Real Facts Again
Saying for the day: A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. ~Douglas Adams
Today I perform my weekly public service. I give you fifteen internet facts . These are things that you can astonish your friends with. Of the fifteen “facts” one is a “real fact”. Past real facts have included the Mona Lisa has no eyebrows , Jimmy Carter was the first US. President to be born in a hospital., the original name of Bank of America was Bank of Italy, Gatorade was developed in Florida, the simplest and most popular cosmological model predicts that you have a twin in a galaxy about 10 to 10 to the 28 meters from here, the original Celsius scale had boiling at 0 and freezing at 100, and a rampant Rhino tried to mate with a Renault Laguna in a British Safari Park.
. . But the facts I make up could be true. I am a really good maker upper. In any case you can tell your friends “ It must be true because I read it on the internet. Today’s list:
1. In 1899 Wisconsin was the first state to pass a compressive horse protection act.
2. The first “ Annual International Paper Airplane Contest” took place in London England in 1963. It was won by a fifteen year old American.
3. The oldest Lutheran Church building in America still being used for worship is in Crosslake, Minnesota.
4. The first Lutheran Church to be built in America was built in 1756. It is now a museum
5. Popular Science Magazine is a merge of “ House of Science“ and “ Science for Everybody“.
6. The largest Northern Pike ever caught weighed one hundred twenty two pounds and was six feet long..
7. Under the Wisconsin Horse Protection Act it was illegal to leave a horse outside if the temperature was below zero Fahrenheit.
8. Oranges are not native to Florida but were brought by the Spanish explorers.
9. The inventor of the jet plane got the idea from watching balloons fly when you filled them and left go without tying them off.
10. An old pulpit supposedly used by the Rev. Jeremiah Wright sold on eBay for eleven thousand dollars.
11. The pygmy orchid found only in the jungles of Brazil is the rarest flower in the world.
12. Other than man only horses can see colors. All other animals see shades of gray.
13. Most Lionel trains are now built in Mexico.
14. The highest recorded jump by an elephant is one foot seven inches.
15. The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency, has pledged $300,000 to pay for the flying of one hundred paper airplanes from the International Space Shuttle back to earth.
There you have our fifteen internet facts. One is for sure true. The others could be because I make up good stuff. Can you pick out the “ real fact”.
#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal . Yesterday Nancy and Tommy TW saw Kootenay
Lake for the first time. It was so much bigger than the Lake of the Loons that it almost took their breath away. That’s when they saw the whale. Regardless of what Sergeant York said it was a real whale. Nancy had been on an ocean cruise and had seen whales and this was a whale. Then it dove and was gone.
Back at Pigeon Falls Tommy UK had the Tommy Club stop chasing rabbits for the day and join him in a project. He wanted to be sure that the whale they saw was the same whale every time. So he got a paintball gun and filled it with special paint balls that would leave a bright orange stain on the whale that would last for several days. He assured the Club it would not be harmful to the whale. So they had waited yesterday afternoon until the whale surfaced and then shot it. The paint ball broke on the back of the whale leaving a big orange circle. The whale didn’t even seem to notice. After a time disappeared under the water. Tommy and the Tommy Club will be back to check again tomorrow.
Yesterday saw several more people try the Liar’s Club local contest. Their scores were so low their stories won’t be printed here. Where have all the great Liar’s gone?
Buddy East reminded the members of the July 20th deadline on the internet contest. So far there are only two entries. But those two entries are better than most of the local stories they are hearing.
The House funeral will be held Tuesday at Last Lutheran. Burial will follow in the old cemetery next to her father and mother.
Today's Link-The Swan Speaks- She won a writer's contest
The one "real fact" will be revealed tomorrow . I had a great day today. I spent the morning reading. Then we left The fortress. We went to Stein's. What a joy. So many flowers. We didn't buy any but just riding my scooter through them was fun. After that we went to Jo Ann's Fabrics so Betty and Pennie could load up on sale items as that store was moving. I was bored but the ladies have to have some fun. Then we went to Blueberry Hill for luch and I had the world's worst waffle. From there to Barnes and Noble. Then back home. I went back to reading and finished the fourth book in my summer reading. Just one left to go. Now I need a breathing treatment.
Betty's niece, niece's husband, and new baby.