Saturday, March 24, 2007

A Grab it Time

Saying for the day- We must treasure the special moments of life as there are so few.

There are those special moments in life that you would like to put your arms around and hold onto forever. This weekend is one of those moments.
Not that I am any richer or less poor than last weekend. My health is no better. My debts are pretty much the same. I haven’t won the lotto and I’m still retired. In fact everything is pretty much the same as last weekend. But not everything,
My grandchildren Luke and Bree are here for the weekend. There is a puppy in the house, and tomorrow Betty and I will join a very special church. All day today I will play with my grandkids, hold the puppy, and just bask in the wonder of life. Tomorrow we will be welcomed into a family of God that God has helped us find. Life can not be better than this so I wish I could just lock it in place.
I can’t of course. Life has great moments, ordinary moments, and moments you wish would never come at all. If it were not so the great moments wouldn’t be great.
But this is not a time for philosophical thinking. It is a time to enjoy the moment and I shall.

@@@@ News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my garage where the trains still run, boys talk to rocks, basketball is king, and the sap is rising.– Pigeon Falls is like a ghost town today. Everybody, well almost everybody has gone downstate to the tournament . This is the championship game. In the entire history of the town, even before the consolidated school, the team has never won a championship. All over town there are signs. “ Go team. “ “ All the way-New Potatoes” , “ We are number one” and a favorite “ Boldly go where no New Potato has ever gone”.
Buddy East announced before he left that Alpha Dude had submitted an alternate ending to his story and it would be treated as a separate entry. It can be seen HERE on the Liar’s club website. The rules committee met and said that the first entry was within the rules for this contest though it would not have been acceptable for the one in the fall. Different contests , different rules. So the new ending will be treated as a separate entry , also permitted by the rules.
The weather is warming and the sap is rising in the maple trees. Farmers are drilling holes and putting buckets on trees . Soon the sap will be boiling and syrup will be made, good , old fashioned maple syrup. Not the imitation maple stuff you buy in the store . That stuff is mostly corn syrup. Its not the same and not nearly as good. The pretend syrup pushes the price of the real stuff down which is too bad because it takes a lot of work to make a bottle of real maple syrup. There is drilling ,gathering, and boiling, lots and lots of boiling. Yet every year some Pigeon Falls farmers and non farmers can hardly wait for the sap to rise.
*****

Today's Link-The Pedalogue-- Into every life a little rain must falls but this is more than a little, Leave a Dr. John in the soggy comments.
Well the day eas all that I expexted and just a bit more. I played with my grandkids and took them to an indoor amusment park. Together we played with the puppy. I lost six games of Mangala to my grandaughter. I don't know how she does what she does. But it isn't luck. Luke and I played some PC games together. Now they have gone home as their father came and got them. Ah the little bit extra. My real estate agent called and we have an offer on the Crystal Falls house. It is on the low side but we will make a counter offer and just possibly we will get it sold. Some days really are special. Now I will take a breathing treatment.
GNYA

9 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

I thought the sap was always on the rise in Pigeon Falls. :-) :-) :-)

5:51 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Wishing you a wonderful weekend for both you and Betty. Enjoy your day today with you Grandchildren and your new puppy.

A blessed weekend is wished for you

9:23 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

lol Still Retired?
Not Won the lottery yet?

Nothing like living in hope
hope of getting younger by the day
hope of getting richer by the day

Hope of making it to the end of a day - without getting poorer
or seeing our mind slip away

Have a great Saturday
Wishing you a fine Sunday!

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Janvangogh always takes my lines. I wonder if we're related and just don't know it?

I am glad you are having a weekend to treasure. Grandchildren and puppies definately sound like joy.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I enjoyed this post about grabbing those precious times

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like a wonderful weekend, Dr. John. I hope you and Betty enjoy every moment of it. I'm glad you've found a church family.

4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems like of the peaks and valleys of my life, most of the peaks have involved small children and puppies. Coincidence?

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am happy for you for being able to find a church you love. God is so good and gives us the desires of our hearts doesn't he? May God bless you and Betty as yoiu join this new family of believers.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Alpha Dude said...

Glad you had a great day with the grandkids.

Congrats on finding a church home. That is so very important (being where you know God wants you to be).

Blessings to you and yours, Dr. John.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home