Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Master Detective Solves Mystery

Today's Link
Pickled Beef

Today's Saying
My grandkids believe I'm the oldest thing in the world. And after two or three hours with them, I believe it, too.
~Gene Perret


Today's Picture
My isangelous grandsons

Yesterday I needed to use both my scanner and my printer only to discover that neither one was working. I was sure that both were working last Thursday when I used them last. But now they just sat there as dead as could be.
I immediately began to figure the cost of new ones. You don’t repair computer stuff you just throw it away. I figured about $300. Now I know that sounds like a lot but the printer was wireless and the special scanner also did slides. Now $300 is a lot of money when we are trying to save for a new roof.
Then I thought I could call my son and get some advice. He knows a lot about computers. Me I have a paucity of information. It would be easier for me to learn to play a zither than to learn to repair a printer or a scanner.
Then Betty said “ Are they plugged in?”.
Lo and behold they weren’t.
Now the fact that I didn’t think of that indicates that this stupid snow and the isolation it brings has caused me to suffer the apanthropinization of a hermit. I no longer think ordinary human thoughts. But instead my mind is full of thoughts of various English wealds with rows of odd folioles, and gravid squirrels.
But I digress.
The printer and scanner must have been plugged in on Thursday but on Monday the plugs were out. I know I didn’t pull them out so the question is who did. I have a number of theories.
A. A leprechaun upset by my descriptions of leprechauns in Pigeon Valley did it late at night. You know how mean spirited those little beggars can be.
B. My fantasy self, The Mighty Walking Wizard, got an incantation wrong and the plugs pulled themselves. You know how touchy incarnations can be.
C. A left or right wing egregious fanatic upset with my middle of the road stance snuck in during the night and pulled the plugs. You know what fanatics are like. Some follower of Rush or Chris no doubt.
D. Maggie , upset because we won’t let her in the computer room found the door open Sunday afternoon and went in and pulled the plugs You know what smart dogs can do..
E. The little monkey that sits on the end of my computer got upset because the dragons were getting all the attention.After all it was here before the dragons. You know what an angry monkey can do, ask Congress.
F. My grandsons did it for some unknown reason.
Going over this list I have decided to rule my isangelous grandson’s out. They are so perfect and so sweet. Whenever you ask if they did something they say “ Not me Grandpa” so sincerely. You just know they wouldn’t lie. It just can’t be them. The fact that they were in the room Saturday and Sunday proves nothing. They didn’t need to pull the plug to use the computer or to sleep on the guest bed. It just couldn’t be them.
So I am leaning toward A. A leprechaun.
It could easily have pulled the cords without being seen. There is a bit of green lint on the cord, clearly Irish in origin. And my book of Irish poetry which was on the shelf is now on the floor at the back of my computer desk. Tell me it wasn’t a leprechaun.
Am I a great detective or what.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal
After school yesterday Tommy UK stopped in at Nancy’s. She was so happy. Her rash was gone. She had eggs and toast for breakfast and the bread wasn’t moldy and the eggs weren’t rotten. The curse was lifted and she thanked Tommy over and over for what he had done. She told Tommy he could stop in any time for free coffee and a saffron bun.
In addition to the curse being lifted Tommy TW was coming home tomorrow. She had so many new stories and rumors to share with him. They could laugh together over the rumor that the next Petrovich driblet would predict the end of the world. A good rumor is not nearly as much fun if you don’t have a special person to share it with. Nancy’s life was back to normal and even approaching great.
Tommy TW left Nancy’s and headed home. He felt very proud of himself. He had used the rock to do a good deed and he was learning how to control it. He was also staying away from the temptations to use it improperly . He had been tempted to use it to make Tammy like him again but decided that was improper. No Tommy was doing well. But just before he got home the itching started and the multicolored rash appeared.
Is Petrovich about to announce the end of the world? How much free coffee can Tommy UK drink? Will the leprechaun have the last laugh? Will Tommy and Tammy ever get back together? If you think these questions will be answered tomorrow when News From Pigeon Falls returns ,then think again.

Wrap UP
Just a note to tell you that tomorrow's blog will contain Quivel. The only blog on the internet to do so. You have been warned.It was a good day. I looked at Raven's Words for Saturday and thought about them a little. I visited all the blogs that visited me yesterday. I'm still looking for a good guest book for the Church website. This evening I went to Church. The fellowship was great. The service was inspiring. I'm certainly glad I went. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
****************************************************************8

23 Comments:

Blogger Jinksy said...

I've found vacuum cleaners have a lot to answer for where plugs are concerned...

3:47 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I vote for the monkey.., I've never met one who was not sneaky.

Great photos of the boys...they are perfect.

Bree got 3 A pluses and 5 As on her progress report...she must be related to you and Betty. She writes great stories, loves church and God and wants to be a teacher.

5:02 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Wow! Goooo Bree!

All I know is the next time I am in DIRE need of a good detective (right now!) I'm hiring YOU!

Ohhhhh that sneaky leprechaun! He is just evil! Tommy shoulda just taken his gold! .... try to be nice... what's it get ya?...

6:01 AM  
Blogger Caution/Lisa said...

They ARE beautiful boys. No way are they the culprits. Abstruseness of this ilk deserves your keen insights. Congrats to you both on this "Case closed" ending.

6:09 AM  
Blogger Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

What a great looking bunch of boys!

And I love your blogs new look!

6:24 AM  
Blogger Finding Pam said...

I love your new castle with the moat. Your Grands are adorable and I am sure they did not unplug anything.

I am glad that Nancy's rash is gone, but sorry to hear that Tommy has it now.

7:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely a leprechaun! I'm glad they only unplugged your printer -- they actually have gotten INTO my printer/scanner and now it won't "communicate" with my computer. How do you like them apples? I don't.
But I do like Tink over at Pickled Beef - isn't she wonderful?

7:23 AM  
Blogger aims said...

I don't know Dr. J - you have thought of so many options.....hmmmm....

Leprechauns though....little brats indeed!

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The (grand)children are so beautiful & look so happy.
I love today's quote.
Are they plugged in? That is a question I many times would ask my employees when something was "totally broken" and they'd roll their eyes, but oft times.....they weren't or they had become unsecure.
Quivel? Ok....~Mary

8:42 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Great looking grandsons. I love seeing the pictures of your family.

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Handsome grandsons you have. Looks to me like the luck of the Irish has run out...sneaky little leprachauns!!

9:29 AM  
Blogger Jientje said...

The leprechaun, maybe?
But I think the wizard got an incantation wrong. I'm quite sure he did.

Oh and um, thanks for teaching me all of these great words. It takes a quarter of an hour reading one of your posts because I need my dictionary all the time, but I don't mind.
I'm a word hungry girl!

9:34 AM  
Blogger Pat - Arkansas said...

Hahahahahahaha!!! Good thing I didn't have a mouth full of coffee when I read about the plugs! :) I cast my vote for the leprachaun; they are out and about these days. I won't hear any contradiction; let's not quivel about it. :)

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! That leprechaun should have been more grateful! Tommy could have wished him to the moon!

10:12 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

is agent 012 your other secret identity, perchance?

somehow i think tommy's rash has little to do with leperchaun magic

1:16 PM  
Blogger Cherie said...

Love the new "fortress". And protected by dragons no less. Most impressive. :)

4:10 PM  
Blogger Tink said...

That's me! Thanks for the link. You got a big smile outta me. I needed that. I was feeling a bit blue today. :)

5:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your new fortress is quite calmig to me and of course, I always love seeing the boys...

they made me smile even though I am not too smiley today. I need prayers, and strength, and hope.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

hi, hope you are well. i see you posted my pic from that one summer, lol...my blog is going private so i can feel free to blog again. pls make sure i have your email so i don't miss out on more time with you.. love

7:14 PM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

Or perhaps it was a combination of all having unplugged your machines. Who knows. I am also confronted from time to time with things that don't work whereas they have worked before, properly. And then, all of a sudden, they work again.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Gattina said...

Don't think any further who pulled the plugs out : I did it ! I am used to. Everything which doesn't work was always my fault so one more or less doesn't matter !

6:02 AM  
Blogger Pat - Arkansas said...

Confession: I have NO idea what "Quivel" is, and in my comment substituted that word for the meaning of "quibble." Sorry to show my ignorance, Dr. John. I look forward to seeing what "Quivel" really is.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

Definitely a leprechaun, your grandsons look far too angelic to do anything like that! ;)

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home