Friday, July 18, 2008

Long and Short

Saying for the day: Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there. ~Josh Billings

After the comments I received on Last Friday’s post where I suggested that if we could use coal in a way that did not contribute to green houses gases then we could produce electricity and cut our dependence on foreign oil. It seems clear to me we need to look at the two different kinds of problems in front of us.
WE have long term problems and short term problems.
Long term problems include:
1. The effects of global warming
2. Running out of fossil fuels
3. Having so many people we can’t feed them
4. Running out of fresh water
5. Possible war with atomic weapons being used

Short term problems include:
1. High gas prices
2. Increasing cost of food
3. War in Iraq
4. The start of a new depression
5. Dependence on foreign oil

The truth is that what helps to solve a short term problem may not help at all on a long term problem. Thus a number of you pointed out that coal is a fossil fuel and it will run out. In other words it will be of no help for our long term problems. You are right but it will help in the short term . We have more coal reserves than oil. Every bit of energy we generate that does not use oil helps to cut our dependency on foreign oil. It helps with a short term problem. In reality it can help with several short term problems.

We need to solve the short term problems so that we have the financial resources to work on the long term ones. An economy in chaos will not allow us the opportunity to create the solutions that we have to create.
The good news is that despite the government’s failure we as a nation are making progress on the short term goals. But the problems are huge and change takes time.

News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal . Poor Aili, since she told her story all kinds of people have stopped by her house to see the White Rabbit. Since this was just a story for the contest the White Rabbit isn’t there and she says with a laugh it never has been.
Poor Buddy East, president of the Liar’s Club is so upset. They only have three entries to the writer’s contest and the deadline is fast approaching. Last year there were eight entries.
Tommy UK and Tammy are not talking to each other. It makes meetings of the Tommy Club rather difficult. This is too bad because they have several projects running. They are trying to discover who the man in black is and to prove the White Rabbit is or is not a hoax. Tammy went out and talked to Aili Sorry after her story and is convinced it was just a story. Tommy UK, however, thinks she might be telling the truth. If the Lake of the Loons can have a whale that swims to Canada, he says, then a three foot White Rabbit is certainly possible. Tammy says the two things are just not related. But Tommy UK says that the man in black might also be responsible for the White Rabbit and the dragons.
The Petrovich Twins are doing well but they still haven’t named them. Petrovich looks tired and one would guess the twins haven’t allowed him much sleep.
The McGregor twins are also doing well.
Last Lutheran is having a baby shower for all four babies. At first it was just for the McGregor twins but Pastor Joan felt it would be nice to include the Petrovich’s even if they weren’t members.
*******

Today's Link-Middle Years
In the morning I brought the St. Mark's website up to date with this coming Sunday's bulletin. Then I started on reorganizing my link list. I worked on that most of the day. It still isn't done. I visited blogs and left comments. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
Flowers from the Crystal Falls Parsonage ( long ago now)


  • 10 Comments:

    Blogger Janets Planet said...

    The rest of the Tommy club need to tell Tommy UK and Tammy to just get over it!

    Working on a story.

    4:51 AM  
    Blogger Melli said...

    I like that Pastor Joan more and more all the time! She's a good 'un! Great reaching out!

    I knew Aili's story was going to bring her trouble!

    You're makin' the rounds EARLY today! WOW! Surprised me!

    4:56 AM  
    Blogger LoieJ said...

    I think there are corollaries to these that cant' be ignored if problems are going to be "fixed." I am always amazed when I read a commentator who has a different basis for the start of his/her discussion than I do, which isn't, I guess, to say I am right, because I guess I am "BELIEVING" one point of view, not really investigating it.

    1)Some people don't "believe" there is global warming. So, is this science or is this something that takes "faith?" How do we talk about this?

    2)Some people think it is just fine to "use up" what we have. They forget about their great grand children. Or maybe they think that the rapture will come before the resources are used up or that Jesus will return soon so it doesn't matter. And if we aren't on the Lord's timetable, then what?

    3)Are there too many people? Not enough food? Poor distribution? Too much waste? Or too much being hoarded and not shared? What is really going on from a factual point of view?

    4)Running out of water or fresh water being used in ways that are wasteful? Should the Great Lakes share the water with the West????

    5:30 AM  
    Blogger Dragonstar said...

    Your saying for the day is another good one! And the Crystal Falls flowers were really beautiful!

    7:58 AM  
    Blogger Linda said...

    Thank you so much for your visit to my blog. It is always encouraging to hear how the Lord has worked in such a miraculous way in someone's life. We are walking through a season that makes these verses very precious.

    9:22 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I wish I were a postage stamp. All I stick to anymore is my pillow.

    10:57 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I hear you on all of these and I wish there were easy answers to any one of them. It's frustrating.

    2:51 PM  
    Blogger tsduff said...

    Man alive - I started by reading about your working on the blog links... got waylaid immediately by JanVangogh's beautiful polarbear art, and from there went on a linking/blogging adventure from which I've only just now returned (an hour later I might add). Nice links by the way :)

    Regarding your saying for the day: "Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there." ~Josh Billings

    I learned recently that multi-tasking is a sure way to encourage the onset of Alzheimers - or at least some forms of dementia... but armed with that knowledge, I still find it nye unto impossible to begin one task and finish it... without doing a 1/2 dozen other things in the middle. Blogging is now exception.

    9:41 PM  
    Blogger Neoma said...

    My Mom blames every problem in the world on the fact that people have too many children.....and then she points a finger at me and tells me that I had more than I was allowed. I was allowed two, I had five........and I feel very guilty about taking someone else quota.....

    I guess in a way it is true though.....

    4:40 PM  
    Blogger Neoma said...

    PS, my Grandma, my Mom's Mom, had 11 kids.......

    4:41 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home