Thursday, July 09, 2009

Media Bias

Today's Link
Crazy, Magic, Sometimes Hectic , Beautiful Life

Today's Saying
We have a choice every day - to act on yesterday's good intentions or get an early start on tomorrow's regrets.
~Robert Brault


Today's Picture


Tuesday I shared which TV programs I got my news from and why. Out of that I have developed:
Linna’s Laws of Media Bias

Law # I: All news media is biased.

Law # II: The closer the media bias comes to your personal bias the less biased it will seem.

Law # III : The greater the distance between your bias and the bias of the media in question the more biased it will seem.

Law # IV: Almost all media considers itself to be fair and unbiased.

Law # V: Media will see and point out the bias of the competitors.

Thus it serves no purpose to complain about media bias other than letting people see where your bias is.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal
Tommy UK has disappeared. He was in his room , never came out, but is no longer there. His father thinks he used his power ring to travel to someplace but has no idea as to why or where.
Eino is very upset. Last night’s video showed a four armed creature with what looks like a weapon riding on the back of a wooly elephant. He wonders if some sort of invasion has begun. He is afraid if he contacts Homeland Security and tells them they are being invaded by things from another dimension they will think he is crazy. At times he thinks that at any moment he is going to wake up and discover this was all a dream.
People have stopped going into the woods because of the encounters with bouncing heads, giant birds, and other weird things. Everybody coming into Nancy’s has a story of their own meeting or of one they were told about.
Then there was the great aerial battle that took place over Pigeon Falls. Two dragons fought a creature on the back of a floating wooly elephant. The creature fired a blast from his weapon that just missed the lead dragon and dissolved the TV antenna on top the Masonic building. Before he could get off another shot the other dragon flew under the wooly elephant and hit it with what looked like a really hot flame. The wooly elephant exploded and the creature fell to the ground with the weapon where it exploded.
Tommy UK, now dressed in black, like his mentor was in the woods waiting for night to come.

Wrap UP
Another rough breathing day. I did get to visit all the blogs that left comments yesterday. Betty , Pennie, Peter, and Bree went to Life Fest. Melli called which made the day a little better. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
**************************************************

19 Comments:

Blogger anthonynorth said...

Yes, as long as media, as a whole, is as free as possible, and offers a fair choice of biases.

1:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If there are bouncing heads to encounter in the woods, I wouldn't go there either!

2:17 AM  
Blogger Rinkly Rimes said...

I definitely have got a bias toward thinking that he media is biased!An interesting series of thoughts!

2:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Each day arrives with a new sunrise.

3:37 AM  
Blogger Sandi McBride said...

The most truthful thing I have heard in many a day! Bias is as part of human nature as breathing.

Hoping Tommy UK turns up soon with all the answers in his arsenal...
Sandi

3:47 AM  
Blogger Lou said...

You nailed it with your media explanation! I think most of us want to hear "like minded" thoughts.

Loved the quote!

5:14 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

Media is biased because it is run by biased humans. And the media is funded by companies, which have agendas.

So then the questions become: Are the "journalists" making any, every effort to show several sides of an issue? Are the commentators, who hold views other than that of the media company, credible at all, or are they just there for show? Do the commentators and "anchors" acknowledge their own biases? Do any of these people do any fact checking? When a "news report" is given, does it also contain lots of the reporter's (or the network's) opinions, ie, is it an editorial?

I am becoming more open to listening to "biased news" when the speakers are open about their biases. I'm less accepting of those who purport to report "news" but it is full of personal opinion and editorial.

5:55 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Nice photo of the boys...

6:18 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Years ago Dr John it was called Propaganda.

6:31 AM  
Blogger Gattina said...

I have the chance to listen to the news in France, UK, CNN, Germany and Italy, so I can put all the stuff together to get out the truth !

7:42 AM  
Blogger aims said...

I like to know that at the end of the day I have the brains to figure out my own opinion.

This was not always an option in my life and so I value it even more now.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Jientje said...

Somewhere in the middle lies the truth.
Have a great day Dr John!

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even though they are biased as long as we have a choice I think that's what matters.

Go get 'em Tommy UK The weird goings on is making Pigeon Falls just weird.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

All media is biased because it is usually someone's opinion.

Love the photo Dr. John. :)

11:24 AM  
Blogger Family Man said...

When you have freedom of speech that entitles everyone to give their own opinion, even the media.

It is hover a price I am willing to pay in order to have my opinion.

12:43 PM  
Anonymous quilly said...

I just read your last 3 posts. I figure, if I check out all the news sources, I stand a good chance of figuring out what's really what.

I think I can account for the missing animals that haven't yet exploded in Pigeon Falls. I believe they floated all the way to Vancouver BC and exploded over our camp. There were so many of them, and we got so wet, we came home a day early!

Tommy, MIB in training. I knew this day would come.

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Alice Audrey said...

I don't blame Eino for wishing it was all a dream

6:22 PM  
Blogger Cherie said...

It's the MiB! I don't know whether this a good thing or not. :)

8:07 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

It was GOOD to hear your voice yesterday! Thanks for your help!

You've managed to not let us know where your biases lean! But that's because you cover all sides. I, on the other hand never speak of newsworthy things at all on my blog, and yet everyone SEEMS to know where my biases lean! LOL!

So Tommy has donned the black wardrobe, huh? What a FINE moment this is!!! GO Tommy!

7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home