Thursday, January 21, 2010

Word Saving


Town Council met last night to begin finalizing the annual snowmobile races which are set to begin Saturday February 13. As usual the first race will begin at the town hall and then take the Bullfrog Juppola trail out to the Lake of the Loon’s and back. Snowmobiles will be sent out at ten minute intervals. Winning will depend on total elapsed time out and back. Then on Sunday the excitement will move to the Lake of the Loons and a fifty lap traditional head to head race. Mrs. Trumble has arranged for two great trophies to be presented to the winner and there is a cash prize of $500 also donated by Mrs. Trumble.
Eino was asked if he thought a local person had a chance of winning this year and he answered “ A local person will win when the devil rides to work on a snowmobile”. Then he reminded people that the snowmobile makers send in teams of highly trained people with souped up power machines and one of those always wins.
Neil Larson’s boy Norman thinks Eino is wrong. This year he will win one or the other of the races and possibly both. He has been busy all year upgrading his machine and is convinced it can go head to head with anything out there. He even has a lace in his room for the trophy. His dad believes in him and is putting up the $50 entry fee.


This is the day I usually do a story with Quilly’s words. But Quilly is busy with her move from Hawaii to Washington State and hasn’t said when or if Quilly’s words will return.
( This post was entered by auto post. I had such trouble with my computer yesterday that I didn't get to do much blog visiting. It seems Quilly is back and next Thursday her word game starts again. Sorry I missed that information)
The whole idea of bringing back old words seems to me like a good one. I’m not sure we accomplished that with Quilly’s words. We did our day of stories and then they went back on the historical trash pile.
But at least we gave them a moment in the sun.
So no matter what Quilly does. I intend to try another approach.
Every Monday I will reach into the past and pull forward one word. I will then use that word somewhere in my blog every day until the following Monday.
I will invite you to use it as well. If your willing just leave a comment on that Monday saying “ I’m in” The dragons will then monitor your blog all week long and they have a special award for the person they think did the best.

So if your interested check in on Monday and as Jackie Gleason used to say “ Away we go”

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best-Wishes to all the participants.
May the best win. Start...

1:48 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Oh I do hope Norman wins! I LOVE it when a local wins! I've heard that Sarah-Jane Krumpmayer from Duluth is gonna be there. SHE is someone to reckon with! They SAY the Devil won't even COME to work on his snow mobile if SHE's ridin'!

You and your WORDS! And another weekly... LOL! Bring it on! As long as I can "fit it in" and don't have to go writin' stories! ;)

3:19 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

This sounds interesting. I don't usually have time to blog everyday however I may just have to make an exception! I love words.
Love Di

4:20 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

I'll give your word idea a try. of course, that requires that I actually post something.

6:20 AM  
Anonymous quilly said...

Actually, Dr. John, I did say what was happening to 3WT. I sent you an email and posted it on my blog. I am sorry I wasn't quick enough to suit you, but 1st I was so busy I forgot 3WT and second, I was sick and missed a day on the internet.

I like your word idea. I will be looking forward to it.

I fear the devil is going to show up in the Pigeon Falls snowmobile contest.

6:30 AM  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

I'm in, sort of, I think, with reservations. It depends on what the word turns out to be. You do realize, of course, that this will require me to post every single day, and that may prove problematical.

But I'll try to give it a try.

6:31 AM  
Blogger Gattina said...

That's too complicated for me, lol ! I am already proud to speak modern English.

8:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooo a snowmobile race. Love it. I'm certainly going to be in with your word...See ya on the Moon Alice

8:44 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Away we go with the devil on his snowmobile machine! Sounds exciting.

Since Pigeon Falls is one of the leaders of innovation perhaps it is time for them to have different classes. They could all run together (like the grand prix auto races) or have separate races for the various classes. Obviously Norman's is close to being stock.
(Our 1934 Ford used run as a modified stock and would win many 'B Feature' races. We held it back in the heat races so we didn't have to compete in the 'A Feature.' Especially if I were our driver of the day.)
..

8:48 AM  
Blogger aims said...

I wish I had the time Dr. J. and I wish I had the energy. But I will stop by and visit and see what words you come up with.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

ME?? Ditto what aims said.
(I miss jackie gleason)
<><

11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As long as the devil & his motorcycle leave those loons alone! I like loons. Does that make me loony?

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait!!! I meant SNOWMOBILE.
Motorcycle. Sheesh. Where is my brain today?!?!

1:47 PM  
Blogger inappropriatesue said...

As always your 55's live up to the promise... what a groaner! Very funny. I'm up too right HERE

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Alice Audrey said...

Go Norman!

7:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Groan. The skunks are still cute. I will try to make it back for your word thing.


Mine is up Here

5:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

www0712
bucks jerseys
canada goose jackets
mont blanc pens
longchamp handbags
canada goose outlet
suns jerseys
nike foamposite
nike revolution
tods outlet
coach outlet







11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home