Saturday, March 21, 2009

Raven's Challenge 55

Today's Link
Slouching Past 40

Today's Saying
A great many people think that polysyllables are a sign of intelligence. ~Barbara Walters

Today's Picture
The Snow is really going!

It is Saturday and time to play with words supplied by Raven's Wordzzle

This Week's Ten Word Challenge will be: humanity, shadow, ricochet, wrong, pluralism, mathematics, personhood, printing press, ink spot, choral society
Mini Challenge: kingdom, take names, best seller, three times, inner demons

The Mega Challenge Expressed in the
Ongoing Adventures of Agent 012

Agent 012 his teeth gleaming from his visit with the dentist and with a smile that would make a choral society member proud was on his way to the “ Mathematics Kingdom” in Philadelphia. This center where the greatest mathematical minds of our time were working had come under a dark shadow. Three times the group had received threatening letters telling them that if they didn’t stop the current project they would all be destroyed.
The Agency's mathematical expert had spent all morning trying to explain to Agent 012 the nature of the current project which had to do with relating personhood in humanity to obscure mathematical formulas. Agent 012 didn’t understand a word of the explanation. Math had never been his strong point and his wife kept the check book because he always got the totals wrong. But Agent 012 did understand threats and the inner demons of the people who make them. He had studied at great length the best sellerPluralism of Threat Motivation” and could almost recite some pages from memory.
When he arrived at the center he knew his first job was to take names. He needed to know everyone who was openly critical of the center, the names of all the people the center had fired recently, and anyone that any individual was fighting with. It was a very long list.
As Agent 012 headed for the main office to read the original threatening letters the printing press suddenly exploded. Ink and parts of the press flew in every direction. A big red spot appeared on Agent 012’s shirt . Either he had been hit by some ricochet ink and had a big ink spot or he was hit by a piece of the press and the big red spot was blood.
This was not going to be his day.

The Ten Word Challenge-A Spot of Philosophy

The great philosopher Iam Broody looked at the ink spot left by the leaky printing press and thought that the meaning of all humanity and personhood was somehow caught up in that single spot. Others might look for eternal truth in mathematics or in the works of the choral society but he knew the truth was in the ink spot. He could not be wrong. The present pluralism of philosophic panderings made it seem as if their ideas were equal to his but they could not be. Occasionally their work cast a shadow over his as ideas ricocheted in every direction. He hated that. Ink spots and ink spots alone were where it’s at. This has been true since Rorschach. stumbled on the fact. He just needed people to listen.

The Mini Challenge as a very sad Quivel
In the Drunk Tank

Take names she said in a very loud voice
Three Times leaving us no choice
This bacchante; who faced the dawn
As inner demons drove her on
Queachy the land she stood upon
With her kingdom almost gone
No best seller now she sought
Like a jibber sorely caught.

The Mega Challenge as a Sentence

Three times Paula Personhood inventor of the ink spot printing press and writer of the best seller Understanding the Mathematics of Ricochet Wrong had pushed aside the shadow of her inner demons to serve humanity and the choral society by bringing pluralism to the kingdom but she had to say no when asked to take names of opposition leaders.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal
It is Saturday and time to look back over the week in Pigeon Falls.
Tuesday– Last Lutheran Church received the gift of an old but usable printing press and Pastor Joan had them put it in her office. She wanted to print out the bulletin for the choral society program which was being held at the church. She wanted to give the bulletins an extra touch of class with shadows in the printing. What she didn’t expect was the amount of ink the machine threw as it ran making ink spots all over the office. Now she had beautiful bulletins and a hitonious office . It was so wrong. One big blob had ricocheted and hit her in the face and she couldn’t get the ink off. Not that having a green spotted face was a threat to her personhood but it did do damage to her self image. She felt she should have stayed with the copy machine.
Wednesday –Bob Mattson’s son was home from college and spent the week complaining. He just didn’t see why students enrolled in the humanity curriculum had to take basic mathematics. He had his own inner demons when it came to math. He had never liked it. He did like, however, the course on “ Pluralism in the Twentieth Century”. Three times his father tried to change the subject then sent him out to clean out the pig pen.
Thursday– Tommy TW was informed that his latest book was now a best seller. He was so happy he told Nancy that when she was at the Coffee Shop she should take names of anybody that wanted a signed copy and he would give them a free one. He has begun work on his next book “ Murder in the Kingdom of the Pigs”
Friday– One of the patrons of the Fly Inn swears he saw a shadow moving along the main street from the museum but there was no one there to cast it. It was , he said, really weird. Nobody is paying any attention because he had a lot to drink but he says the sight sobered him up.

Wrap UP
The dragons have posted a wall of Wordzzle award winners as they prepare for today's crop. It can be seen HERE. And now the winner of today's award is printed HERE. Our congratulations go to the winner.
I had a busy day. I posted my own wordzzles. I read all eleven wordzzle entries. I so enjoy doing that but afterwards I feel so inferior. These are really creative people. I just love Phrog and the book Richard is writing. I look forward every week to the next chapter by both of them. Then there is all that creative story telling . I just love them all.
I also visited the blogs of everybody who left a comment yesterday and where the entries were new to me I left a comment. My sister called and we talked a bit about story telling. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
*************************************************************

22 Comments:

Blogger Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Agent 012 has it rough.

Glad to see the snow is melting. It makes me happy too!

5:01 AM  
Blogger jane said...

Oh Dr. John,

Don't look outside this morning....
and thanks for posting so early in the morning!

Jane from St Mark's

5:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agent 012 has his work cut out for him that's for sure.

I just love the present pluralism of philosophic panderings. Clever.

And possibly the patron in Pigeon Falls is on to who stole the crane and put it back for the children to play on...only the shadow knows for sure.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Jientje said...

Melting snow!! Woohoo!!

8:42 AM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

I hope the ink spot on agent 012's shirt is just that - ink!

9:13 AM  
Blogger Dianne said...

Iam Broody - what a great name!

9:33 AM  
Blogger Finding Pam said...

Once again, the genius of your writing leaves me feeling inspired. I hope that is an ink spot on agent 012's chest.

I am happy that the snow is melting. Have a marvelous weekend.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Raven said...

I hope Agent 012 is ok... I like the inkspot theory and the sad quivel. Excellent offerings as always.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

Our snow came back. I hope yours didn't!

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no! Agent 012 is having a bad day? Who could have anticipated that?! ;)

I hope the ink comes off Pastor's face, though if it doesn't it could give an interesting dimension to her sermon.

And, having read the comments, then read between the lines of the comments, I am not going to welcome you to Spring just yet.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Agent 012 had a good visit with the Dentist, He must be using "Crest" as he had no cavities.

A Blessed Weekend is wished for you and Betty and Family.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

Ohhhh I HOPE that's red ink on 012!

The Fortress of Words seems to be living up to it's usual high standards of Qwordzliness! I'm impressed!

My Amanda SO agrees with the Mattson boy! I'll tell Bob to send him to her -- she'll lend a sympathetic ear!

Poor Pastor Joan. You know... sometimes it's hard enough to get a congregation to take you seriously even when you DON'T have green ink on your face... (and I heard the Bishop is coming for tomorrow's service!)

1:29 PM  
Blogger juliana said...

ah, so agent 012 is in trouble again...
you are raising quivel to a whole new level :)

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doing my own little "breathing treatments" these days - the doctor prescribed me an inhaler. Since my mother is now diagnosed with asthma and my father has COPD, I guess this won't be the first time I take on such things.

Nice to see your yard nearly clear of snow!

4:39 PM  
Blogger . said...

Dr John,
I salute you! Thankyou for visitng my blog, noting that I'd neglected to post my Wordzzle but commenting on my poem ' A Paragon of Love (1)'.
Agent 012 is someone I'm sure I've met...in a printing press somewhere. But anyway, great imagination and you've a new fan here in Ireland.

And by the way, I've posted my Wordzzle. :)

5:26 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

Agent 012 still hasn't learned to duck. What's up with that?

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your stories are wonderful. I love Agent 012. I wrote the other monthy challenge story about the boat picture. These words this week were hard for me. Thankyou for your comments.
Connie

5:34 PM  
Blogger Carletta said...

I won't even think that that red spot is anything other than ink!
As usual Dr.John you have done a marvelous job. I even understand the Quivel!

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your In the Drunk Tank today.

Are you writing a book on Pigeon Falls? It sounds such an interesting place!

11:05 PM  
Blogger Gattina said...

My IQ mustn't be very high, I don't understand anything with this wordzell stuff.

11:40 PM  
Blogger lissa said...

I like the sad quivel the best though Agent 012 is intriguing as well

thanks for your visit to my Saturday Challenge

8:48 AM  
Blogger Cherie said...

Oh gosh, I find you to be amazingly creative! I haven't read the other Worddazzles (as I call them) yet, but I can tell you one thing. Your fun stories bring me back every day (unless I'm out of town). I always find your writing delightful. :)

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home