Saturday, August 02, 2008

Do you Know ME?

Link of the Day
The Owl's Kitchen

Saying for the Day:
There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want. ~Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes

Picture of the Day:

The Days Wrap UP :
Well that was fast. Somebody who never left a comment before has picked the right answer. The entire blog couldn't have been up more than ten minutes. I just can't run contests. Well pick one anyway then check the comments for the right answer. It's the first comment. Darn, I made it too easy. Melli I wish but it was a Marx. Janvangogh the next time I have coffee with Tommy UK's dad I'll ask about his brother, Tommy's uncle
Pennie, Betty and I went out for lunch to Red Robyn. Great hamburgers but far too big for me. I brought half of one home. In the afternoon we played three handed canasta. There was Pennie, Betty, and, of course, me. I was ahead for the entire game. Once by over a thousand points. But on the last hand Betty passed me and won. Some days you can't get any luck. Two of my sister's grandsons who were involved in some kind of scavenger hunt called to ask what my dogs name was when I was a kid. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
************************
News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. Pigeon Falls Days began yesterday..
Mrs. Trumble announced this morning that after talking to Dr. Fortress she has decided to add potato sculpting to the list of Pigeon Day events. It will cost $2.00 to enter. Each entrant will be given a large potato and a sharp knife ( no special tools allowed). Contest to take place August 9th from 10:00 to 12:00. Winner will receive a gift certificate for $25,00 and his sculpture will automatically be entered in the county fair.
Petrovich , who is back from Green Bay, announced that in honor of Pigeon Falls Days he is going to translate a driblet that may have something to do with the early history of the town.
Aili Sorry , the town’s defacto historian, says that she has been reading old issues of the “Bird Seed” and discovered that from 1900 until around 1930 there were numerous sightings of a large white rabbit wearing a sweater. The sweater was not always the same color but was reported as being pink, green, and blue. The sightings were almost all along the railroad tracks. Then in 1930 the sightings suddenly stopped. She can’t find any reason in the paper for the sightings to have ended. They just did. It could be that the new editor who took control in April of 1930 thought they were so much foolishness and refused to print them . But there is no editorial; to that effect.

****************

Are you a frequent reader of this log?
Well here are fifteen facts about me . Fourteen are lies ( told by an evil elf)
One is the truth.
The first one to pick out the truth and post it in a comment gets a priceless prize.
Good luck.

1. In high school I lettered in wrestling and football.

2. I played with dolls as a kid.

3. I coached wrestling for the Ewen High School.

4. My very first electric train was a Lionel.

5. I would like to visit Cornwall before I die.

6. My grandfather John came from Cornwall England.

7. I was born in Negaunee Michigan but not in a log cabin.

8. Every morning I drink a glass of orange juice.

9. My favorite color is red.

10. My record is fifty one push ups. ( I was twenty one at the time)

11. I worked as a deck hand on a cruise ship.

12. I have a Master’s degree with a major in languages from northern Michigan University.

13. I taught mathematics at the University of Chicago

14. My childhood dog was named BoBo.

15. I never skipped school not even once .

This is too easy. But good luck.


15 Comments:

Blogger KathyB. said...

ummmm.....you played with dolls as a kid ? KathyB.

4:02 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

BOY is that quote of the day ON THE MONEY!!!

The White Rabbit's been around since 1930?! What is the life expectancy of Giant White Rabbits? I'm off to Google this!

I bet your FIRST train was a Lionel! Isn't that where everyone starts?

4:49 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

I'm sure you (probably) played with dolls as a kid. My boys wanted dolls because their sisters had them. It didn't last long, but they all played with dolls.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I would had guessed never skipping school. You're so imaginative that I can see you tiptoeing through the tulips and exploring new things to be found on your way to school.

Possibly never even getting there.

I did that once. Kindergarten. Eventually I realized that I was really, really late and that there was big trouble ahead for me.

If I went, they would call my Mom and tell her. If I didn't go to school and simply waited for the other kids to walk by after school - there was a better chance nobody would ever know at all.

It seemed to work out just wonderfully, skipping school. Until later that evening when a neighbor called to tell my mother that her tulips in her garden were all frazzled. Seems a little ponytailed blond girlie was dancing in them all morning long.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

If it makes you feel any better that was the only easy one and by eliminating it, I would have picked teaching math.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

How old is Tommy UK's eccentric uncle? We never found out why his parents are hesitant to let Tommy visit him.

7:32 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

i would have gone for the dolls, too, although some other facts were very credible as well.

11:39 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

With so much nothing to do
seems I barely have time to do anything

4:07 PM  
Blogger butterflies said...

Lovely rose pic..
have a great weekend

9:16 PM  
Blogger KathyB. said...

Dr. John, why thank-you ! I really DO get a prize ? I must say I agree with Juliana, the other 'facts' did seem credible !

I found your blog through Josies'blog.What an imagination...although maybe not, maybe you really do have a thriving kingdom at home...how fun !Dragons...

KathyB.tvmmy

9:31 PM  
Blogger KathyB. said...

Oh dear Dr.John, my friend Lanny found your blog through my blog and now we BOTH have even another distraction and opportunity to be busy doing nothing ! ( Lanny's blog , its the dirt ) KathyB.

9:41 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

I will never win this contest for they always sound like all truths that could all be lies if you get what I mean.

11:47 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

A MARX! Really? Wow! I'da swore Lionel...

6:28 AM  
Blogger Alastair said...

Ì'm way too late to pick the fact - as it's already been done, but if you have any thoughts of ever visiting Cornwall, come via Devon first...

8:56 AM  
Blogger tsduff said...

Awe shucks... I was going to pick the train answer. Silly me.

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home