Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Fast Forward from Ralph 20

Saying for the Day: An idea shared is never lost.

It’s Wednesday and I share with you one of the E-mails that my friend Ralph forwarded to me.

Ralph Valine wrote:
Just some cool tricks...Hope they work?
USEFUL INFORMATION

A sealed envelope - Put in the freezer for a few hours, then slide a knife under the flap. The envelope can then
Be resealed. (hmmmmmm...)
============ ========= ========= ========= =====
Use empty toilet paper roll to store appliance cords. It keeps them neat and you can write on the roll what
Appliance it belongs to.
============ ========= ========= ========= =====
For icy door steps in freezing temperatures: Get warm water and put Dawn dish washing liquid in it. Pour it
All over the steps. They won't refreeze.
============ ========= ========= ========= =====
To remove old wax from a glass candle holder - Put it in the freezer
For a few hours. Then take the candle
Holder out and turn it upside down. The wax will fall out.
============ ========= ========= ========= =====
Crayon marks on walls? This works wonderfully! Use a damp rag ,

Dipped in baking soda. Comes off with little effort (elbow grease, that is!).
============ ========= ========= ========= =====
Permanent marker on appliances/counter tops (like store receipt BLUE!) - Put rubbing alcohol on paper towel.
============ ========= ========= ========= ======
Whenever you purchase a box of S.O.S *Steel wool pads, immediately take a p air of scissors and cut each pad into half.
It is more economical. A box of S.O.S pads will last indefinitely! In
Fact, the scissors get "sharpened'' that way!
============ ========= ========= ========= ======
Blood stains on clothes? Not to worry! Just pour a
Little hydrogen peroxide on a cloth and proceed to wipe off
Every drop of blood. Works every time! (Now, where to put the body?)
============ ========= ========= ========= ======
Use vertical strokes when washing windows outside and horizontal for inside windows. Then you can tell which side has the streaks. Straight vinegar will get outside windows really clean. Don't wash windows on a
Sunny day. They will dry too quickly and will probably streak.
============ ========= ========= ========= ======
Spray a bit of perfume on the light bulb in any room to create a lovely light scent in each room when the
Light is turned on.
============ ========= ========= ========= ======
Place fabric softener sheets in dresser drawers and your clothes will smell freshly washed for weeks to come.
You can also do this with towels and linen.
============ ========= ========= ========= ======
Candles will last a lot longer if placed in the freezer for at
Least 3 hours prior to burning.
============ ========= ========= ========= ======
To clean artificial flowers, pour some salt into a paper bag and add the flowers. Shake vigorously as the salt
Will absorb all the dust and dirt and leave your artificial flowers looking like new! Works like a charm!
============ ========= ========= ========= ======
To easily remove burnt on food from your skillet, simply add a drop
Or two of dish soap and enough water to
Cover bottom of pan. Bring to a boil on stove top.
============ ========= ========= ========= ======
Spray your TUPPERWARE with
Nonstick cooking spray before pouring in tomato based sauces. No stains.
============ ========= ========= ========= ======
Wrap celery in aluminum foil when putting in the refrigerator and it
Will keep for weeks .
============ ========= ========= ========= ======
When boiling corn on the cob, add a pinch of sugar to help bring out
The corn's natural sweetness.
============ ========= ========= ========= ======
Cure for headaches: Take a lime, cut it in half, and rub it on
Your forehead. The throbbing will go away.
============ ========= ========= ========= ======
Don't throw out all that leftover wine: Freeze into ice cubes
For future use in casseroles and sauces...... ...
Left over wine? What's that? :)
============ ========= ========= ========= ======
To get rid of itch from mosquito bites, try applying soap on the
Area and you will experience instant relief.
============ ========= ========= ========= ======
Ants, ants, ants everywhere Well, they are said to never cross a chalk line. So, get your chalk out and draw a line on the floor or wherever ants tend to march. See for yourself.
============ ========= ========= ========= ======
Use air-freshener to clean mirrors It does
A good job and better still, leaves a lovely smell to the shine
============ ========= ========= ========= ======
When you get a splinter, reach for the scotch tape before resorting to tweezers or a needle Simply put the scotch
Tape over the splinter, and then pull it off. Scotch tape removes most splinters painlessly and easily.
============ ========= ========= ========= ======
Now look what you can do with Alka Seltzer..... ...
Clean a toilet. Drop in two Alka Seltzer tablets, wait twenty minutes, brush and flush. The citric acid and effervescent action clean vitreous China.
============ ==== ============ ========= ========
Clean a vase.
To remove a stain from the bottom of a glass vase or cruet, fill with
Water and drop in two Alka Seltzer tablets.
============ ========= ========= ========= ======
Polish jewelry.
Drop two Alka Seltzer tablets into a glass of water and immerse the jewelry for two minutes.
============ ========= ========= ========= ======
Clean a thermos bottle.
Fill the bottle with water, drop in four Alka Seltzer tablets, and let
soak for an hour (or longer, if necessary).
============ ========= ========= ========= ======
Unclog a drain.
Clear the sink drain by dropping three Alka Seltzer tablets down
the drain followed by a cup of White Vinegar. Wait a few minutes and then run the hot water.
============ ========= ========= ========= ======
Burn your fingers?
Pour soy sauce over it and the burning sensation will immediately stop (and you have a good chance of not blistering, too.) I don't know why, but it just works.
============ ========= ========= ========= ======
Do your friends a favor. Pass this timely information on to a friend! I just did.

@@@@ News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my garage where the trains still run, dragons fly, and the Liar’s Club summer contest goes on-Yesterday the latest contestant for the summer’s Liar’s Club contest read his story from the gazebo. His name was Allan Heyydan and he is from Cicero Illinois. Here is his story:
I am sure you have all heard the nonsense poem that begins “ Last night upon the stair I met a man who wasn’t there”. Until last night I thought it was a nonsense poem. But last night I met the man upon the stair. I’m staying out at my Uncle Harold’s place on 2 1/2 mile road. Well he is really my Uncle-in-law as his wife is my dad’s sister. Anyway I was on my way up to bed. When I stay at Uncle Harold’s I sleep on the second floor. I started up the steps to my bedroom when this little man suddenly appeared on the top step. He said “ I want some beer”. I screamed but just as Uncle Harold came to the foot of the stairs he blinked out. Uncle Harold though I was crazy. In all the years he has lived there there has never been a man upon the stairs that blinks out. You can ask him. So I went to bed but I didn’t sleep well. I had very bad dreams about a gorilla chasing me for a beer. In the morning my Aunt Bernice brought me a big glass of orange juice in her very favorite glass. It has some Green Bay Packer player on it. I’m a Bear’s fan myself. So I drank the orange juice, dressed and started downstairs. I just put my foot on the step when the little guy blinked in on the middle of the stairs. Again he asked for a beer. He so startled me I dropped the glass and it broke into an awful lot of pieces. Now I had ruined Aunt Bernice’s favorite glass. The little man looked at me waved his hand and the glass came back together. Just then Aunt Bernice came to see what the noise was. Again just before she got there he blinked out. Now I understand the rest of the poem, “ He was there again today. I wish! I wish! He’d stay away”. Now you might doubt this story but I brought the glass and if you look at it very closely you can see what look like tiny scratch marks. That’s where the glass was broken and put back together not with glue but with magic. I know I will never look at stairs the same way again. I hope the little guy gets his beer.
Allan got 10s from all the tourist judges but not so good from the locals. He ended up with a 9.2 which is now the score to beat.
*****

Today's Link- Covered with Love--A mixture of family and knitting. Leave a DR. John in the comment.
Another ordinary day. I worked in the garage a bit in the morning and the afternoon. The man came and put the tile in the bathroom. We are hoping the pool will dry up so we can box it and bring it back. It is like a bad dream. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I have no excuse not to get to all those little chores.

4:58 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I never heard of those alka seltzer tricks. I may try one today. The Hydrogen Peroxide on blood or other natural stains like food, grass, etc. does work. When Squirt was a baby I ended up refilling my "spray & wash" with Hydrogen Peroxide - it worked even better.

6:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the comment following the blood stain hint. "what to do about the body" Priceless! Very Alfred Hitchcock!

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know Allan! His story isn't a lie. He needs to give the little man on the stairs the beer and quit drinking it himself. Orange juice indeed!

7:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I had heard of a lot of those before but forgotten them,especially the alka seltzer. Some of the I have actually tried. By the way where DID you hide the body? I wont tell. Now I have to go buy some alka seltzer.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Interesting tips, some I heard before, but some were new.

Thankyou for sharing

A Blessed day is wished for you and Betty.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Has Allan ever been to Finland?

9:53 AM  
Blogger -atomik kitten said...

Speaking of cutting things in half...you can do the same thing with dryer sheets. Also keep them after you use them in a zip lock bag. They repel mosquitoes if you put them in your pocket and they dust the inside of a car really well.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Excellent hints. I will use a bunch of them.

I think Allan Hayyden has been watching your Finnish video from yesterday. But I do hear that ghosts have a hankering for beer.

1:30 PM  
Blogger J C said...

Yeah, maybe if he gives the guy a beer he will just disappear forever, or maybe he's an alcoholic and he'll keep coming back like a blackmailer. But would the can...or bottle...disappear with him? Hmmmm Betcha MRS. John already knew most of those alka seltzer etc. tricks. :)

5:05 PM  
Blogger The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

Some useful tips - thanks for sharing. And another use for dryer sheets. Place in the bottom of the wastebaskets around the house - it will keep them smelling fresh!

5:31 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Okay, I'm going out right now to buy some Alka Seltzer. And then I'm printing this whole list and saving it. Thank you! What fabulous suggestions.

Who knew!

Josie

8:30 PM  
Blogger ArtsyTartsyViray said...

I just want to thank you for all the kind words and encouragement I get from you everytime you read my blog..

It really means a lot to me.. especially during this difficult time in my life..

God bless.. and thanks again!

11:33 PM  
Blogger Bazza said...

Some very useful tips, but I also struggle with the concept of left over wine, It wouldn't happen in my house!

12:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Household tips are fun, but I can't ever remember them. Those local judges are tough!

3:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home