Thursday, April 16, 2009

Real Senator

Today's Link
He & Me + 3

Today's Saying
Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato

Today's Picture
Ella -Telling the dog about Church

It is Quilly day. Time to take Quilly’s three words for the day and write a story. The words are sublunary; comity; & specious Click on a word for a definition.

A Real Senator
( Please note no real Senator would act like the Senator in this story)
Senator Bob found a certain sublunary pleasure in insulting his opponents. He was often accused of breaking the code of comity expected of a Senator but he didn’t care. But this time he had gone too far . He had hit the good Senator from Missouri in the nose with the Senate Rule Book. The Senator had dared to point out that his budget argument was specious at best or else just plain stupid. He deserved a poke in the nose. Nevertheless his colleagues had voted to censure him.
They voted to censure HIM.
Thus he was in a rather tenebrous mood when it was time to vote on the amendment to the budget put forth by the Senator from Missouri.
He was the last one to vote and the amendment needed one vote to pass.
He believed the amendment to be a good one and even a necessary one and he should vote for it. But he really hated the author. This was his chance to get even and they couldn’t censure him for it.
He pondered long and hard trying to decide what to do.
Then he voted for the amendment. He may have lacked civility but he didn’t lack common sense.

And of course with Quilly's words comes the required quivel. Remember to write quivel you must write something that looks like a poem, any style , but is so bad that if it was printed in a book of poetry a true poetic zoilist would tear it out and burn it. What looks like bad haiku is really qiku where the middle line must always contain a Quilly word.

Truth will Out

The lack of comity was seen
Caught on a movie screen
specious speeches were made
Sublunary they would fade
Truth alone would hold the field
Righteousness would never yield

Behave
Comity code
Rebel

Talks
Specious
Looks

World
Sublunary
Me

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal
It has been a very quiet week in Pigeon Falls. The elusive white rabbit is back where it belongs but working better than ever, a parting gift from Mark. The ghost piano player has been playing Easter music and the concerts have been marvelous. The poltergeist has behaved most of the time. The dragons have been flying over every night on a regular schedule and the whale was in the lake from Monday afternoon until Tuesday evening.
There really hasn’t been much for the new constable to do.He did have a drunk to take home on Monday night from the Fly Inn. The Fly Inn seems to get a rowdier bunch of drinkers than the Happy Pigeon.But since the constable has been stopping in every night they have calmed down a bit.
Tommy UK’s and Tammy’s parents think they are getting too involved with each other but don’t have the slightest idea how to stop it.. They are so in love . The parents have made suggestions but the two kids aren’t hearing them.
Bob Mattson is missing three cows. He doesn’t believe they just wondered away but they are gone. Nobody has ever stolen a cow in Pigeon Falls before. A few cars have been stolen but never a cow.

Wrap UP
Of course the dragons will be busy today you can see them HERE.
Maggie didn't get to go to church on Easter so when we got back Ella had to tell her all about it. Maggie really liked the part about the pink birds. Now she wants to go to church.
I had a good morning. My sister Dawn called. In the afternoon Betty and Ella went to the ladies Bible study at Church. Edward, Maggie and I were left home. Then I got sick to my stomach. I spent the rest of the afternoon in the bathroom or laying down. i didn't get all my blog visits done. But I'll try tomorrow. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
*************************************************************

16 Comments:

Anonymous quilly said...

Tell Bob that dragons get hungry.

And my blog stats tell me that today somebody searched my blog looking for the definition for quivel! That gave me a laugh.

1:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Three cheers for common sense :)

2:06 AM  
Blogger A Lady's Life said...

First time here...amazing blog...will be back...good work...excellen writing

3:06 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

It looks like you are making Quivel famous.

4:09 AM  
Blogger Baron's Life said...

not sure what to think on this one...but thinking I AM

5:25 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Oh you make up the BEST tall tales! Real Senator is just a fabulous story!

Soon the drunks will have the constable taking shots and he'll become the NEW town drunk! (somebody has to replace Herman...) DO dragons eat beef? Quilly could be on to something... I just didn't think dragons ate BEEF. I could be wrong.

I'm so happy that Ella and Maggie are getting along so well! Ella and Jewl didn't really hit it off. Ella thought Jewl might EAT her! It was nice of Ella to share about the flamingos! Now Maggie can have sweeeeet dreams about chasing giant pink birds! I bet she licks her lips while she's sleeping!

6:53 AM  
Blogger aims said...

Three cows are missing...hmmmmmm....

I'm wondering if He and Me have them?

8:38 AM  
Blogger Raven said...

Love the Senator's story! Ah, politics....

Nice that Ella is visiting.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Ordinarily Just Me said...

Hey Dr. John. The story was great, though I have to say I loved the quote by plate. It is so true.
OJM

1:21 PM  
Blogger Vicky said...

Oh lets hope NO senator would act in this fashion, but I am not always so sure! As always, you delight with so much in such short order. Thanks for sharing!

1:50 PM  
Blogger juliana said...

a moral senator! now that's news

2:17 PM  
Blogger Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

I love Ella!

2:45 PM  
Blogger Jientje said...

I'm really too tired for politics right now, it's after midnight, but I enjoyed your Quivel, and Ella made me smile!

3:05 PM  
Blogger Cherie said...

First class quivel! And I'm so glad that Ella's telling Maggie all about church. They're too cute together! :) Hope the stomach thing is short term and that you feel better soon.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

Who's Edward? Is that the elephant? I thought he was Elmer?
I'm sorry you weren't feeling well... I feel strongly that is worth forgiving any unvisited blogs!

Guess what? My OTHER friend John WOKE UP from his coma this evening!!! I've been dancing around the house praising God and singing His praise at the top of my LUNGS!!! I am soooooooo HAPPY!!! It was exactly 7 weeks to the day! He had his surgery the day after Ash Wednesday! He's got a lot of work to do -- YOU know about that! But he's AWAKE!!! PRAISE JESUS!!!

7:19 PM  
Blogger bettygram said...

I also noticed the change in name of Ella's new friend. She did have a good time at the bible study.

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home