Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Enough Already

Today's Link
LouCeel


Today's Saying
Don't be yourself - be someone a little nicer.
~Mignon McLaughlin


Today's Picture

Yesterday was Michael Jackson’s Memorial Service.
It was broadcast live.
I never paid much attention to Michael but then I am not impressed by stars movie or music.
But I think it was good that the service was televised for those who did think he was really important.
What I object to is the extent of the coverage.
NBC carried it live.
CBS carried it live.
ABC carried it live.
Fox News carried it live.
CNN carried it live.
MSNBC carried it live.
HSN carried it live
Of the 80 channels I get on my cable seventeen carried it live. I checked.
As far as I could tell the coverage didn’t differ much from channel to channel.
Wasn’t this overkill.
Wouldn’t one or perhaps three have been more than enough?
All those resources, all those people, all covering the same thing.
All other new was suspended.
The President was in Russia.
The Supreme Court was handing down rulings.
There was a big fire in Milwaukee.
For two hours they didn’t count. All news stopped because all the news channels were covering the funeral.
You know and I know that when somebody dies who truly made a difference in our lives they will get at best a five minute blurb.. You know the ones that create new wonder drugs or surgical procedures and thus extend our lives. Or the ones whose inventions change the way we live.
There will be no two hour memorial service with follow up comments for them.
But as sad as that makes me feel I know that’s the way it is.
News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal
Yesterday was a very strange day in Pigeon Falls. A large wooly elephant walked down the main street but before anybody could get a gun it just stopped and exploded. All that was left was a puddle of water.
Over at the Lake of the Loons a huge black spider had come out of the woods and exploded. Other explosions were heard and there were large puddles of water where they weren’t expected to be.
The DNR man suggested that some bacteria or virus had infected them causing them to die and explode. He noted that some might be resistant since more seemed to have come through the doorway than could be accounted for by the explosions.
There in Tommy UK’s room stood a man dressed in black. He told Tommy that he needed Tommy’s help in closing the doorway. He was convinced that once the other dimensional creatures became resistant to whatever it was that was causing them to explode without warning then they would invade. They had to close the doorway before that could happen. The future of Pigeon Falls depended on it.

Wrap UP
This was a really rough breathing day. I spent most of it next to the oxygen concentrator. It has gotten a bit better as the day has gone on. But I still need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
**************************************************

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Dr. John. MJ so deserved this coverage. If there is one person on the face of the earth that changed our entertainment industry it was him. Especially the video and music end of it. He donated more to charities than any other celeb. He was such an enigma that people couldn't get enough of him. He will be a legend. Yes I agree there are other people that deserve mention in the news etc. But MJ has been in our lives for 40 years. He just didn't come into the spotlight. We have seen him grow up right before our eyes.

2:04 AM  
Blogger anthonynorth said...

Yes, I agree. It went over the top. Even in the UK, two of the five terrestrial channels carried it.

2:50 AM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

Ok, perhaps Michael Jackson was a "giant" in his field. But all this coverage is, in my humble opinion, simply overkill.

4:59 AM  
Blogger Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Overkill indeed!

5:17 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

Ditto. The news coverage was 100 times too much. The memorial, well, half as many channels would have been OK because most of us can only watch one channel at a time. We are being told how important he was. Hey, those of us who are interested already get it. Those who don't, don't, won't.

6:04 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

I agree with you. This whole thing has been overkill. I have no problem with people loving him for whatever reasons they have, but he was not a god. He was an entertainer. I just wish I didn't have to have him invade all of my senses constantly.

6:17 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I got a lot of housework done because all that was on tv was the funeral service. Perhaps we should start FTV-Funeral TV just for funerals so the other stations don't have to interrupt their regular programming. You can do the play by play and the sermon.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with you. While I liked his songs, I was not a fan as such. My daughter and I watched, but we tended to make nasty comments about somethings said. I appreciate his helping charity but other "stars" do so also without all the hoopla. All the praise that was being heeped on him made me think they were trying to over do it to mask the other "stuff" he was accused of doing. And to the that the media is still rehashing it. Ugh. enough. There is more important stuff going on in the world.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Gattina said...

I think the same as Thom. Of course it is not necessary that ALL your channels showed the same but they knew why ! This catches much more audience than a visit of a president to Russia or the meeting of the G8 clowns.
I watched the memorial service first life in Germany, then they stopped, so I continued in France and ended up with CNN. I have seen it from the beginning until the end and found it very touching and very respectfully done. My son (now 36) had been a big fan when he was 14/15 and still is, he even had booked for the show in London, but instead of a confirmation of his ticket, he heard that Michael had died.
If you listen to the texts of his songs like to make this world a better world I think he was a great poet, music maker and dancer ! All in one !

8:39 AM  
Blogger Cherie said...

I managed to miss most of the coverage. Knew it was going on, of course, but see even here it's unavoidable. What are we talking about? The fact that we're tired of talking about MJ. While I was avoiding all the coverage, I still managed to have a similar conversation with a friend. Hopefully the poor man can now rest in peace. His family can get on with the process of grieving, which is horrendous regardless of how famous or obscure the loved one is. And the rest of us can get on with such mundane things like G8 summits, US drones hitting targets in Pakistan, babies being born, the joy of fireflies, and summer BBQs, etc ...

We now resume our normal programming...

10:46 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

I didn't watch it myself, as I was never a big fan of Michael, Michael was a good singer, and changed music forever, but he just wasn't one of my favorites.

Now that he is gone, hopefully they will forget the bad and only remember the good.

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I kept the TV off. Cheri at Blog This Mom! had some really useful things to say with which I agree.
http://blogthismom.blogspot.com/2009/06/mourning-michael-jackson-celebrity.html

2:07 PM  
Blogger Mimi Lenox said...

I'd like to invite you to play The Queen's Meme every Tuesday with Mimi Queen of Memes.
The fun begins next week on July 14, 2009. I will send another reminder to everyone on Monday.
The Queen's Meme

I hope you will join us!
Mimi Lenox

5:20 PM  
Blogger aims said...

I watched the memorial Dr. John because I enjoyed his music and because with his death a part of my (terrible) past died too. For me it was part of my own memorial I think.

I have always wished that everyone had just left the man alone. Unfortunately the mania will continue for years to come.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

I totally GET ya Dr. J! But... I didn't see a minute of it! LOL! Someone once taught me how to use the OFF button ... and I never stopped! :)

I KNEW it was the MIB!!! I KNEW it! Oh this is getting EXCITING now! Man! Tommy UK has actually TALKED to him! AND he needs Tommy's HELP! WOW! That could reallllly go to a teenager's head!

I am so sorry you had a bad breathing day today... Are you allowed to do an extra breathing treatment like mid-day when you have a really bad day?

6:50 PM  
Blogger Maude Lynn said...

You are so right, Dr. John!

7:07 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I was no fan either and did not watch any of the coverage yesterday. Overkill is right. A few channels would have been plenty.

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Alice Audrey said...

And I was so sure they were exploding because of something the man in black was doing.

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home