Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Random Rants?

Today's Saying

Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you mad. ~Aldous Huxley

Today I offer you a few random thoughts or rants or random something.

I have never listened to Glen Beck on Fox News but I’m beginning to think I should, at least once.
Anyone that my liberal friends hate and despise that much must be saying something interesting.
In recent days they have gone out of their way to dehumanize and demonize him. He is being portrayed as a liar and a hypocrite. They even think he’s as bad as Rush.
Now one of the things I’ve discovered in life is that if people simply tell lies they are pretty much ignored.
But if they also say things that are true and we don’t want to hear we go on the attack. We never attack what they say but them.
By that measure Glen must be saying some really irritating true things.
The problem is he doesn’t come in on the time slots that I watch TV.
But I will have to find some way to listen to him.
Perhaps, I can get Pennie to record him for me. Then I can watch him instead of my soap.

Random whatever number two.
Sometimes truth can be used to tell a lie. Isn’t that a horrible thought.
Recently my conservative friends have taken to comparing what Obama said as a candidate with what he is saying and doing as President. Since the two things are in sharp disagreement they say this proves he is a liar and a hypocrite. Pretty much what my liberal friends are saying about Glen Beck.
They are using truth to push a lie. Yes it is true Obama said both things.
Yes they are contradictory.
But what it proves is not that he is a liar or a hypocrite but that the job of President is much harder once you have it than when your looking at it from the outside.
He is learning on the job and a good President has to do that.

For example:
He said he would end all the pork barrel additions to budget bills but then he discovered if he wanted to get legislation passed he had no choice. Democrats and Republicans have lobbyists that fund their elections and they need those additions to keep the lobbyists happy.
So the political reality is either take the bills this way or get no legislation passed.
You don’t fight that fight when your just starting out and are in the middle of a severe economic downturn.
He did what he had to do.
That makes him neither hypocrite or liar but just a smart President.

I think that is enough for the time being. Two many random thoughts are not good for the digestion.




Old Mrs. Pemberthy says there are two gremlins in the hole in her back yard. Her son says that when he gets some time he will go over and fill in the hole and that should take care of that.
Pastor Joan and her husband have narrowed their list of possible names to ten.
They are :
Alfie,
James,
Tommy,
Jacob,
Matthew,
Alexander,
Kevin,
Cody,
Jared,
Zachary

Alfie was the name of one of Pastor Joan’s grandfathers.
James was the name of the other grandfather.
Tommy after Tommy UK the local hero.
Jacob the name of Pastor Joan’s husband’s father and he reminds her a good Biblical name.
Matthew , the first name of Pastor Joan’s husband.
The other five are from the top 100 baby names for the 2000’s list.



.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm constipated by DC politics. All Presidents have to learn on the job I think. It's a thankless job :)

I vote for Jacob!!!! I hope filling in the holes does the trick but I SO doubt it. :)

1:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do know you have something on my blog waiting for you HERE.

2:52 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Dr. John,
My husband said that Glen Beck is on at one or two in the morning, central time. He also said that you need to take Glen Beck with a grain of salt. He is a commentator not a politician.
I've never watched him. I like Bill O'Reilly. Love Di

4:47 AM  
Blogger Jeni said...

Just brace yourself if/when you get to watch Glen Beck. He does sometimes utter things that will truly make your head spin and then turn around and say something that actually, sort of, makes sense, in a bit of a weird way. I dunno that you want to give up watching your soaps for him, although -come to think of it -he could maybe be classified as a "soap opera" all by himself. But yes, most definitely take him with a grain of salt. (Also you may want to think of ways to get him to take a lie detector test too.)

5:21 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

I never even heard of Glen Beck... I LOVE not watching television! :)

I wish that the entire world had your vision of what the job of president entails! But you know... it seems that republicans understand it when a republican is in office - and of course, the same holds true for democrats. They just can't seem to see past their own noses when the OTHER side is in office!

No Victor, huh? Hmmmm... I'm a big fan of J names... I'm sure Pastor and Matthew don't need ME to help them though! They'll work it out by Sunday!

7:24 AM  
Blogger Gattina said...

Of course I don't know that guy, I only know that we are all quite happy about Obama and now that he won the Nobel peace price, it's even better. There will always be stupid, narrow minded and all better knowing people !

8:09 AM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

Sorry I have no idea who you're talking about Dr. John but you always make sense. :)

11:12 AM  
Blogger Dulçe ♥ said...

I really learnt how to drive not when I was having my driving lessons and got the lisence but, later, once on the road...

12:28 PM  
Anonymous quilly said...

I think all the politicians should stop yelling at each other and DO something besides point fingers and whine. I try not to watch them.

I think Pastor Joan and her husband need to concentrate on the fist 5 names on the list and forget about the "popular" names. Pick a name with some personal meaning and value, not one the media says is trendy. The kid will have to live with it after the trend passes.

3:19 PM  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:21 PM  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

Glenn Beck has written several books. Maybe you could just read some of them.

What you said about President Obama and pork-barrel spending would indicated that he was incredibly naive or idealistic, or both, when he ran for President. But that obviously is not true because he was a product of the Chicago political machine, where the innocent tend to get trampled in the stampede. He survived, and used it to his own advantage.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nobody agrees on everything. You are correct about each state's elected officials all have agenda's which they add to every bill to benefit their state. Politics is dirty business.

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Alice Audrey said...

Seems to me there are already more than enough Tommys in Pigeon Falls.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Melissa B. said...

I think the repubs are jealous...this prez has a brain! I've never watched/listened to Glenn Beck, either. Too busy hating Rush Limbaugh...

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, 2 of those names are my kids' names, and one is a runner-up name that we ALMOST chose... so I think it's a good list!

In politics, even if a candidate says what he or she truly believes during the election race, reality has a way of making those opinions and commitments nearly insurmountable. (And this doesn't begin to cover those statements made just to make others happy)

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But more important than politics... I get to eat lunch with Melli tomorrow!! :)

8:53 PM  
Blogger aims said...

I think your president is struggling against more forces than he ever imagined before he was sworn in.

Up here we still have that spark of hope burning in our chests that he gave the rest of the world. We believe he will make a change. The number of people who refuse to accept change in your country is amazing though.

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home