Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Burple on and Burple over

Saying for the Day- "Words are alive. Cut them and they bleed." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

We have set as our world changing goal for this week the creation of a word to rhyme with poor , lonely, purple. Lori, Betty, and I settled on Burple.
Now we need to come up with a definition.
Yesterday I shared that task with my word wise readers and these are the possible definitions we have as of today.

Burple The act of burping after eating to many grapes

Burple. The color of a bruise as it begins to heal. Slang for abuergine.

Burple. It's the bubbly burp a baby makes when patted on the back.

BURPLE The burning burp associated with heartburn.

Burple sounds like baby spittle

Now I want you to think outside the burp and come up with other possible definitions. Friday I am suspending the usual contest and we will pick the best definition.

Burple– the act of using material from somebody else’s blog in yours without giving credit and the material used.. As in “Her blog was just one burple after another.”

But I am sure you can do better.
Give it a try.

#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. The two ACLU lawyers were in Federal Court today seeking an injunction to force Pigeon Falls to remove the religious symbols from the town Holiday tree and to remove the manger scene from public property. Of course they had on new suits, not the oil soaked one’s from yesterday. The judge took all of fifteen minutes to grant the injunction. The town of Pigeon Falls is ordered to remove all religious symbols from its tree and to remove the manger scene and to do it immediately. Failure to do so could result in large fines and even jail time for the town officers. This afternoon the lawyers will give the injunction to Mrs. Trumble and await her action. That is if they can get by the poltergeist.
Mrs. Trumble says that she will take no action until the injunction is in hand. Then the town lawyer, Fred Trumpey , has prepared a written response which will be given to the lawyers. Nobody seems to know what that response is.
People that are having coffee at Nancy’s are in no mood to give in. They have survived endless night, endless cold, common dreams, dragons, and poltergeists and they can survive this. Bob Anderson says he will visit Mrs. Trumble every day in jail.
Over at the Fly Inn they are talking about what they should do to the lawyers. Suffice it to say it makes a little oil on the suit seem nice. But then the Fly Inn people are usually all talk and no action.
Pastor Joan is calling for people to obey the law even if they don’t like it. The town can survive without the tree and the manger scene.
Will old Mrs. Trumble end up in jail? Can the lawyers get by the poltergeist to serve the injunction? Will the Fly Inn patrons behave ? Could this be the end of Pigeon Falls? What is in Fred Trumpey’s response? Can an old retired lawyer really handle this situation? And of course is Tommy UK really the undertaker’s kid?
Some of these questions will be answered tomorrow in News from Pigeon Falls.
****

Today's Link- Silliman's Blog- Because we are thinking about words a blog about poems seemed right.
I worked in the basement this morning and Betty went to Bible study. I brought up six newets of G scale cars to sell on eBay. In the afternoon Betty checked at Pennies but we can't find the skating rink. We photographed all the cars. I visited the blogs I didn't get to yesterday.I placed the cars on eBay. There were six separate entries. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

NOW, I HAVE TO PUT MY THINKING CAP ON! "Burple"????

Now, the ACLU ... in Pigeon Falls, yet??? Maybe they will meet their match there???

On my NEXT AOL blog entry, I will referrence your site.

LOIS

5:26 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

If you Google burple, you will find that it was the name of a drink that came in a collapsible container.

Next round.

Burple. The act of popping bubble wrap.

I think Pigeon Falls should send Petrovich to go confuse those ACLU lawyers with a fake driblet.

5:33 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Burple: The act of wasting time. To dwindle; to trifle; to loiter; to move about aimlessly. To act sluggish or silly. To lack progress or development.

Such as Betty's way of shopping, she can burple for hours in the craft department if you don't prod her to keep going.

I burpled away this morning trying to figure out why my internet wasn't working.

My dogs burple when they stand in front of me, won't get out of the way as they want to follow me but aren't sure which way I'm going to go.

My daughter burpled this morning in the middle of getting dressed for school, she decided that it was time to sit down and read a book.

6:57 AM  
Blogger -atomik kitten said...

I agree - burple is the color of a healing bruise...

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well before I even read your ideads I thought of the burp one (except I thought of after drinking grape soda) and I thought of the bruise one. So I did have to put my thinking cap on since you also came up with those. And I came up with:

Burple-What is sounds like a person is saying when their tongue is frozen to a pole. The person is actually trying to say (Burr...pole).

I think the bruise one is the best:)

1:27 PM  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

oh man..remember the song by roger roger miller and he rhymed purple with burple..ahh, i miss roger ...
in my little hamlet of west, by goddess, texas we wouldn't have that problem with the religious stuff..it's 1957 here and it's still ok to have jeusus in the manager and merry christmas signs..instead of happy holidays..jeesh...

4:31 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

does this mean we know have a burple beople eater?

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BURPLE n. the crease one accidentally irons into clothing when they are trying to get the wrinkles out!

6:22 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Burple: THe sound one makes when they burp while giggling

but I think using it within the blog arena is a good idea. It could be known as a one word comment on someone's blog. "I left a burple on all the blogs I visited today" (Haven't we all done that?)

8:08 PM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

I like your saying for today. Will be back for the definition.

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home