Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Agent 012 -Assignment Terror

Today's Link
Inner Feelings

Today's Saying
The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. ~Dorothy Parker

Today's Picture
My Sister Dawn. Myself, and cousin Raymond
A Picture Story from Jeff's Portrait of Words



Agent 012 put down the bucket of rusty screws that he was trying to clean an answered his cell phone.

It was the BOSS. He feared the BOSS more than the chief. She reminded him of his assignment for the day. It was an assignment that Agent 012 was trying desperately to forget. He would rather face the demon again than this. He had faced the young man before under her orders. He still remembered the pain. He knew that time he was lucky to get out alive. This time he might not do so well. But when the BOSS gave an order you obeyed.,
He was given detailed instructions.
Get on the number 12 bus.
Get off at Jefferson.
Walk until you see the big bowling pin.
Enter the second door on the right.
Go up the stairs.
Enter the third door on the left down the hall.
No way he could get lost.
So he went.
As he sat on the bus he wondered how such a young man had learned to give out so much pain. Was there a pain school?
This time, he thought, I’ll shoot him before he has a chance to get to me. He checked his buckle gun. That gave him some sense of security.
The bus stopped at Jefferson.
He got off. He didn’t want to but he did.
He could see that evil bowling pin. He knew the horror it represented.
He reached the door.
The steps were dimly lit.
He counted each one as he went up.
He was on the alert ready for any ambush.
He reached the door.
The receptionist greeted him as he came in. “ Have a seat . The dentist will see you in a minute”.
The things his wife makes him do.


News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal
Yesterday was St. Urho’s day and Pigeon Falls celebrated all day. Everywhere you looked there were purple hangings of one sort or another. It was an official town holiday so there was no school.St. Urho was the priest who, according to Finnish legend killed the last dragon. He is celebrated in Pigeon Falls as St. Urho , Dragon Slayer. Of course in other places the revisionists have changed the story to make it look like the story of St. Patrick. All they want to do is drink purple beer one day and green the next. That’s not to say that no purple beer was consumed in Pigeon Falls yesterday but at least they celebrated the real mythical figure. None of this grasshopper nonsense. Mayor Trumble read the epic poem “ St. Urho -Dragonslayer” . She read it with fire. The poem was translated from the original old Finnish manuscripts found in a Finnish farmers back yard written on goatskin. Mrs. Trumble really likes the part where the dragon dies. She read that twice. There was even a little parade with somebody dressed in flowing purple robes waving and throwing candy. That part was played by good old Eino. The only sad thing was that our local dragons didn’t make an appearance. Eino carried a big stick just in case.
After the parade Last Lutheran had an Urho’s day party for the children with grape juice and grape Kool-Aid and a big cake with purple frosting.
The Methodist ladies made and .sold a lot of purple pasties.
Then there was the big St. Urho’s Day dance. The “ Four Poles and a Swede” provided the music. They said they didn’t mind playing for a dance in honor of a Finnish Saint as long as there was plenty of beer even if the beer was purple. There was one odd thing . A beer keg blew open and the beer rose like a fountain and people swear it formed a dragon in the air, a purple beer dragon. But then the beer just fell to the ground. Eino says the people that saw a dragon had been drinking too much purple beer. But Nellie Milonen who is eighty years old and hasn’t had a drink of alcohol in her entire life says she saw it. She thought it was pretty clever what they can do with beer these days. Nancy says her poltergeist must have left the shop and come to the parade. She didn’t know it was so artistic.

Wrap UP
The dragons want me to inform you they have a story as well. It can be seen here.It was a hard breathing day. Started by visiting all the picture story blogs. Betty and I spent a lot of time writing the story for tomorrow. Then she took the dog for a walk.My sister Dawn called. Betty and I discussed some possible cross over plots from her characters Mark and Sandra to Pigeon Falls.Then I visited every blog that left a comment yesterday. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
*************************************

26 Comments:

Blogger Nessa said...

Oh, you are just so silly. Loved the 012 story.

3:36 AM  
Blogger Gary's third pottery blog said...

not grape kool aid!

4:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, Grape Kook Aid!

I liked both little stories - came here for POW, and got a bonus!

4:53 AM  
Blogger Pat - Arkansas said...

Another clever Agent 012 story, Dr. John! Loved it!

5:15 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Did cousin Raymond fall in the well? I have never heard about him.
Just wondering...

5:15 AM  
Blogger Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I think my cat feels that way about going to the Vet. I haven't had the guts to tell her that is our for assignment tomorrow.

Everyone in Pigeon Falls is going to have purple poop tomorrow (which may or may not be better than going to the Vet)!

5:54 AM  
Blogger Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Agent 012~you gotta love him!

6:42 AM  
Blogger Finding Pam said...

What a funny story. I hate the dentist as well.

I love Fandango's blog! I am not able to comment? So I just wanted to say that a dragon's got to do what a dragon's got to do.

6:55 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

LOVED 012 today! Poor thing! I can sO relate to his angst.

I can NOT believe that Pigeon Falls - HOME to probably the LAST remaining dragons on the continent - would actually celebrate St. Urho the Dragon Slayer Day! I can see if they did a token celebration to the grasshopper chaser ... but it doesn't surprise me even a smidgeon that the dragons weren't out and about yesterday! I will have to run over and SEE what THEY have to say about all this! How INSULTING to them! Purple beer is fun, and I could suuuuuuure use some purple cake... but CELEBRATING the slaying of dragons... tsk tsk tsk...

7:12 AM  
Blogger Cherie said...

How does the BOSS get so much power? If I understood that, my life would be complete. To send her agent to such a frightening place.

And yes, I was wondering how the local dragons in Pigeon Falls felt about St. Urho Day. Did it hurt their feelings? Or were they chuckling at the silly townspeople. Last dragon, huh. lol OR... since I learned in the dragon's story on their new blog that they can be invisible, did they mix and mingle with the town for the party and perhaps THEY caused the beer in the keg to come out in that dragon shape. How cool would that be?

8:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a feeling the boss was his wife in the first sentence the boss was mentioned, but then decided no, the main character was a mobster. When he got to the dentist, I really laughed. What a great twist! Loved it.

Great photo and the curiosity saying with a well wall full of children could not have been more perfect.

The town~I grew up in a community that had many Finnish immigrants. I always knew they were a fun bunch of folks. Who knew they had all shared a purple beer perhaps?

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No wonder I'm not married LOL Happy St. Patrick's Day !!

9:28 AM  
Blogger Anna Russell said...

Ahh, good old Dorothy Parker. She always cheers me up.
Loved Agent 012!

9:38 AM  
Blogger aims said...

You put a smile on my face today Dr. John - and that's saying something.

9:55 AM  
Blogger aims said...

btw - my today's link was empty

9:55 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

ah, the horrors of a visit to the dentist!

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's my fave 012 story to date!

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Walk until you see the big bowling pin? Really?
I love the picture, as long as no one leans back & falls in!
~Mary

11:56 AM  
Blogger Thom - - Dr. John said...

Great story and nice additional photo at the end too.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Agent 012 and The Boss, this was Good.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

LOL great 012 story Dr. John! :)

1:59 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

WHAT??? You never got to "gargle with salt water"... and really that should have been first! Well... okay... maybe 2nd - after the honey in the tea. But certainly before the Vicks!

3:08 PM  
Blogger Maggie May said...

Afraid of the dentist?
Hilarious.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

What a great photo of your family! I hope you are well Dr John!!

5:57 PM  
Blogger bettygram said...

I have had some nice dentist of late but still feel afraid, so Agent012 you are not alone.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Gattina said...

You and your dragons ! Now each time I see one (before I never saw any) I think of your Dragon group ! Melli first !
I loved the fact to be able to go shopping at night ! I did it in Madison together with my aunt. Over here only in London some shopping malls were open 24 h.

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home