Friday, August 01, 2008

Things Change!

Link of the Day
Pub Philosopher

Saying for the Day:
If you're in a bad situation, don't worry it'll change. If you're in a good situation, don't worry it'll change. ~John A. Simone, Sr.

Picture of the Day:

The Days Wrap UP :
Got up early this morning and made all the changes to the blog. Then I celebrated by opening a can of Zero Coca'Cola.( I know pop in the morning but this was a celebration).Tried my new bread for breakfast. The taste was great. Janvangogh wonders why there are no driblets on the coming of the pigeons. There may be but Petrovich is only translating the one's that seem to have something to do with Pigeon Falls today. Betty and I went to the Post Office to mail a package to my little sister and one to Quilly. Then despite my fears that we would be late for my soaps she did a tour of Neenah's lakefront. We saw mansions and yachts . Just a note to Melli- the Methodists thanked God but those Lutherans thanked the pigeons ( there were more Lutherans). I certainly will talk to Mrs. Trumble about a pigeon sculpting contest. Got an e-mail from St. Mark's so I brought the website up to date with this coming Sunday's bulletin. I read a couple of chapters. Then I visited all my favorite blogs and left comments on many. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
************************
AS you can see change has come to my humble blog.
The old has become new.
There is a new logo. No picture of a real Finnish Fortress ( Linna) but a Fortress with dragons and a knight.
That’s a change.
It could have been worse.
Here is a logo I considered.
And Another
And Still Another



But in the end it was back to the Fortress.
Other changes:
1. The picture of three stupid looking me’s has been replaced with one stupider looking me.
2. My awards are out of the closet and displayed at the bottom of the left hand column.
3. A picture of the day at the top of the blog.
4. The link of the day moved from the end to the beginning.
5. My summation of the day is now at the beginning and will be updated during the day.
6. Sometimes News from Pigeon Falls will come before my deep philosophical thoughts.
7. Only the Monday for me will remain constant. Elf tales may show up on days other than Thursday and my true fact list on days rather than Saturday.
8. Book I'm reading added to left hand column . Click on it for information on the book.
All of this and I hate change.
Could it be my evil twin has taken over my blog?

News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. Pigeon Falls Days began today. At exactly 9:00 Vicki East sang the Pigeon Falls Song. If you have never heard or seen it here it is:

When the Pigeons return to Pigeon falls- coo coo coo
And we hear them cooing in the wood-coo coo coo
Then the trains will run on time-coo coo coo
Things will be the way they should-coo coo coo
When the Pigeons return to Pigeon Falls-coo coo coo
And we hear them cooing in the wood-coo coo coo
People will be singing in the streets-coo coo coo
And all the crops will grow so good- coo coo coo
When the pigeons return to Pigeon Falls- coo coo coo
Then love again will fill the land- coo coo coo
With pigeons cooing in the wood- coo coo coo
We will all walk hand in hand.- coo coo coo

This was followed by the Offical Proclamation from the Town Council read by Mayor Trumble
. It read as follows.
…..In as much as Pigeon Falls exists because of the good deeds of pigeons;
…..And in as much as it is good to remember how we came to be;
…..And in as much as the good deed happened in the month of August;
Therefore let us;
…...1. Set aside the month of August to be celebrated as Pigeon Days.
…...2. Set August 23 as the day for the annual Pigeon Days parade.
…...3. Be extra considerate of pigeons for the entire month.
…...4. Pick a Pigeon Queen –
…...5. Learn the Pigeon story and be sure to tell it to all the tourists.
…...6. Invite relatives and friends to visit Pigeon Falls during this period.

Then Mayor Trumble read the Pigeon Falls Story
..The Pigeon Story
In the beginning Pigeon Falls was called Potato Grove , since it was the potato crop that sustained the village. It provided both food to eat and food to sell. Farmers from Finland and Sweden had settled here and after moving tons of rocks began growing potatoes. For a few years everything went well. Then without warning a strange new bug appeared. No one knew where it came from but it attacked the potato plants with a vengeance. Pastor Helve Tillinen said it was God’s vengeance because the farmers were such bad givers and didn’t go to church much. He predicted the end of Potato Grove. The Pastor at the Methodist Church , Justin Cooper, said God wasn’t like that but urged people to pray for divine intervention. Just when things were at their darkest a the huge flock of pigeons swooped in and ate all the bugs, every last one of them. The crop was saved and the farmers decided that as a way of thanking the pigeons they would change the town’s name to Pigeon Falls and refrain from eating them. They also decided to raise money for a big pigeon statue to stand at the edge of town as a constant reminder of what the pigeons had done.. And so we continue to celebrate the start of Pigeon Falls.. This is the official story as it is engraved on the Pigeon Statue on main street.

********

16 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Hey, how come Grengicoff's driblets never talk about the city of potatoes? I would think that he certainly could have seen the coming of the bugs --- especially since they were strange and new.

5:27 AM  
Blogger tsduff said...

Those pigeons sound a lot like chickens - my heros! I wonder what it would be like to be chosen Pigeon Queen?

Love your changes to the blog, especially the picture and link of the day at the top. This is one of my favorite blogs to visit - thanks and happy August to you!

6:01 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

How nice to hear the pigeon story.

I like your new blog-look.

Have a really good month!

7:40 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

OH! The fortress has been revamped! I like it! But GOODNESS - alllll of these OTHER changes? Are YOU having a mid-life crisis??? (I sure HOPE so!)

... so now I'm just wondering... surely at least the Methodists WERE praying for divine intervention ... but no mention is made of thanking GOD for the Pigeons!? Did anyone ever thank God for the Pigeons? Sounds like only the Pigeons were thank'd ... and revered... and adored. You know... the pigeons MIGHT be responsible for missing white rabbits... I'm just sayin'!

8:03 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like you have been busy...Nice look to the "new" blog.

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melli has a point.

And, it is indeed looking spiffy around here! I'm looking forward to another season of great tales!

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Normally I hate change but this looks good. I knew you were wild crazy but zero coke in the morning...WOW!

9:50 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

I think the residents of Pigeon Falls should grab that piece of history regarding the potatoes from Petrovich and incorporate it in their festival by having a pidgeon sculpting contest out of potatoes.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Change is always good. The new look is fantastic, and I like the choice of Logo at the top of the blog.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

A change is as good as a rest. I change my blog all the time - as you may have noticed. *sigh*

Please just don't get rid of the elf tales. I LOVE the elf tales. :-)

1:17 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Change is good! I believe it firmly. Just ask my family who never know where the furniture's going to be on any given day.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Family Man said...

Love the new look Dr. J. Change can be a wonderful thing when used correctly.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

*shakin' my head*... I'm afraid to ask which synod... No! Don't tell me... I don't want to know! I'm determined to be a new-age Lutheran who accepts all synods equally!

5:12 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Goodness me, we old folk don't like change you know. Just kidding, looks great, just need a map!

5:58 PM  
Blogger MedStudentWife said...

I like the changes... just my own personal reflection on what I read in your posts & get the most out of

But I did like Castle Linna *lol*

If I was good at these picture thingies... I'd try to superimpose dragons flying around the old castle... but I'm not that good :(

8:08 PM  
Blogger VioletSky said...

Nice changes you've made. The new look logo is a good choice.

4:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home