Friday, February 23, 2007

Bits and Pieces

Bits and Pieces
Just a few things I found this week on the blogs that you can read or jump over.

Do you want to know where words like threshold and wake came from? Do you want to know where terms like “saved by the bell” , “ upper crust” and “chewing the fat” came from. Well our good friend Alastair did the deep research for us and you can see it by clicking HERE. This is the kind of useless information that you can surprise your friends with.

Want to make a reasonable easy to prepare meal. Well Margaret gives us a recipe for Swedish Meatballs ( that’s Swedish not Finnish). That is easy to make and low in cost. Click HERE for that.

Wondering what to get for that special gift. Want something original, usable, and reasonable in cost. Then click HERE and see the cups designed by Janvanghogh.

You have read what the political right thinks of the people in Washington and you have read what the political left thinks of those same people. Click HERE for a blog by the raging middle.

Wouild you like to see some beautiful pictures of a winter walk in Calgary Alberta, Canada? Then click HERE and The Old Fart will guide you.


@@@@News from Pigeon Falls– The little town where the trains still run, dragons might fly, and the Lutherans are sad.– All day yesterday Nancy listened to Pastor Marvel stories. You know the ones that begin “ I remember when”. It would seem that the good Pastor touched a lot of lives during his twenty years in Pigeon Falls and they really don’t want him to go. But even if they don’t want him to go he is leaving. He will be at Last Lutheran for two more Sundays and then he will be on his way to Florida. He has arranged for the Bishop to come and talk with the Council about what happens next. The Bishop will be in Pigeon Falls next Wednesday and will have super with the council. He will also preach at the Midweek Lenten service. Nancy says she has read where there is a shortage of pastors in the ELCA and they may not be able to get one for Last Lutheran. The head of the council said that it doesn’t seem fair for God to take their one Pastor and send him to a congregation that already has two. Not fair at all! Perhaps the Bishop can explain that.
It snowed last night in Pigeon Falls and Mrs. Trumble was out this morning with her Anderson snow scoop. Usually Tommy UK does the driveway for her but with his sprained ankle he couldn’t. Those darn deer cause so many problems.
A stranger came in on the milk train this morning. He had no skis , no snowmobile, and didn’t look like the hunting type. He took a room at the Fly Inn but he didn’t have a reservation. He said he was in town to visit an old friend but he didn’t say who. One thing is sure you can’t sneak into Pigeon Falls on the milk train.
********

Today's Link- BagMomma- Ever wonder what a super hero could do for you? Wonder no more! Please be heroic and leave the usual Dr. John in the comment.
I slept pretty well last night which means I was really ready for this super dull day. I did a little blogging ( sound familiar?) . I watched my soaps. I did some more blogging. I watched Law and Order CI. I did some more blogging. I almost forgot the high point of the day . My sister Dawn called just to say hello. That was the excitement. The center of the day. Now I need a breathing treatment .
GBYA

10 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Pastor Marvel leaves, stranger comes to town. Probably a connection.

6:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the good links today, Dr. John.

Hmm, strangers on the milk train -- sounds like a recipe for disaster!

12:46 PM  
Blogger Bare said...

Cool links! Gonna check a few of those out! I hate the that Pastor Marvel left :0(, but he had to do what he had to do. And a stranger heading into Pigeon Falls? Where is the White Rabbit in all this?

12:56 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Pastor, shepherd, to be or not to be
spiritual doctor, healer, could one be

But what is our role meant to be
to believe and believe whatever you will.

Grandfather the best job must be
as even Abraham did wish to 'see'
children running up for more
that i think best fulfils the score
other than that
sailing from shore to shore

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. John. you're my hero and I think you're pretty darn super!

4:41 PM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Just wanted to take the time to say thankyou. Thankyou so much for the link today. A stranger on the Milk Train. Did the stranger resemble Farley Granger ??

A wonderful weekend is wished for you and Betty

5:32 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

I didn't read of pidgeon falls, barely read the dayly comment. I am forcing myself to stay online long enough to visit the blogs of at least a few friends.

Sometimes dull days are just what we need.

I listen to Dr. Troll, I just don't always do exactly what he says!

9:13 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

The high point of my day was bringing a new puppy home!!!

10:07 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

Dull to some, excitement for others, lately I prefer dull and predictable. I enjoy knowing that the highlight of my day will be the mail.

I enjoyed Bill's walk through the snow. I would love to take that walk, all bundled up, I remember the sound that snow makes under rubber boots. I haven't heard that sound in years, nor smelled snow. It makes me a bit homesick to think about it, I think I am going to try and take a trip to my hometown in the not to distant future, and hope that it snows while I am there.....

Thank you for the links, I enjoyed them.

2:13 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

...oh Dr. John maybe it was the unexpected death of uncle Pedro, or James departure, but my silly heart aches...

i know i have been absent from blogging but i am tired of reading my own whinning and my ongoing health ups and downs..life seems to be a weird, weird mix.. but i read your blog daily in my feed read and i still enjoy them and find comfort in them...pls don't ever forget that or doubt it..i just feel like i got nothing to give outwardly if not negative, sad talk still...

thank you for you ongoing love and prayers for the Taylors. how beautiful it is to see your love and kindness reach them..

pls be well, i was very worried over your bad sleep and breathing..pls take care and be healthy.i don't think i can take another friend suffering..

much love to you and yours. hugs to Betty..

2:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home