoked if it can be proved the Awardee admits to doing the opposite to what the Award is meant for??

5:18 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Portrait of Words, dragons, Pigeon Falls... you are very productive!

6:37 PM  
Blogger Garnetrose said...

My school mascot was a dragon and my husbands school mascot are those pesky little gremlins. Let me tell you, they are worse than dragons any day. LOL So watch out for both but the gremilins are the sneakier of the two.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well someone did say that success breeds contempt. Maybe the dragons are jealous?

9:37 PM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Don't be mad at the dragons. They might bite you.

4:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home