Saturday, July 26, 2008

More Usless Facts?

Saying for the day: Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold. ~Leo Tolstoy

The internet is just filled with cool “ facts”.
You can use them to astonish your friends.
So every Saturday I bring you fifteen more “internet facts”.
One is a “true fact”. That is I have verified it.
The other fourteen I made up this morning.
Can you spot the “ true fact”
Last week it was too easy as almost everybody got the fact that parts of the Bible have been translated into Klingon which was number 8.
Here are todays facts:

1. There are thirty five towns named Church in the United States.

2. The oldest town named Church is in Maine.

3. Church, Idaho was named after Walter Church who was an atheist.

4.. The only state with two towns named Church is Alaska.

5. It is against federal law for a state to have more than one town with the same name.

6. Liberal , South Dakota is just across the border from Conservative, Nebraska.

7. There are two American towns named Stress.

8. Stress, Wyoming was named after the Stress Deadbolt Company . Its biggest employer.

9. Roughouse, Nevada got its name from the days of drunken gold miners.

10. Ishpeming, Michigan is an Indian name meaning “ Where birds fly”.

11. Nowhere, Michigan is not far from Hell.

12. Yard , Texas was so named because of a customer’s request for a yard of cloth in a local store.

13. The town of Carp Creek, Texas is not near any creeks or rivers.

14. There are thirty seven American towns named Paradise but only one named Hell.

15. Crackers, Ohio was named for the fireworks plant and not the food.

There they are fifteen internet facts. You can now tell them to your friends and say you saw it on the internet. One is for sure true . The others could be because I make up great stuff. Put your guess as to the correct one in the comments. Answer tomorrow if I remember.

News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. Some one suggested the Pigeon Falls dragons feel neglected as the crowds to view them have dwindled in the past few days. So last night they put on a a performance that will make all those who missed it sorry. It started with the smallest of the young dragons flying higher than usual. Then breathing fire it tumbled toward the earth making rings of fire in the sky. It pulled out of its dive just before crashing into main street. One spectator said it reminded him of a passenger pigeon. This was followed by the other young dragon doing the same thing. Then they went back to the end of the street , flew high and did the tumbling together. It was unbelievable.
Everyone coming into Nancy’s today was talking about it. The few that saw it were telling how fantastic it was and the rest were wishing they had been there. With every telling the dragons went higher and the turns got fancier. There is nothing like a good story , told and retold, to grow on its own. One lady said that she heard that they almost set the Masonic Building on fire. Which, of course, is just not true.
Buddy East announced that the winner or winners of the Liar’s Club writers contest would be announced on Tuesday. By then he should have the plaque done. He does want to thank all the writers and all of this years judges .
Tommy UK and Tammy are still not speaking. This White Rabbit business is putting a real strain on their friendship.
Tommy UK’s uncle says that the State Police ended up with the same result on the fingerprint of the FBI man as Eino got on the Passport fingerprint. They were told the information was highly classified.
*******

Today's Link-The Squamata Report-
In the morning I made another loaf of banana bread. It turned out very well. I almost have the recipe down just a little more fine tuning. In the afternoon I worked on the plaque for the winner of the writer's contest. Betty and Pennie went to Barnes and Noble and got some books. I visited all my links. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
Some Time Ago in Crystal

  • 12 Comments:

    Blogger LoieJ said...

    I was amazed that the train set up pictures changed, especially considering that I'm on slow dial up on an ancient computer. True or False: I live near a town of just about 600 where there is actually a shop with a train set up and lots of goodies to buy for train enthusiasts.

    Oh yeah, I'm picking #14.

    4:45 AM  
    Blogger Janets Planet said...

    How are Tommy UK and Tammy ever going to get anything solved if they dont speak?

    6:08 AM  
    Blogger Dawn said...

    Thanks for stopping by and visiting - I love having new people show up at my site, and always wonder how they find me.

    I love your "facts" and haven't a clue which one is true. The fact that you an make up such interesting "facts" is an amazement to me.

    My husband spent a lot of his youth in Wisconsin, and Neenah sounds like someplace we've been through on our travels. His grandma's place was in Fence. He had family in Stevens Point. His dad pastored in Beloit, and his last pastorate was in Stockholm. I'm from Minnesota orginally.

    I'm glad you enjoyed the story of Uncle Buddy. He is legendary status in our denomination. Come back any time!

    6:43 AM  
    Blogger Melli said...

    Oh my goodness! You really had fun making up facts this week, didn't you?! Sheeeeeesh! You made it hard! But I think I'm going to go with #11 - because I know there IS a Hell, MI... a friend of mine lives not too far from there... so I'm betting Nowhere probably is there too!

    Now... I'll give YOU a fact! There are many many many towns named Huntington in the U.S. -- but only ONE Huntingtown! *nods*

    Ohhhhhhh! I am one of those that is sO sorry to have missed those dragons! I just knew I shoulda been in Pigeon Falls last night! But there is just too much secret agent DRAMA going on! And I don't want to get caught up between Tammy and Tommy either.... I suppose I could just go over to Petrovhich's place and help out with the twins...

    6:43 AM  
    Blogger Voegtli said...

    This time I have not the slighest idea about the possible correct answer. And I have to excuses, a good one and a less good one:

    The good one: I am not so familiar about US geography.

    The less good one: I think I am really getting old.

    8:25 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Isn't Ishpeming..that I cannot spell in Wisconsin? I guess I could look that up.

    8:28 AM  
    Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

    Dr John ~ I have no idea what the correct answer is, but if I was a betting Man I'd have to say #9. Watching the old Western Films and Television Shows from the 1960's (Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Rawhide, etc) this sounds like it.

    A Blessed Weekend is wished for you and Betty.

    Thank you again for all the kind thoughts and prayers and encouragement you offered.

    I am truly Grateful.

    9:51 AM  
    Blogger Dragonstar said...

    In an "English" part of Wales, not very far from where I used to live, there's a village called Stepaside near one called Red Roses. I always loved those names.

    12:31 PM  
    Blogger juliana said...

    you are just amazing at inventing these facts... not the slightest idea which one could be true this time...

    12:53 PM  
    Blogger QUASAR9 said...

    I'll go along with that
    Now where is the Ariel

    2:32 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love these facts. Personally, I think the Michigan is an Indian word for 'hell' but what do I know!? ;)

    I need to stop by more as I've missed you.

    3:08 PM  
    Blogger dmarks said...

    I venture that #14 is true since I have been to the one and only Hell.

    Claudia: and it is in Michigan, too.

    5:53 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home