Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Clearing the Virtual Desk

Today's Link
Lew's pics

Today's Saying
Some persons are very decisive when it comes to avoiding decisions. ~Brendan Francis

Today's Picture

Every once in a great while I feel a need to clear the junk from my virtual desk.
Stuff accumulates you know.
Right now there is a pile of three words that I have to sweep into the virtual waste basket.
I was going to do this really clever blog based on the things you have to type in on some blogs to leave a comment.
I was going to take the next three things and pretend they were words.
Then I would ask you to make up a definition for each word and we would pick the best definitions.
I was even thinking of giving a priceless prize for the one we choose.
So what went wrong you ask.
Well here are the three words:
Acing —– Rache —— Gumpings
They all turned out to be real words.
I looked them up in Google.

Acing– To earn a high grade as “ He was known for acing his tests.”
Rache comes to us out of the German Wraka and means revenge. “ The rache of the escaped criminal was swift and brutal”.
Gumpings– To put somebody new into a famous movie scene for some other purpose such as a commercial. “But this Gene Kelley gumping is out of this world. “
Now what are the chances of all three things being real words.
So I gave up on the idea and now I can clear them off my desk.

The one other pile on the desk are a bunch of questions about people who use linksy.
They want people to read and comment on their blog but often they don’t bother to do the same.
Is this fair?
Is it right?
Or is it a kind of cheating?
Well that is off my chest and into the virtual waste basket.
Now my virtual desk is all cleaned off.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal
Eino heard from his friend at Homeland Security and the fingerprints turned out to be Petrovich’s. That should be no surprise. He prepared each one and he wasn’t wearing gloves. Our intruder must have been.
Another surprise came this morning they looked at the video recorded over night. Starting at 10:00 the tape has one u-tube comedy after another instead of the white rabbit pictures it was supposed to have. Eino has no idea how this happened. In fact he didn’t even think it was possible but there it is. Even stranger nothing in the museum is out of place or looked like it was touched and the camera is working fine this morning.
The engineer on the late night train swears he saw the white rabbit at Gordon’s Crossing again last night. And again it waved and winked as he went by. To be honest nobody else on the train saw it. But it was very dark and the light from the engine was in front of the train not on the sides.
Tommy UK and Tammy are planning to go out to Gordon’s Crossing after school. They hope there might be some tracks in the new snow that came down yesterday.


Wrap UP
Just a quick note following the first comment. Wraka is an old German word not likely to be found in modern dictionaries much like many of Quilly's old words aren't found in modern dictionaries. Rache, on the other hand, is one of those words that came from a foreign language directly into English usage. Blame the American Germans.It was a good day today. I visited every blog on my friend's list. That took a long time.My sister Dawn called. Betty and Pennie and I went to the evening church service. The fcllowship was great. The special offering went to the woman's shelter and the director gave a five minute talk. The skit was very well done. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
*********************************************

20 Comments:

Blogger Gattina said...

I am the first today, lol!
The word Wraka doesn't exist in German I looked in my dictionary but revenge means Rache.

4:21 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

There! Don'tcha feel all better now with all that rubbish off your desk!?

Ah! Well of course the prints belonged to Petrovich... makes perfect sense! That is very strange with the video... Hopefully Tommy and Tammy will come up with something! Always amazes me how those two teenagers can find stuff the trained professionals miss!

6:47 AM  
Blogger Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Can you come over and clean my desk?

6:50 AM  
Blogger Lew said...

Thanks for linking to my post. Interesting stuff in your fortress! I also found those "words" quirky and now and then post my version of their meaning. You have reminded me that its about time to post the 5-th edition. (This post word is ingranc "a concerto written using only the note "C".

7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now someone is going to have to empty the rubbish can :) But that is much easier as you have already decided what is rubbish and what isn't. It's just one toss and empty.

Let's hope the Engineer wasn't drinking anything :)

7:55 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Can you come clean my desk too?

7:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Now that you've cleaned off the stuff from your virtual desk, can you virtually dust it?

8:43 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

it's quite amazing how many words actually exist without most people knowing about them
nice to have a desk cleaned now and again

11:32 AM  
Blogger david mcmahon said...

Thanks for the comment on my basilica post.

Like you, I've always been interested in words!

11:35 AM  
Blogger walk2write said...

I found your site by following a thread. It's led me to a pretty special place you have here. Isn't Rache the nickname for that darling of daytime television shows? The queen of indispensable cooking advice blended with comic antics?

11:44 AM  
Blogger aims said...

I hate having a mess on my virtual desktop. It irks me no end. Same as in my email box. Deleting is one of my favorite things!

Now - what is that white rabbit up to?

11:48 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Congratulation Dr John you were able to clear up some of the Virtual Trash, before I can get rid of the Virtual Rubbish I got to get rid of the real rubbish on my Computer Desk and desk my printer and scanner are on. I think there are things there from last summer.

My apartment surly wouldn't pass the Suzie Homemaker Seal of Approval, I think Suzie would be running the other way.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Carver said...

I need to do a virtual clean up but mine won't be much fun. I need to deal with work files and that would be, well, work.

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm playing Scrabble Wordwide (TM) at the moment and you'd be amazed at the words that are 'real' words - and also the real words that are 'not' words ... My brain hurts!

LOL!

1:46 PM  
Blogger butterflies said...

Great words..we use the word acing quite a bit here.
"Youve just been aced! Or Im acing you!"
Hope the lovely sun comes out for you soon Dr John.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Jientje said...

Sometimes clearing stuff out of the way can be such a relief!

3:53 PM  
Blogger Cherie said...

I just spent a couple of hours clearing off my physical desk, and I feel SO much better! :)

3:56 PM  
Blogger tsduff said...

I think it IS cheating. And, I wish my desk(s) (any of them) were as clean as yours.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Carletta said...

Acing I knew - that's about the only word I've known on your blog lately. :)
I wish I had only words to clean from my desk.

5:46 PM  
Blogger Finding Pam said...

Instead of running the roads yesterday, I should have been cleaning my desk. It is an awful mess. Cluttered house equals clutterd mind and mine is so cluttered. Guess that is why I make no sense? Ha Ha

5:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home