Friday, December 26, 2008

The Night of Christmas

Today's Link
Confessions of a Sometimes Serendipitous Girl


Saying for the Day
Things ain't what they used to be and probably never was. ~Will Rogers

Picture of the Day
St. Mark's Christmas Tree

Twas the Night of Christmas ( by Dr. John -more or less)

Twas the night of Christmas and All through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse

The stockings were flung by the wall without care
The loot that was in them , no longer there

The children were sleeping all snug on the floor
Having played with their legos, Barbies and more

And I in my ice pack and ma in her wrap
Had just settled down for a short little nap.

When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I crawled from the couch to see what was the matter.

The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow
Gave the lustre of mid-day to objects below,

When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a miniature sleigh, and eight tiny reindeer,

They hung in space not moving a lick
Held in the hand of our neighbor old Nick

He was screaming and hollering and calling by name
The reindeer of Santa thinking he was the same

Now Happy! now, Dopey! now Rudolph and Pixen,
On Cupid! on Sneezy! on Dunder and Bitsun!

So up to the house top the sleigh he threw
Then opened my door and came in too.

He was dressed all in red from his head to his foot
And his boots were covered with ashes and soot.

A bag of garbage he had flung on his back
He looked like a shopper opening his sack.

His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!
And the beard on his chin had pieces of berry

He was perfectly soused a right jolly old elf
And I laughed when I saw him in spite of myself

But the pain that was growing so large in my head
Demanded that I go quickly to bed

So laying a finger aside of my nose
And giving a push out the door he goes.

But I heard him exclaim as he staggered from sight
Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal.
Pigeon Falls celebrated a very nice quiet Christmas.
Not many people attended the 10:00 service at Last Lutheran. It seems everybody went on Christmas Eve and Lutherans almost never go to Church two days in a row.
Tommy UK gave Tammy a beautiful necklace for Christmas. He had his uncle in Iron Mountain get it for him while he was busy trying to save the town. Tammy, who doesn’t have an uncle in Iron Mountain failed to get him a gift at all. She feels bad and even a little guilty. But Tommy UK doesn’t mind. He is in love.
The Petrovich’s went to Green Bay for Christmas. Her parents are there and they just love the two grand kids. And they wanted to celebrate Christmas in a Russian Orthodox Church. They will be in Green Bay until after New Year’s Day so there will be no troubling driblets at least until then.
Herman hasn’t had a drink since saving the town and he went to church both Christmas Eve and on Christmas day.
The ghost piano continues to play selections from the Nutcracker and played all day on Christmas.
Nancy has turned over her coffee shop to her assistant and she and Tommy TW are going to Marquette for three days of skiing at Marquette Mountain, his gift to her.
Yep! Life is back to normal.

Wrap Up
Didn't do much today as there was a NCIS marathon on TV. Aside from watching that I did some reading and some blogging. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
**********************************************************

17 Comments:

Blogger Catch said...

loved the Santa poem!! Hope your Christmas was wonderful!

4:55 AM  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

Very funny poem!

I believe that is a Chrismon tree, Dr. John.

Hope your Christmas was merry and bright and that your 2009 will be happy and healthy.

5:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Also loved the poem...loved the whole post.

I am so glad that things are happy and bright in Pigeon Falls. It makes my heart smile.

Love ya, Dr. John.

Marlene

5:57 AM  
Blogger Gattina said...

I like this Christmas tree it is not so overloaded with decorations !
We had a very nice Christmas eve in Amsterdam (Holland) together with our son "DIL" and her parents.
What touched me the most was that on Christmas day our son has invited 14 of his American and British (he works for a British/American publicity company)collegues and friends who cannot go home for Christmas and would have been all alone. I found that a real nice gesture. And apparently they had a lot of fun ! That made me proud !

6:00 AM  
Blogger B.R.L said...

MY brother heard bells,footsteps and a yip yip On christmas eve night he know santa was here! He has good hearing

6:38 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Man! I'm glad I wasn't at YOUR house last night! Things were calm here... almost too calm!

Do you think Herman is a changed man? Wow! I wonder...

6:58 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

nice poem....

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad there is peace in Pigeon Falls. I am feeling too mellow and good to spoil it with stress -- too bad I have to go to work. OC got me the final novel in the Inkworld series and I want to READ!

9:40 AM  
Blogger Finding Pam said...

I love your Crismon tree. The ornaments are so special. Just as it should be. Did Betty make them?

The poem was too cute.

I am thankful that Pigeon Falls is safe and back to normal for now. Pigeon Falls looks like a lovely town and I hope that it always stays that way. Do you keep it set up year round? Neat.

May you and Betty be blessed with good health and lots of love in the New year.

Blessings.

9:56 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

lovely poem.

and sometimes it's nice to just take a deep breath and relax...

10:06 AM  
Blogger Hilary said...

I hope yours was wonderful. :)

10:59 AM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

Oh I love the poem! Did you write it?

11:23 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Fun Poem Dr John, I hope you and Betty and the Family had a Blessed Christmas.

PS, I've changed again, check out the blog when you have a chance.

11:35 AM  
Blogger bettygram said...

The Chrismon tree was in the church at United Lutheran in crystal Falls. The ladies at the church made them and I did some.

betty

7:30 PM  
Blogger bettygram said...

I am wrong that was not the tree from United but from St Marks in Neenah and I had nothing to do with making the chrismons. I just went to the web site and there was that tree.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

Your santa poem is cute.
Hope you had a very special Christmas Dr. John.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Finding Pam said...

Betty, makes no difference if you made them or not b ecause the tree is just beautiful and you decorate it, so you do have a part in the tree. Just lovely.

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home