Thursday, December 18, 2008

Global Warming Please

Today's Link
Jamie Dawn's Mindless Blather

Saying for the Day
Human beings are perhaps never more frightening than when they are convinced beyond doubt that they are right. ~Laurens van der Post

Picture for the Day


I really don’t want to be seen as politically incorrect or a global warming heretic. In fact for a long time I used to get up every morning and bow toward Washington three times and say Global Warming, Global Warming, Global Warming. Then I would face Detroit and say green house gases, green houses gases, green houses gases. This was always followed by a reading from the great prophet All Gore.
But I can no longer do that.
I am just too cold. My poor frozen body won’t bend and it is hard to get the words out.
Even worse the wind keeps blowing our huge amount of snow around so I can’t tell in which direction Washington is , yet alone Detroit.
In this one of the coldest winters on record in my part of Wisconsin global warming seems so far away.
I suppose this is caused by those dang conservatives who don’t believe the Prophet Gore. They all are leaving their refrigerator doors open to push the temperature down. I have even heard and I wouldn’t put it past them they sent a group to Canada with big fans to blow the cold air down here. They do things like that you know.
Still I am cold. I am very cold.
There is snow lots of snow.
Maybe global warming wouldn’t be so bad.
So we lose a little coast line.
At least I would be warm.
I wonder if I can find a nice mechanic who will really dirty up my exhaust.
We need more green houses gases before I freeze to death.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal
Tommy UK and Tammy are now desperately looking for Herman. They are convinced that he is the key to stopping the shadow. It seem likely if they don’t find him by Monday the shadow will be coming in to Pigeon Fall proper. By Monday afternoon Last Lutheran will be gone and the hardware store. But they have no idea where to look.
He has not been in to the Happy Pigeon for over a week. The bartender at the Fly Inn hasn’t seen him. Nancy says that nobody has seen him. He may very well have left town.
Herman’s wife , however, says she thinks he has been at the house while she was working. There was food missing from the refrigerator and the food cabinet. He seems to have helped himself.
This gives Tammy and Tommy UK hope he is still around somewhere in town.
Homeland Security is still trying to get Washington to drop an Atomic bomb on the town. But still president George is steadfastly refusing. "If I do that" he is quoted as saying " American reporters will throw shoes at me and shoes hurt."
In the midst of all this a mysterious man in black has been seen walking along the edge of the shadow and according to Willie the man was whistling.
Wrap UP
It was coldtofday but my oxygen was up. I didn't need the tank at all today. After I blogged in the morning I decided to take some time away from the computer and began reading my newest book. You can see it listed on the side. Betty went to a Bible Study. I kept reading. My sister called to tell me I could get a good English Spaniel for just $70 but I told her Maggie was enough ( more than enough). I visited my first tier of links. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
***************************************************************

17 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Tommy UK and Tammy need to leave a note on the fridge explaining their theory for Herman --- plus leave a Haltver on the fireplace hearth.

I totally agree about more greenhouse gases. Time to turn all of the US into Florida. Pooey on Al Gore.

3:19 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Nothing scares me more than absolute certitude.

4:06 AM  
Blogger Russell said...

Heh! I concur!! Second that motion!! Nail on the head! Right on!! And more!!

I was thinking the same thought this morning as I was outside in the freezing weather feeding my pony and our few cats. It is just incredibily cold.

And, to add to the pleasure (!), Iowa is going to get an ice storm today followed by a snow storm tonight! Of course my snow blower has decided this is a good time to start acting up! Heh! Oh well...

I always enjoy your blog every day and find myself shaking my head in agreement as I read your words.

Take care and stay warm!

6:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well at least your cold is consistent. Here we never know what to expect in the weather. Go out in the morning with a coat, shed it in the afternoon. Shorts one day,sweaters the next. For example this week- by the week end the temperatures should hit close to 80, but by Monday the temps will fall to the high 20's with possible freezing precip...go figure.

7:04 AM  
Blogger Gattina said...

I also complain about the global cooling and miss the global warming ! but when I tell that people think I am stupid because I don't understand the tragedy of what will happen and that the end of the world is near, that soon the ocean will disappear and we will be able to drive by car to New York. I have to admit that after these long explanations I am asleep so I never understood why it is so cold !

8:14 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

the problem is not so much the global warming - although on the global scale the temperatures on the earth are rising - but the altogether messed-up climate. we have had nothing but rain for four weeks already, and that is something unheard of. besides, the temperatures should be around (or slightly below) freezing but it's about 5 degrees celsius warmer most of the time...

i'm sorry you are having such cold, though, and hope you defrost soon ;)

8:34 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Oh no way! The Man In Black is back? You know... with this shadow around... I've been a little worried about the DRAGONS! We haven't heard about them making an appearance in awhile... have they been seen? Herman is hiding out - they need to follow the bread crumbs... or chip crumbs... or flip tops... or something!

8:35 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

Sorry I've been away so long. So much to do that I kept running out of time and energy!

Being cold is no fun at all. Humanity can survive global warming much easier than cooling - hard to grow food under a foot of snow!

I do hope Tommy and Tammy find Herman soon.

My new dragons have just featured on a RED post on my blog. Thank you so much!!!

9:24 AM  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

Dr. John, I don't know whether you read your comments, but I would like to use this very funny post about global warming on my own blog. Would you give me permission to quote you (and give you credit, of course)?

Thanks in advance if you will, and never mind if you won't.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I am putting plastic on the windows today because it is so cold and our heating bill was horrendous.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

For the first time in ages the Fraser River here in Vancouver has frozen over, and it just keep snowing. There is snow on the palm trees.

Bring on global warming, I say! I'm ready for it.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Alastair said...

Hi Dr John!

It would be easy to say something sanctimonious on my part about climate change, but actually just wanted to say - thanks for the funny post, and I hope you warm up soon.

Of course you could always move to England, it's very mild here.... :-)

Oh and we'd love to have you too!

2:21 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Well Jesus was pretty human

changing water into wine? well who wouldn't if they could. Everybody likes to provide good wine at a party, and every host wants their guests to be merry. If all else fails resort to home-brew

Losing your temper with money lenders? Well everyone likes money for nothing, but who likes to pay interest (especially high interest)

But would Jesus be like Jim Morrison or any other pop idol or rock'n'roll star - in other words get laid as often as he could ...
well there is always the story of Jesus and the prostitute

But hell in biblical terms, I guess most if not all women in the 21st century are prostitutes

After all our mothers may come from a generation where our dad is the only man they've ever been to bed with ...
but I think that is more a rarety between women of your and mine generation

at least in the so called 'civilized' world or economically advanced first world. Not withstanding that rape and/or early widowhood is still very much commonhood in the troubled spots of the so called third world too.

But what would Jesus do?
Turning the other cheek
is and always been the hardest thing to do

Not following the desires of the flesh is and always has been the hardest thing to do

Aaaah Love - that thorny bush
the more intense the love, the more intense the hurt when it is lost. The more intense the pleasure the deeper the pain when the 'drug' is removed.

But inner stillness?
who can achieve that? Buddha?

Better to have loved and die, than never to have loved at all
Better to live and die, than never to have lived at all

And when there's nothing left to fight for, nothing left to die for
No belief or desire to sacrifice oneself for ...
then what is there left to live for

There is only one thing for sure - Death.
And anything we may imagine today we cannot live without, we can be sure one day we'll have to do without. Letting go can be so hard, yet even LOVE & LIFE or LOVE of LIFE we must one day let go of

3:39 PM  
Blogger Cherie said...

I'm sorry that the weather is so frigged in your neck of the woods. Back in my day, when I lived in Minneapolis, I remember the weather frequently being like this around Christmas-time. It almost makes me wish that I still lived in the north.

Keep bundled up, and snuggle in with your book. I'm getting ready to start on another Maguire book, myself.

So, glad that you had a good breathing day. :)

6:00 PM  
Blogger Sandi McBride said...

And it's in the 70's here in Carolina and I'm wanting my cold weather! I want to know what the Shadow knows, so hopefully he'll be spilling the beans soon. You keep up with that oxygen, now! And have a cup of Eggnog!
Sandi

6:42 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

I could do with some global warming up here in Canada. I live in the banana belt region and all this snow on the ground is getting me down. Plus the temperatures below zero. If some cold air was sent your way we still have plenty left, let me tell you.

11:14 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

I love the Christmas picture!!! And you are right Dr John...its darn cold!!!! brrrrrrrrrrrr.

1:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home