Thursday, January 21, 2010

Skunked


On Saturday at the theater Pigeon Falls will hold the Snow Queen Beauty Pageant. The winner will be Queen of the Snowmobile Days celebrations. All the important girls are entered. You know the ones. They are the center of everything. They are the Cheer Leaders, Class officers, Prom Queens, etc. Every beauty contest has them as the only entrants. Everybody knows how important they are. Their parents are on the Town Council, business owners, relatively rich people. They have the money to buy beautiful dresses , a new one for each contest. So nobody else even bothers to try.
But this time somebody, for a joke, entered Samantha Westcott. She lives literally on the other side of the tracks. She and her mother live in an old three room house just before the railroad crossing. Her father died in a Iraq and her mother does the best she can to keep things together for the two of them. She hasn’t had a new dress in years. In fact all the clothes she owns have come from St. Vincent De Paul.
Since her name was entered the in girls have been making fun of her. Nancy Pemberthy dumped ashes on her in the lunch room and said “ Look! It’s Cinderella”.
When she first discovered that somebody had put her name in she was going to withdraw but when the insults started she decided that staying in, even though she couldn’t win, would drive the in group nuts. She was a Wescott and she was both proud and stubborn.
She and her mother went to St. Vincent De Paul and got the fanciest dress they had. Her mother made some adjustments to it. It wasn’t half as nice as the others but she was going ahead anyway.


Friday 55 Flash Fiction is brought to you by G-man (Mr Knowitall). The idea is you write a story in exactly 55 words. If you want to take part pop over and let G-man know when you've posted your 55. Here is my first story:

A mother skunk gave birth to twins, whom she named In and Out.

One day she asked Out to find In who was out.

"What?" said Out.

" Go find In", the mother said


Very soon Out was back with In.

"How did you find In so quickly? asked his mother.




(here it comes....)


"In stinkt."



Since I discovered it was okay I am writing a second flash 55 which will be a continuous story but a complete story every week. Here then is the fortieth chapter in the exciting ongoing adventures of Sir Laughsalot and Robberhood.

The entire story to date is HERE
The most recent chapters are HERE

Sir Laughsalot was coming back with a dragon head.
Shining Knight was out on a quest.
It was night so Day Knight was not a Knight
Nite Kinght was sleeping soundly.
Robberhood's men broke into the Castle and took the King's crown, jewels, and clothes .
Left the King in his underwear.
He was so embarrassed.

32 Comments:

Blogger Ronda Laveen said...

Oh, it is a groaner but a great one. Ha!

I'll have to catch up on your serial Flash as I'm new.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Brian Miller said...

instikt...love it. you always leave me with a smile. at least robberhood left the king with his underwear as well. lol.

my 55 is up!

5:09 PM  
Blogger ♥ Boomer ♥ said...

Ha!!!!!! Great 55. Fun! ♥
Mine's up.

5:21 PM  
Blogger G-Man said...

Nawwww...A Smiler!!
Thanks for the grin Doc as always,
an Excellent 55!!
Thank you for this whimsical contribution, and have a Wonderful Week-End...G

5:35 PM  
Blogger smarmoofus said...

Follow your nose... it always knows! *giggle* Cute one.

-smarmoofus

6:19 PM  
Blogger Maude Lynn said...

Good one, Dr. John!

6:40 PM  
Blogger Monkey Man said...

Didn't guess that one. Very nice. My 55 is HERE.

6:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well that stunk if you get my drift. LOL. and two posts in one day? Wow. I'm pulling for Samantha. I want her to win. :)

6:45 PM  
Anonymous quilly said...

Grooooan -- I LOVED it!

And since the king still had his underwear, he wasn't completely 'baressed, was he?

6:49 PM  
Blogger Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

funny 55! where do you come up with this stuff?
<><

6:52 PM  
Blogger Janna said...

In stinkt!
LOL! Groan!
And I love the skunk picture you put with it, where he's pointing at the guy who stinks. :)

Thanks for doing Friday 55!
You can read mine right here.

9:29 PM  
Blogger Gattina said...

Now I regret that we don't have any skunks here, lol ! (only cats)

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your imagination is amazing!

I am loving the appearance of underdogs. Perhaps it won't be long before the devil will ride to work on a snowmobile!

11:13 PM  
Blogger anthonynorth said...

Oh yes, I think that must be about your best :-)

12:33 AM  
Blogger Hootin Anni said...

I've heard this very same story since I was a kid....

My 55 is HERE, scroll below my show n tell stuff.

Happy Friday.

4:19 AM  
Blogger Reverend Michael Kilgore said...

Well crafted as usual and yes....groan! Got one up..

5:19 AM  
Blogger Jessie said...

cute ... your posts help me look at some words in a new light.

5:22 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

This was adorable!

6:32 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Oh well, you knOw I'm rooting for Miss Westcott now! I can't help it! I hope our Cinderella has a real Cinderella story to tell when this is all over! What size shoe does she wear? I would like to send her some lovely glass slippers!

I'm not sure if I'm groaning more over Out's InStinkt... or Robberhood's men getting the King's crown(comma)jewels and clothes! LOL!

6:47 AM  
Blogger Lou said...

You make me smile!

6:57 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

To be Queen of the Snowmobile Days really hits home! That is a feat I can never accomplish. I'm too old now.
..

7:03 AM  
Blogger Susan at Stony River said...

Aaawwww -- cute! If only it were bad so I could say it stinks, but...LOL

Poor King. What next I wonder?

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Alice Audrey said...

Hey, Pigeon Falls has a St. Vinnie's too? Boy, I miss that place.

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Alice Audrey said...

In Stinckt?

LOL! Oops, I mean "groan."

7:31 AM  
Blogger clean and crazy said...

i love it!! great job, mine is up too

9:33 AM  
Blogger Argent said...

DrJohn, you brought a smile to me after a long hard week. Thanks. I can see I might have to join in the fun on this 55 word thingy (the Dragons will be amazed if I can do it!).

9:35 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

You are just too too funny and reading your jokes at work are going to get me in trouble.

:)

Boy Meets Girl in 55

10:16 AM  
Blogger aims said...

Very good Doc. J.

I'm glad she's staying in the game. It almost sounds like 'Carrie'!

10:29 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Lets hope Samantha wins, and it is a real Cinderella Story. Snicker at both Flash 55's.

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A groaner for sure ~ but oh so cute this week. A smile on my face for sure.


I'm up after a few weeks hiatus:

Friday Flash 55 ~ Fortress

1:33 PM  
Blogger Peter Stone said...

That's an absolute riot, I love word plays like that. No groaning from me :)

My 55 is HERE

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home