Saturday, April 11, 2009

Raven's Challenge 58

Today's Link
The Thoughts of a Psycho

Today's Saying
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important. ~Janet Lane

Today's Picture
Ella with my three grandsons-at St. Mark's

It is Saturday and time to play with words supplied by Raven's Wordzzle

This Week's Ten Word Challenge will be: acrobat; grocery store; ceiling fan; dandelion; bumble bee; alabaster; scissors; chartreuse; ; cube strenuously
Mini Challenge: iPod; poison ivy; computer; interpreter; optometrist

The Mega Challenge as The Ongoing Adventures of Agent 012

Agent 012 sat in a lawn chair on the shallow end of the pool while the Doctor examined him. Over and over he thought “ I’m never going to drink tea again, ever.”
The Doctor finished his exam and said that Agent 012 looked okay but he should go to the hospital for a full examination.
“Nix! On that” Agent 012 responded. ”We have a panther to catch. It is time we stopped that bomber. This place is all fenced in and there are patrols working the fences he would have to be an acrobat to get out of here.”
“ That may be true but you just came close to being dead . The falling ceiling fan sliced everything up just inches from you and that alabaster column came down on top of the cabinet that covered you. I would go to the hospital if I were you.” the Doctor strenuously pleaded.
But Agent 012 wasn’t paying any attention he had taken off his left shoe, popped up the view screen, and requested some Agency data on the Panther from his shoe computer. He discovered that the Panther worked for Mute most of the time. He had blown up a grocery store in Scissors, Texas, the Chartreuse Paint Store in Pittsburgh, and the French Embassy in New York City. That last job was particularly horrible in that the Embassy was the last design of the famous French cube architect Fransois Tante who had developed the cube style of building to an art form. He had gotten into the Embassy by pretending to be a Finnish interpreter. He often worked with a partner known only as Poison Ivy Poison Ivy was to be approached with great care as he or she had a ring filled with a combination of dandelion juice and bumble bee venom that could if injected stop a heart.
Armed with this information Agent 912 lead a group of local law enforcement people into the woods around the building. Being an excellent tracker he followed all the little signs nobody else would even notice, things like a dead bug here or a broken leaf there. Suddenly they came upon a man standing by the chain link fence.
“Teidän täytyy olla pantterit” said Agent 012.
“I’m not the Panther “ said the man.
“Of course you are” said Agent 012 : “Who else would be hiding in the woods that understands Finnish?” Then our brave Agent pulled his iPod from his pocket and called for an Agency copter to pick up the Panther. As soon as that was done he headed for home looking forward to spending Easter with the family.
The only dark spot on the horizon was his Tuesday visit to the optometrist.
But today had been a great day.

The Ten word challenge-On Schedule

I had the whole day planned as usual .If we had stuck to the plan I don’t think it would have happened . But we didn’t and it did. We went first to the paint store in the mall looking for some chartreuse paint for Joan’s room. You know how fussy she is and the color has to be just right. Well they didn’t have exactly what she wanted and apparently they couldn’t mix it up either. She wanted what she called traditional chartreuse not that web color chartreuse.. I didn’t even know there was a difference. Well by the time she finished arguing the nature of the color we were fifteen minutes behind schedule. I just hate that. Then she stopped to watch a ceiling fan pull in a loose balloon. I was so glad when it popped and we could move on. I really thought that if we rushed we could begin to get back on schedule but then she saw the acrobat in the mall lobby. He was standing on one hand on a large wooden cube and had a bouquet of dandelions in the other. She thought he was terrific and wanted to see what else he could do. No matter how strenuously I begged she could not be moved. I tell you that fellow had a lot of tricks in his routine but finally he took a break and I got her into the car. We only had one other stop to make at The Kingly Grocery Store, the one with the alabaster pillars on each side of the front door. I know it is the most expensive grocery store in town but it was the only one that had the special sweet pickle relish that we wanted. Joan agreed we would just go in , get the relish and come right out. We were walking toward that overly opulent door when it happened. A bumble bee stung her in the throat and down she went. Her throat swelled shut and she couldn’t breath. I was sure I was going to lose her as there certainly wasn’t time to call 911 and get an ambulance. That’s when the store manager came running out with a scissors and a straw. He poked a hole in her neck and inserted the straw and she began to breath again. Then the 911 people came and gave her some kind of shot. Soon the swelling went down but they took her to hospital and checked her out. By the time I got her home the entire day was shot but she was fine. I learned two things that day. First I learned what a wonderful grocery store Kingly is and I will do all my grocery shopping there. And second and I remind Joan of this often. If you want to stay out of trouble stick to the schedule.

The mini challenge- A Troubled Optometrist

Dr. George Chartwell was confused. He was attending the international optometrists convention in Chicago and listening to a lecture that was supposed to be about advances in surgical techniques in the treatment of classic eye problems. The lecture was being delivered in Swedish by a renowned Swedish eye surgeon . He was listening to an interpreter on his iPod like device. It was really a great system. You simply punched in the room number of the lecture and you were then given a choice of languages it was being translated into. He , of course had picked English.
But what he was hearing made no sense. The Doctor was pointing at a large piece of equipment but he heard him say, “ We now have numerous reports of people losing their sight from rubbing their eyes after touching poison ivy. “
That just didn’t make any sense. He had checked the room number twice on his computer before coming here to room 201. He had punched the number into his device but the results just made no sense. He punched the number in again but the results were the same.
Meanwhile in room 102 another dyslexic optometrist who wanted to find out about the effects of allergies on the eyes was listening to a man describe a machine that would do eye surgery for you.
It made no sense.
All the words in a one sentence story-Language Problems

The optometrist who had a cube and computer in the grocery store strenuously warned the acrobat that to protect his eyes from his allergies he had to stay away from dandelions, poison ivy, bumble bees and alabaster dyed chartruse but the acrobat wasn’t listening as he was watching the ceiling fan, listening to his iPod, and playing with a pair of scissors possibly because he only spoke Finnish and there was no interpreter.


News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal
It is Saturday and time to look back at the week in Pigeon Falls:
Monday– Joe over at Slowvinsky Lumber became very agitated when he opened the shipment of bathroom tile He had ordered traditional chartreuse but they sent imitation alabaster. He knew that the local grocery store would not be willing to use this tile in their bathroom cube. This was not the first time this company had made a mistake. He had ordered poison ivy green roofing and they sent dandelion yellow. Who in the world uses yellow roofing and couldn‘t they find a better name for their green than poison ivy.? So he called the company and after playing the push this number game he final got to strenuously complain to what passed as a human being. After much arguing he was referred to the Manager who told him he could keep the tile they sent and they would send him the right tiles immediately.
Tuesday-Tommy FK (the farmer’s kid) used his computer to download a course on how to become an acrobat only to discover that he needed an interpreter as the course was in German. He must have missed that point in the download where he picked the language he wanted it in. Then again, perhaps, he should go and see the optometrist in Iron Mountain.
Wednesday-Esther over at Kivi & Maki came in to discover that bumble bees were building a nest on their ceiling fan. She is afraid to turn the fan on or there will be angry bees all over the store. This is absolutely the wrong day for this as today their big scissors sale starts. It was advertised as their part in jump starting the economy and every scissors was made in America.
Thursday– Nellie Maki walked into the light pole at the center of the block. She was talking on her iPod at the time and paying no attention to where she was going. They found her unconscious and took her to the clinic. She had a slight concussion but will be okay after some rest. Her mother took away her iPod.

Wrap UP
Of course the dragons will be busy today you can see them HERE.
My grandaughter has also posted and can be read HERE
Or scroll down and see my Aprill 11th poem.
Ella has arrived from Las Vegas and we will be detailing her adventures in the Picture of the day and the wrap up. Last night she went to the Good Friday service. She did embarrass us once when she tried walking on the altar rail but my grandson got her off before she attracted too much attention.
We had a very good day. I visited all the listed wordzzle blogs. Then my entire family gathered and I just now got back to the computer. Ella met Elmer my stepgrandson and they hit it off. I played canasta. It was Betty and I against Bree and Alex and we got clobbered. The kids did an Easter egg hunt on the lawn. It was just a fun day. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
**********************************************

23 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agent 012 is stubborn when it comes to the doctors and he shouldn't be. Is he a relative of Maxwell Smart, AGent 86? I love the shoe. Excellent Dr. John.

1:35 AM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

Agent 012 takes everything in his stride apart from a visit to the Optometrist! I like the idea of a shoe computer :)

3:36 AM  
Blogger Shadow said...

i simply love 'today's saying'!

3:52 AM  
Blogger Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Those are some good looking boys Dr J. I know you are proud!

4:10 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

Your danasoft sign says I live near "Bridgeport", I wonder why?
I don't think there is a Bridgeport in the UP.

It used to say I live near "Hancock". Maybe I've moved and don't know it.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Love today's saying!

7:51 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

yay to agent 012! loved the other challenges as well... mini was a riot!

9:37 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Ohhhhh my goodness! Elephants on the Altar Rail -- THAT sounds like a poem to ME! So glad she arrived! I hope she BEHAVES from here on out! You keep her in line!

O12 really should stop by the hospital... I just have a feeling!

Loved the dyslexic story! How do you think of this stuff?!

It always amazes me the things I learn on Saturday that I NEVER heard a whisper about all week in Pigeon Falls... and that reminds me... I NEED a new pair of scissors!

9:52 AM  
Blogger DawnTreader said...

This week too, I really love your News from Pigeon Falls - they make me laugh! :)

10:20 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

Agent 012 speaks Finnish? International man of intrigue indeed. Why is he concerned at the optometrist?

11:35 AM  
Blogger Raven said...

Very entertaining as always! I'm late visiting as my neighbor Shannon has had control of the computer. She kept asking me why I was laughing out loud as I read these. Hope you and Betty have a wonderful Easter.

2:15 PM  
Blogger gabrielle said...

When dyslexia and technology collide, all bets are off. Enjoyed all the stories. On to visit the dragons.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Baron's Life said...

Dr. John,
I've been following your blog through our mutual friend Peter Worldman. I am impressed with your posts.
Wishing you and your loved ones a Happy Easter
God Bless you all

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your Agent 012 stories. The story with the girl who got her throat cut with scissors, ouch.

4:39 PM  
Blogger Cherie said...

Good to see Ella and your grandsons. :) And I'm going to check out your granddaughter's Worddazzle next.

Happy Easter!

5:32 PM  
Anonymous quilly said...

If you play Canasta with Ella, watch her. I hear she learned to deal from the bottom of the deck while in Vegas.

012 had best be careful, his good days usually have horrid consequences!

7:33 PM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

I was sitting in front of my COMPUTER reading your post, with my IPOD on the ears. Then I heard a noise above the music. Was it the CEILING FAN? No, we don't have any in our apartment. Was it a BUMBLE BEE? Can't be, we don't have DANDELIONS or POISON IVY in the apartment. I wanted to ask my wife if she made the noise. But she haf gone to the GROCERY STORE. She will be like an ACROBAT coming back with 3 shopping bags to hold, press the elevator button and open the door, still holding the bags. And I hope that she did not buy CHARTREUSE brandy. I don't like it.

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very happy & blessed Easter to you, Dr. John!

8:03 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Hi Ella!! Glad you had a safe trip to Wisconsin! Have a very happy Easter!

9:56 PM  
Blogger DawnTreader said...

Thanks for drawing my attention to the fact that I had managed to put the wrong link in this week's "Mr Linky" at Raven's Wordzzle. I have corrected it now.

2:25 AM  
Blogger Ordinarily Just Me said...

I am new to blogging and to Ravens word challenge. I have to say of them all I really like yours and Quillys. They are very entertaining

10:59 PM  
Blogger Lu' said...

Always a pleasure to read the adventures of Agent 012.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

I enjoyed reading your stories, including the News from Pigeon Falls. You worked the challenge words into everything, and did it very well.

Stephen from Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
http://stephen-has-spoken.blogspot.com/

4:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home