Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Both of Us and a Gypsy

Today's Link
Frozen Moments

Today's Saying
Spring is when you feel like whistling even with a shoe full of slush. ~Doug Larson

Today's Picture
A Sign of Spring at Last

A Picture Story from Jeff's Portrait of Words

Betty and I wrote this together. I wrote a line and then she wrote a line. The rules prevented us from telling each other what story we had in mind. To be honest with you we were lucky we got the poor girl to the dentist but we are still talking.

Sandra had to go to the dentist whether she liked it or not but she really hoped the penguin wouldn't come as well. It could cause her to get teeth worked on that were in perfect shape by influencing the Doctor. The very thought filled her with as much fear as the bus ride downtown.

Nevertheless she got on the 012 bus and then she found that a young man on the bus disturbed her. He had the look of a tough teen and wore a silly hat and , of all things, a necklace. The seats were occupied and the only available one was next to that strange young man, so she sat with her arms folded keeping herself as far away from him as possible. But she couldn't help looking at him and suddenly on the back of his seat was her penguin and a miniature lama. Her expression of shock made the young man look at her with a question on his face, and then to turn around to see what she was looking at.
" You can see my lama", he said.
"Yes, but are you able to see my penguin?" she asked.
"Of course" he said."They seem to be getting along"
His strangeness now was disappearing with the shared experience of seeing things, and she felt she could talk to him. She was wondering if he was cursed by a gypsy or perhaps, he was a gypsy.
"I am wondering if you find the lama a help or hinderance in your occupation , which is?" she asked.
" Lady you sure are nosy. I didn't ask you about your penguin. did I?"
With that retort she sat silently waiting for her stop.
At the stop which was in front of Bristol Bob's Beautiful Bowlatorium he followed her out of the bus. Sandy paused catching her breath, before she had to climb the steps to her dentist office above the bowling alley. " Are you following me" she said to the young man.
"No I am following the llama and a penguin. Your penguin has a bucket of rusty screws and I'm afraid he will dump them somewhere he shouldn't. Your not paying any attention to him."
"What makes you think I have any control over the penguin?"
He looked at her with a strange smile and said " I thought you were a gypsy but your one of the cursed aren't you."
"I am one of the cursed, but are you a gypsy?"
"Of course! But I thought you knew that because you could see the lama", he said.
" I need to get to my dentist, but I would like to talk to you more about llamas and penguins," she said as she began the climb to the dreaded dentist.
She looked back only long enough to see the penguin dumping the screws on his head while the lama tried to push it aside. Then she sprinted up the stairs.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal
It looks like things are really back to normal.
Last night there was a heavy frost and most of the flowers that bloomed last week just withered away. Tonight it is supposed to snow and snow heavy.
Last night only two of the three dragons flew over and they did no fancy stunts.
The DNR man caught two of the Mattson boys dragging a recently shot deer out of the woods and they now have a court date.
There was a fight over at the museum between two of the ghost groupies. There were six that came in the party and they only had five tickets for the concert. Four went in and left the other two to fight over the remaining ticket and fight they did. Mrs. Moilanen who was in charge that morning finally hit them with a broom and swept them both out. You don’t tangle with Mrs. Moilanen.
One of the tourists got pushy over at Nancy’s and soon found himself sitting on the roof of the Masonic building. The poltergeist had struck again.
Tammy and Tommy UK despite all the promises made last week got into an argument over the best way to find out about the man in black and they are no longer talking to each other.
People are unhappy that they have to pay property taxes to the town after Mrs. Trumble gave the town all that money.
Yep! Life is back to normal.

Wrap UP
Better breathing day. The snow is melting. Yes it is melting. I visited all the blogs that left a comment yesterday and left comments on any entry I hadn't already commented on. Then I visited blogs to be used as a " Today's Link". Found a charge on the credit statement from some club I didn't know I joined. I called and canceled that. We met with the roofer who told us prices are up about 10% over last years estimate. Betty and I went to Church. The fellowship and the service were very good. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
***********************************************************

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and Betty both make the very best stories when you write together. I think there's a lesson in there somewhere -- maybe even a whole sermon.

I'm kind of glad things are back to normal in Pigeon Falls. Too much good stuff might actually get boring.

1:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Loved the freaky story, but I fear for your brain chemistry.

Are you and Betty getting enough Vitamin K in your diets?

It's early, but I think I'll check outside for stray llamas and penguins. Or, just possibly -- young men.

3:52 AM  
Blogger Jientje said...

That's a very inventive story, and I LOVE how you wrote it together!
I'm very curious to read tomorrow's Quivel!

4:10 AM  
Blogger Gary's third pottery blog said...

Dr John--that is the sweetest picture on earth! A little green sprout coming out of the brown dirt...

5:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story Dr. John. I thoroughly enjoyed it. And for you and Betty to write it together...true love! I sorta like thinks askew in Pigeon Falls...seems as if there is a lot of fighting and trouble when things are normal.

5:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bristol Bob's Beautiful Bowlatorium = awesome alliteration!

That is quite the story. :)

6:21 AM  
Blogger Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

ahhh! Signs of spring! Finally!

8:18 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

ROFL!!! You are right! You DID get her to the dentist! I can just seeee the wheels turning - and then grinding to a screeching HALT! LOL! I found the same thing when Krysti and I tried it! It does make for a fun read though! We'll have to do a 3some in April! LOL!

Oh those Mattson boys... they are always pushing the limits! Well... okay... crossing the lines! Shoot! Property taxes are gonna have to go UP to help pay the income tax on all that money the Mayor GAVE the town! Or Gift Tax ... or whatever that tax is ya gotta pay on money that falls in your lap! I'm glad life is BTN in Pigeon Falls...

Have you by chance seen the TROUBLE that your little Ella has gotten herself into lately? I hope you have it in you to straighten her out! *whew*

8:31 AM  
Blogger Cherie said...

The story that you wrote with Betty was really fun! I never know where a story is going when I write it, but this takes it to a whole new level. But still, it works! And you used all the prompts. Amazing. :)

P.S. My word verification is a real word, "crown." I think this means that it's my lucky day. Must go buy some lottery ticket. LOL

9:24 AM  
Blogger aims said...

Another laugh again this morning Dr. John. Thank Betty for me too!

Money never makes anyone truly happy.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Pat - Arkansas said...

Oh, Poor Pigeon Falls! Just when things were going so well! Goes to prove that nothing (good or bad) lasts forever.

Your and Betty's story was interesting, to say the least. It's a wonder that, with writing every other sentence, it made sense at all... but it does. :)

11:19 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

love the quote and i'm glad you're finally getting some signs of spring.

you and betty write most impressive stories.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Bravo Dr John ~ You and Betty's story is wonderful. As they say "Great Minds Think Alike".

A Blessed Day is wished for both of you.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

You and Betty make a great writing team Dr. John! :)

1:41 PM  
Blogger Gattina said...

There must be signs of spring. For the first time since 30 years I did something in our garden !

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You write strangely, but intriguingly! Thanks for the laugh!

2:13 AM  
Blogger Roan said...

Loved the collaboration. We're just starting to see the first sign of flowers peeking out of the dirt. I don't want any more snow.

4:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home