Saturday, December 22, 2007

Spirit of Christmas

Saying for the day: I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys. ~Charles Dickens

I went shopping yesterday and I discovered much to my surprise that the Spirit of Christmas is alive and well in the real world.
We went to Wal Mart and the parking lot was almost full. The place was crowded with people.
Now my stereotype of such a crowd is of belligerent, nasty, pushy shoppers. Who would step on you of you don’t get out of the way. I didn’t run into any of those people.
Instead I found kind and helpful people who went out of their way to give me a hand.
There was the poor lady I almost ran down in my motorized chair. She apologized because she didn’t move fast enough to the right.
There was the nice gentleman who followed me through the frozen food section and when I stopped asked if there was something I wanted. He knew how hard it was to get the freezer door open from a motorized cart.
There was the teenager who got me the can of raspberry pie filling from a shelf too high for me to reach.
There were numerous people who ,when I was stopped and thinking about where I was going next, asked if I was okay.
So many people filled with the love and kindness which is so much a part of Christmas.
What a wonderful world.

#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal, except for the pigeons. The pigeons are still doing there thing. Tommy UK has asked Ms. Purcell if he could look at the video from the last few days. He is very interested in the start and the end of each day. He still thinks the pigeons are playing follow the leader even though Ms.Purcell has assured him they aren’t.
Tommy TW’s book signing went very well yesterday. A lot of people wanted to buy the first mystery novel set in Pigeon Falls. Jack felt it was worth postponing his trip to Florida for the event. After all there is a picture of his Sauna on the cover.
Today Nancy has a coffee with the author scheduled at her coffee shop. The Pigeon Falls Book and Ski Club will gather there at 2:00 in the afternoon. Tommy TW’s book will be their next read. This is the group that used to read and ski at the same time until Doris Sso ran into that tree. Now they keep the two activities separate.
Petrovich has given up trying to find a driblet that has to do with the pigeons strange behavior. This was his big chance and it just didn’t happen.
By request Wink’s Woods started selling Pigeon themed umbrellas today. They won’t do much for snow but they will protect you from pigeon droppings . Given the increased pigeon activity there has been a lot of those.
******

Today's Link-Hello is this Thing On- A bit of a whimsical
blog.
Well it was a good day. I worked on the layout all day. Betty and Pennie went shopping . I got the train in the first module wired so it can now be controlled from the operational center. I then put three Christmas cars behind the engine and ran it. I almost lost it. The transformer was too
powerful. It went so fast it almost flew off the corner. I pulled that transformer and found one with less power and not it runs well. It was good to see the train running. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, have met a surprising amount of kinder, friendlier, more gentle people this season. I wish everyone would keep Christmas kindness in their hearts year round.

5:02 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

So are the pigeons not flying at night?

6:15 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Hi Dr John,
here's wishing you and your close ones much merry making and all the best for the festive season

6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Dr. John. I am glad you did not run into any grinches!!

7:25 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

You are so right people seem to be more friendly during Christmas, It is sad most of them revert back to themselves when the holidays are over.

Hoping you and Betty have a wonderful Joyous Christmas

Bill

1:54 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I had to run to the grocery store today, my only problem was that peeps were too nice and wouldn't get out of my way.

I found a Christmas Present for you Dr. John. Art from Finland.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

5:03 PM  
Blogger GW said...

We spent this afternoon and evening at a indoor/outdoor fancy mall with our friends. It's all decorated so beautifully with lights everywhere. People were pretty nice, too. We've noticed not as many homeowners are decorating in our town as in years past, so seeing all the lights tonight was especially nice.

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home