Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Take him to the hospital

Saying for the day: A little snow does not a blizard make.

Honey at House of Honey did a blog about the experience of taking her little girl to the emergency room which reminded me of and experience Betty and I had when our kids were little.

Our son Patrick was almost a year old when he got whatever it was that was going around. We assumed he would shake it off as kids usually do. But the next day his fever began to go up and when it got to 101 we decided to take him to the doctor’s.

This was a thirty mile ride as there was no doctor in Ewen where we were living at the time. The doctor gave him a shot and told us to take him home. This was standard procedure.

When we got him home the fever went to 102 and so we called the doctor. He said give him an aspirin and it should come down. We did . It didn’t. Instead it went to 103. Now we were scared. We called the doctor again and he said we should put him in the hospital but the hospital was full. So he arranged for us to go to a different hospital fifty miles away.

The problem was that we were in the middle of one of the UP’s winter storms. You could hardly see the road. It took us two hours to drive the fifty miles. By the time we reached the hospital Pat’s temperature was 104 .

They gave him an ice bath that brought the temperature down. The antibiotics finally kicked in and by the next day he was ready to come home.

But every time we have a winter storm I remember that trip. I swear God must have kept the car on the road.

@@@
News from Pigeon Falls.
Well Pigeon Falls is back. I walked down the newly resurfaced main street with the new wide sidewalks. It looks better than last year.
It even has a handicapped parking place. Of course its in front of the tavern which is a little odd. But I suppose Pigeon Falls has a few handicapped drunks.
The town also has a dentist for the first time. He has his office in the old bank building. It used to be a place to save your money and now it’s a place to save your teeth. I wonder if he keeps the gold caps in the vault?
I stopped by Nancy’s for a cup of coffee and a saffron bun. She’s still charging $.50 a cup for coffee but the saffron bun is now $1.00 . But it does have real butter on it.
Asked Nancy what’s going on in town.
She said it was pretty quiet. Except for the grumbling about the 1/4 mill that the town council assessed to pay for the new street and sidewalk. There is no talk of a voters rebellion , she said, because nobody wants to be on the town council. But that doesn’t keep them from muttering. Nobody likes millage.
The other big news is that some retired Bishop may have bought the old Tieminen place. You know, the big house on the hill just beyond the old Jupola place. The house that everyone thought would be empty forever. She isn’t sure that this is true. She didn’t know what kind of Bishop either. People are excited though since Pigeon Falls has never had a live in Bishop before. ( Pastor Marvel though doesn't seem very excited) Well we might know more tomorrow.
****

Beautiful day today. Betty went to Tops. I added a new top ten list to the church web page. In the afternoon Betty and I worked on the garage. We found stuff we bought and forgot last winter. It was in bags in the garage. We have the small saw ready now to work on buildings. Put the little fountain out in the pool and its not working. Moved things so we can get to the trains. If it is nice tomorrow we will begin the process of fixing the tracks so the trains run the way they are supposed to. Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

9 Comments:

Blogger Louisiana said...

Hope you have been well. Fevers/children are a mixed that i rather do without. They often cause such stress and uncertainty that is very frightening. My oldest daughter started with a 'regurlar fever' and ended up with meningitis...
I'm so glad that God looked after you guys and kept the car in the road...
Can't wait to read your last days posts...How is the cold? Hopefully gone. Stay well and read you tomorrow.

5:22 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

....I missed your Birthday and i'm sorry...Please accept my deepest wishes that your special day was filled with joy and love and hugs from Betty and peace and family and cake too...

Just like Pennie's blog said, life without your birth would have been lacking. I'm glad you were born. I'm glad you are here. I'm glad to have met you. You and your post bring me joy every day. Not only do i laugh but i learn and i feel somehow closer to my great-grandparents and i love that...Thank you.

5:41 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Sounds like you had another miracle story. I talked to my mom last night and she tells me there is a Pigeon Falls Wisconsin, where her brother lives, no lie.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

I still get scared when kids fevers go up. And I can NEVER find mt thermometer when I need it...lol. I think every town has a house like Pigeon Falls that they think will always be empty...lol. Im glad the dentist is over the bank building because anymore when you go to the Dentist you need to go get a bank loan first...lol

8:00 AM  
Blogger Bella said...

You know, you're blog is like a retreat. A little R&R for me. I can have the worse day in my life but if I stop by here, I feel comforted. God, I love this blog. :)

I guess back the day, 104 fever was something to panic over. Now, I call the doctor and they tell ME to put my child in a cold bathtub. Healthcare just isn't what it used to be.

I want to go to Pigeon Falls. :)

9:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kids and fevers. Doctors can be so cavalier about it; thank goodness for parental instinct!

Ah, an unassuming morning in Pigeon Falls. You know, in Stephen King's novels when some big mucky-muck (retired Bishop, indeed!) moves into the big, deserted house on the hill, you can always expect much ado about . . . something!

I'll stay tuned!

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Belated congratulations, Doc! Been a little busy stressing about job-hunting!

...and it's a vicious rumour that I'm disabled when I exit the local tavern!

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhhh...those fevers...my mom told me once to slice an onion and put it in my toddler's sock to bring the fever down...

it worked...

now, if the fever went to 103/104 don't think I would risk that...

glad everything turned out ok...

ahhh..the joys of parenthood!

1:18 PM  
Blogger kristi said...

Fevers are scary things!! Especially when they get that hot. Someone was definatly watching over you that night on the way to the hospital!!

I am sure that the folks of Pigeon Falls will be looking nice now that you have a dentist in town. I can only imagine some of the teeth on those people. Funny that it is in the old bank, but as much as a dentist charges they need the whole bank...LOL
As for the retired bishop coming to town, people get stuck in their ways and my not accept him at first but after they find out that he is a good guy then things will be better for him.

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home