Saturday, December 01, 2007

Post 1001

Saying for the day-Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save. Will Rogers

This is the first of the blogs that will lead to my 2000th blog entry.
It will set the tone for the next 999.
Therefore I wanted it to be

1. Deeply philosophical and yet practical

2. Full of surprise twists and turns.

3. Inspirational ( I am after all a Pastor)

4. Clever and cute

5. One that will be remembered for a long time

6. One that demonstrates my fantastic ability to use the English language.

That’s what I wanted.
But then in life I always wanted to drive a Cadillac but ended up with a Ford.
I wanted to be thin but was fat.
I wanted a dozen kids but settled for three.
I wanted to visit Finland but it never happened.
So I got up this morning and I sat down to write this blog and I knew right away it was another case of not getting what I wanted.
I had not one single idea that would have lead to that perfect blog.
In fact I didn’t even have an idea for that imperfect blog.
But I needed to fill the space so this is what you get.
The good news is I have 999 more tries to write the perfect blog before I reach 2000.
I can do it.
I think I can do it.
It is possible I could do it.
I don’t know if I can take the pressure.
999 more mornings like this and they will come with the white coat and take me away.
Do they let you blog in a psychiatric hospital?

#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. The football banquet is tonight at the consolidated school ( it was postponed until now when the coach resigned). The New Potatoes team will get their letters and hear speeches about how important high school sports are in moral development. But what kind of celebration can you really have for a team that lost every game ? There won’t be much joy in the room. Not that the kids didn’t play hard because they did. They did everything the coach told them but he wasn’t a very good coach. Tonight he will be ignored. He won’t be at the banquet. The season and the community were very hard on him. He has decided never to coach again. He is sorry the school forced him into it in the first place. It promises to be a gloomy celebration.
Now the search is on for a new coach. All the teachers have turned down every offer the school Board has made. They said it wasn’t worth the pain of coaching in a small town. Perhaps they could get one of those experts from the Fly Inn bar to be the coach. They always seemed to know what the coach should have done. The problem is that somebody from the community has to meet the state requirements for a teacher and most of the guys at the Fly Inn were lucky to get out of high school.
Without a coach the consolidated school principal will have to hand out the letters and make at least one of the speeches . One wonders if they can force her to coach next year. That would be different but then in Pigeon Falls everything is possible.
*****

Today's Link- Internet Time Blog- An encounter with a telemarketer .

We held the drawing this morning and the winner of the Priceless prize is




Jill

There were eleven names in the drawing. All the names of the people who commented yesterday. In addition to winning . Jill was the seventh person to comment. Does that denote luck or what.

Congratulations Jill. Do you want the Cardinal statue or what's behind a door. If a door which one ( one or two).?
A nice day. It snowed all day so I didn't go out. Early the animated ski hill I ordered on eBay came and we unpacked it. It is perfect for the layout.Betty and Pennie went shopping and I went blogging. In the afternoon I worked in the basement putting HO train cars together to sell on eBay. At least I hope they will sell. Betty is getting ready to put up the tree. When it's up I will post a picture . Perhaps even a video. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

10 Comments:

Blogger J C said...

Did you say 2,000 posts, as in THOUSAND????? Oh my, I'll never blog that much. I don't have that many years left. Good luck getting there.

Have you noticed, Dr. John, in your blogging visits, that a lot of people are feeling sad this season? That there is not holiday spirit everywhere?

5:13 AM  
Blogger Alastair said...

As always, the post was as perfect as it needs to be! Thanks Dr John and here's to the next 999

7:46 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

You're blogging would be just as wonderful and inspiring even if you only left a *grunt* one day and nothing more. =O)

8:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, Dr. John. So, 7 is my lucky number? I was admiring the cardinal. I have collected bird statues for years. I would love the cardinal. My late father-in-law loved them.Thanks again. I hope I can reach a 1000 posts. Got a way to go -not quite 500 yet.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

I thought Blogland was an insane asylum.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

It may not be perfect, but it's always creative. I love checking in every day just to see what you've come up with.

1:20 PM  
Blogger OC or Q said...

In truth, Dr. John, I think this was both an excellent and humorous sermon. May we all be as light hearted as you are when settling for "what we got" rather then getting what we wanted. And may we all (including those wannabe coaches at the Fly Inn), always realize how lucky we are not to get what we deserve!

-Quilly

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it even when you blog about not knowing what to blog about.

And there is still time for Finland!

Yer welcome to come play TGQDC if you would like. New words are up!

3:29 PM  
Blogger Alpha Dude said...

One Thousand and One?

Wow.

I just made it past 100.

You are doing well, sir. Always a good read.

Blessings.

8:47 PM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Packers always seem to have needed a sympathy story. Someone should contact them about the New Potatoes. They could lend them their coach a few times.

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home