Sunday, July 15, 2007

Suprise- The Pope is Roman Catholic

I read the latest blog entry from The Rev. Dr. Kate which consists of an open letter to Pope Benedict. Dr. Kate is very upset with the Pope’s latest pronouncement in which he says that only The Roman Catholic Church is the Church. All other Christian groups are “ wounded communities”. This upset Dr. Kate. So I felt a need to do some research. First I went and read
the original pronouncement. You can find a significant portion of it HERE . Then I read what others were saying about it. This ranged from reminding people that the Pope was once a Nazi to my favorite “ Surprise –The Pope is Roman Catholic”.
Having done that much reading I can now offer you my opinion on the Pope’s action. I applaud it. Not because it is right. If I thought it was right I would be Roman Catholic. No, I applaud it because it is honest. We live in an age where people have begun to believe that one should lie for the common good. The Ecumenical movement is full of non-speak. Leaders say things designed to irritate no one. This gives an impression that churches are moving closer together when they aren’t. But for us really to come together we have to start with who we really are or who we consider ourselves to be. The Pope see the Roman Catholic Church as the one true church. We need to know that. We need to talk to his church knowing what they really believe and not what we want them to believe.
There are those who say they know Roman Catholics who believe that other Christian communities are also Church. That may be true but the Pope by his pronouncement has reminded us that there is only one voice inside the Catholic Church that counts and that’s the voice of the Pope. He has all the power and we need to know what he believes not what we want him to believe. Truth is better than fiction.
The Ecumenical movement will not die because of this pronouncement. If anything it will grow stronger.
Do I feel insulted by the Pope’s pronouncement. No. He is what he is and I am what I am. But in the Ecumenical world at least he’s honest.

@@@@ News from Pigeon Falls– the little town in my garage where the trains still run, dragons fly, and Last Lutheran waits for an answer.– Pastor Moe is preaching his farewell sermon to Last Lutheran today. He has been named interim Pastor at another parish. So even if Pastor Castle turns Last Lutheran down Pastor Moe is gone. Today he told them that he enjoyed his ministry at Last Lutheran. One has to wonder if that is the truth considering all that happened to him over the year or so he was here. He was turned upside down by a poltergeist that he refuses to admit exists. He was a Catholic Priest in “The Dream”. He got some anonymous letters telling him how much “everyone hated him”. This has not been an easy year for him. But he stood in the pulpit and told them he enjoyed his time with them and that they were a wonderful congregation. Pastors must be very flexible .
After the service they had a going away coffee for Pastor Moe. They gave him some very nice gifts to remember them by. These included the Poltergeist meets the Dragon comic book and a I survived the Dragon sweat shirt. He also got some cards with money in them but not much. It had all the form of celebration but not much of the feel.
The congregation now waits to hear from Pastor Castle. She is on a camping trip with the youth group of her present parish. They have to wait for her to come back to get any indication of what she is thinking. Some are afraid that the fact that she went on the camping trip means she is not going to come to Last Lutheran.
******

Today's Link- Dialectic Tension- A good blog about love - Leave a Dr. John in the comment.
We went to Church this morning. We had a guest preacher. I got to have coffee with her after the service. She runs a retreat program. She uses the Catholic Retreat Center and commented on how upset some of the Catholic brothers were at the recent announcement by the Pope. We spent a quiet afternoon with just about everybody napping. We ended it with a canasta game. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

10 Comments:

Blogger QUASAR9 said...

If only it were all as simple as being a member of a Club or Church

But the thing I have most difficulty is not with the Pope or any other wannabee pope

I have trouble with the concept of what people think a GOD is - I've yet to meet too people who agree no matter how simply you put it, and the more words we add the more it diversifies.

And the second is what the afterlife or heaven is going to be like ... again no one seems to be able to agree. Sure many people pay lip service, but if there's absolutely no right or wrong, then will heaven or the afterlife be any less of a mess than this life.

But kudos to you Dr John, the first commandment of Christ - well the second to be more precise, is you shall love your neighbour (and enemies) like you love yourself

At least you'll feel at home in Christ's kingdom.

But you'll not be surprised at how many miserable people out there think they'll have a place in Christ's kingdom - yet clearly have no notion of what it means to be kind or forgiving, and yes learning from mistakes ... after all one can't expect to keep jumping out of plane without a parachute and not get hurt. What's more one should check one's pwen parachute and use a reputable parachute club, and even then you still need to trust that no one sabotages the chute ...
and believe me in the real world there are many people out there whose only pleasure is sabotaging chutes, and causing other people pain.

And there are also those who do protest too much

6:36 AM  
Blogger Alpha Dude said...

Nicely said.

I choose to follow what the Bible says, which, by the way, tells us to test the religeous teachers to make sure they are in tune with what is written in the scriptures.

Blessings to you sir.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

If we can agree to disagree, it helps a lot.

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also don't take offense at what the Pope said. He has a strong faith in his beliefs. I have faith in my beliefs. Isn't that kind of the whole point of religion? If we don't believe deeply in it's rightness, what is the point? Personally, I think most religions could do with a bit less political correctness.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Think I might have had a problem if the Pope had called the rest of us infidels.

Pastor Moe is being diplomatic. Guess he didnt read what the Pope had to say.

1:39 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Nicely put. I sorta said that it is okay to acknowledge and respect another's beliefs - but it there are some matters that an individual embraces, brings to heart and calls their own.

I never found a church that embraced everything that I did, and sadly one that didn't respect/acknowledge another's belief in matters stating that they and only they were right.

Faith is an individual and personal relationship between man/woman and their maker.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

I have since many years problems with churches. I don't go anymore. I had to experience myself the difference it can make by belonging to a different church than others. This was in wedlock, this was in jobs. The Pope, the Archbishop of Canterbury and whoever else talk about ecumenics. Let them talk. Me I talk directly with God. And I believe, he hears me wll.

8:56 PM  
Blogger -atomik kitten said...

At first I was vaguely amused by his comment...then I became utterly disgusted when the church decided to hem haw and say, "No...that's not what he REALLY meant..." Look, if you say something, have the pelotas to stand by it. There's going to be a lot of people from a lot of denominations that are going to be awfully surprised at who they see when they make it to heaven. God is no respecter of persons no matter WHAT church they attend.

Don't get me wrong - I know there will be false teachers...and that they will deceive many. I am just talking about the incredibly self righteous holier than thou types that think only their specific denom is going to heaven..thus playing God and passing judgment. The book of Matthew says judge not lest ye be judged.

9:17 PM  
Blogger ArtsyTartsyViray said...

Thanks for your comments on the Pope.. I couldn't have said it better myself!!

12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You said everything about the Pope, Catholic Church, exactly the way I would have said it ... including that's why I'm not a Catholic. (I had honestly studied for that possibility.)
LOIS

3:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home