Sunday, June 14, 2009

@nd Sunday After Pentecost

Today's Link
Gathering Grace

Today's Saying
2nd corinthians:5:17So if anyone is in Christ, there is a new creation: everything old has passed away; see, everything has become new!

Today's Picture

Granddaughter and Friend

Today the Liturgical churches will celebrate the 2nd Sunday after Pentecost. This season shifts the focus from the wonder and action of God to what is happening in an to us because of that action. The Gospel for this Sunday Mark 4:26-34 constrains several parables on growth. The second lesson is 2 Corinthians 5:6-17 contains the good news of what belonging to Jesus means to us.
Here we discover that by the action of the Holy Spirit we are new creatures. Indeed the old has passed away .
There’s the good news. We used to nbe lost and now we’ve been found.
We used to be separated but now we have been reunited with God.
We used to be broken but now we have been repaired.
We are new.
What we used to be can not hold us.
What we used to be can not destroy us.
What we used to be no longer counts.
I am a new creation.
I used to be an atheist but now I know Christ lives.
I used to think I knew better than the Christians but now I am one of them.
I am a new creation.
When I read those words I want to throw confetti and blow horns.
Since God remade me life has been so tremendous
I used to be sad but now I have joy in Jesus.
And what joy it is.
How wonderful to have a joy that does not depend on my health or my fortune ( neither one of which is great)
How wonderful to have a joy that the day to day events can’t take away.
I am a new creation.
I want to shout it out. I really do.
I want to share this joy with you.
But if you don’t want it that’s okay.
I don’t want to push anything on you.
Your free to think I’m some kind of nut. That’s okay too.
Your free to think your smarter than me and that you have a better grasp of reality than I do. That’s okay.
Because I am a new creation.
I can’t make you become one but you can’t change me either.
My joy goes on.
What a wonderful day God has given me.
A day to gather with his people.
A day to sing his praises.
A day to listen to His Word.
This is the day the Lord has made I will rejoice and be glad in it.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal
It is rather a dark Sunday at Last Lutheran. Tammy and Tommy UK are known by everybody in the congregation and their disappearance has everybody upset. Pastor Joan felt a need to address the problem in her sermon. Here is a piece of that sermon:
“ I know your all concerned because Tammy and Tommy UK are missing. They are very special people and we are worried about them . There are, however three things I want you to consider.
1. Tammy and Tommy are God’s Children and wherever they are God is with them. God will not, has not abandoned them. I feel certain that even as I stand in this pulpit this morning God is moving people and events to bring them back to us.
2. We are God’s children and God has not abandoned us in our fears. When Paul wrote the letter we read a part of today about being new creations terrible things were happening around him. Christians were being arrested. Some Christians were killed. It was a dark time. But Paul didn’t lose sight of the loving God who changes us and makes us new. He could write beautiful words about joy and the love of God because he knew God was at work even though it didn’t always look like it.
3. We are not helpless. This afternoon there will be a prayer service here at Last Lutheran. It will be for anyone in the community that wants to come. We can petition God to bring them back to us. We can open ourselves to be instruments through which God can carry out those prayers.
Remember you are a new creation in Christ. Don’t let the world rob you of your joy.

Wrap UP
Despite the fact that it was a rough breathing day it was a good day. The Church service was great. We had a puppet sermon, and a Baptism. Pastor Steve preached a very good sermon. I updated the Church website. Betty took some pictures of our plants. I visited all the blogs that left comments yesterday.
Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
*****************************************************

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I look forward to these Sunday Sermons more and more as they give me something to really think about and experience something new. Mahalo for these. I am appreciating them more as well

1:15 AM  
Blogger anthonynorth said...

People may be free to call you some kind of nut, but in doing so they imprison themselves. As for me, I respect anyone with a peace loving belief. It's the ones without a belief that worry me - they only have themselves.

1:18 AM  
Anonymous quilly said...

I know that joy and I wish everyone else in the world could experience it, too! To me the world was a dark and scary place. I couldn't see a purpose or a future. I won't tell you I was suicidal, but I certainly had no interest in living (depression), and then God gathered me up in his arms and filled me with light and love and joy! I am all new, and those dark, frightening places inside me are no more.

1:41 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Now THAT preaches!!! It's sO true! I have that joy - and I wouldn't give it up for ANYthing! And I truly DO wish everyone would accept it... they just don't know what they're missing!

A prayer service is JUST what the people of Pigeon Falls need right now! I will be there with them!

4:37 AM  
Blogger Lou said...

I love the Corinthians quote, I used to have it on my blog.
The feeling of being new, the clean slate, the do over..what a blessing from God. Who else accepts you like that--with never a word about the past.

As Thom said, I also greatly enjoy these mini sermons. Keep it up for your fans near and far!

5:03 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

"When I read those words I want to throw confetti and blow horns." For sure!!

6:09 AM  
Blogger Baron's Life said...

How very deep...I like this thought provoking, soul searching sermon..Thanks Doc.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

I love your joy!

12:14 PM  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

The best part of your blog is what you publish on Sundays!

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Alice Audrey said...

They held still long enough for you to take the picture? Lucky schmuck.

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Barbara H. said...

Wonderful sermon! Makes me want to do the happiest of happy dances -- if I was coordinated enough to do so. :-) What joy to contemplate the newness He has wrought in those who accept Him. I wish a;; my family and friends experienced it.

3:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The speaker at Baccalaureate said yesterday that God is a giver of 2nd chances and do-overs.

Thanks for the sermon, Dr. John. We had music appreciation Sunday here so we detoured away from the liturgy. The sermon here was on Romans 12:1-2 and Philippians 2:5-11 (or maybe more...my memory might be faulty). We were blessed by some wonderful music. People who had never heard the praise band before were happily surprised, and the leader of the praise band was blown away by the choir. It was good.

I'm looking forward to your continuing the story of "James."

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home