Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Too Much Reading

Saying for the Day- A good writer creates a world and invites you in.

I have been doing lots of reading lately and I now have four open stories. That’ s because author’s can’t seem to get their story into just one book and I don’t have the next book, yet.

First there is Harry Potter. I like Harry Potter. He is fighting the battle between good and evil. He seems to be losing. But there is one more book. It won’t be ready until July. Until then I just have to worry about the poor kid.

Then there is Eragon. I have followed the poor guy through two books as he trys to save the world. Things don’t look good for him either. But the last book. The one I really want to read is still in Paolini’s head. There is nothing I can do to shake it loose and Paolini seems to be doing more book signings than writing.

The next story has a whole group of people who are trying to restore water to the people. The second and final book is out and I just have to get to Barnes and Noble to buy it.

Finally there is a wonderful bunch of people fighting against evil. I am on the third book and there are ten . I have to get to Barnes and Noble to get the next two or three .

I am stuck because the characters are like old friends. I need to know how it all turns out. Once I do I am going to quit reading or I am going to check and make sure everything is in the one volume. I hate open stories.

@@@@ News From Pigeon Falls– The little town in my garage where the trains still run, boys talk to rocks, basketball is king, and Last Lutheran Church has a new pastor– Nancy says that a lot of people from Last Lutheran are muttering about Pastor Moe. His sermon was too long. It was boring. He is not very friendly. He hates basketball. He has no sense of humor. He is a liberal. Pastor Moe has sold a lot of coffee as people have come to the shop to have a cup and complain to Nancy. Not that Nancy can do anything. She doesn’t even go to church every Sunday. But she does listen well and makes good coffee.
Nancy’s poltergeist struck again about 4:30 yesterday. Just after the school bus left the kids off. This time a tea cup floated to the floor but then the tea pot tipped and the cup filled with tea. Not a single drop fell on the floor. You can say one thing about her poltergeist it’s neat. One supposes that Eino will blame an odd air flow again.
Tonight is the quarterfinal game. By noon today half of Pigeon Falls will be on its way downstate to see the New Potatoes play. They are playing a team that hasn’t lost a game . They also have a player who makes unbelievable shots . This may be the New Potatoes last game. But the town doesn’t think so. They fully expect to win. Tommy UK and his father are going.
Petrovich says he is still working on translating the next driblet but it isn’t easy. Coptic is harder than today’s Russian. He needs to get the words right and then he needs to figure out how they apply to today. Now that Cindra has dropped her word list he can’t use that to prove anything. But he assured Nancy that what he is discovering will impact Pigeon Falls and perhaps the nation. He still had to pay for his coffee.
Our dragon hasn’t been seen for a long time , nor has the big White Rabbit. It is possible they died during the winter or that they went back to wherever it is they came from. Eino still maintains there is a rational explanation but then Eino thinks there is a rational explanation for what has been happening at Nancy’s.
*****

Link for Today-Blather-Rinse-Repeat- Here you will find a "genuine" fake poll. Please leave a "genuine" Dr. John in the comment.
The computer is now working fine I have no idea why. My sister is coming to visit tomorrow. Betty and I went to Pet Co and Barnes and Noble this afternoon. I got two of the books I wanted. The other two , of course, we need to wait on. Visited most of the links. Now I will take a breathing treatment.
GBYA

16 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Spring equinox is coming. Maybe it would be a good time to try balancing an egg on its end at Nancy's. See if this "poltergeist" participates.

5:31 AM  
Blogger Alastair said...

Is it a chicken haunting? A poultrygeist?

Apologies, always wanted to use that line!

Dragon story is percolating from unconscious to conscious at a very meagre speed. But it is not forgotten.

Glad your PC is up and running again Dr John. And i liked the real fake poll at blather-rinse-repeat.

5:54 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I've read a few books like this and the anxiety really gets to me waiting for the next book release!

I'm churning up a Dragon Tale for the Liar's Club. 'cept this isn't a lie, it's a true story of a backyard adventure. =O)

6:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get hooked into series like that sometimes, too. Even when it gets to the point that the later books aren't very good you just have to know what happens to the characters.

Maybe the dragon and/or the rabbit are in disguise as poltergeists??

8:30 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

http://www.bumpertalk.com/bumpertalk/BC086A.html

Just came across this and thought that you would appreciate it.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

I just checked that link and it doesnt take it to the specific bumper sticker.

Anyways, it was the one that says "Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup"

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like Alastair, I plan to write a dragon story -- as soon as I am well and less busy, all at the same time.

Whatever is happening in Pidgeon Falls happened at my home the other evening and moved my glasses from the nightstand to the medicine cabinet. It is too weird.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Dr. John, I find the characters in books like old friends as well, and I like to keep re-visiting them. Right now it's Jane Eyre and Mr. Rochester. I'm reading the book and watching the video.

Josie

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw Eragon the movie, it was excellent. I have not read any of the books you mentioned though. i hope to get to the Harry Potters one day.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Nessa said...

I love reading series novels. I've done the first two you mentioned. What are the other two series?

6:07 PM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Reading on going stories like that is fun, because the characters are so developed, but excruciating when you have to wait for the next one! I am with you on that.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

we have been in love with Harry Potter since the beginning, can't wait for the fourth book. Ana was a child when they began, and now Nick is the age that Ana was when the saga began. I can always watch the first one, over and over. And we do......

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just curious here. I noticed that people are finding my blog through you (thanks for the link, btw). However, I wasn't exactly sure what a "genuine Dr. John in the comments" suggestion meant?

-stjarna

blog owner of Blather, Rinse, Repeat.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

I used to feel the same way about television two parters, but I don't know if those are still around because I really don't watch much TV anymore.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

I love Petco and Barnes and Noble.....I could spend hours in a book store!

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If anyone is interested, I've posted 2 more batches of Genuine Fake Celebrity News.

Can't you smell the fine aroma of roasting celebrities from here?!?!

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home