Sunday, June 29, 2008

I can not not believe

Saying for the day: He does not believe who does not live according to his belief. ~Thomas Fuller

Why do I believe in Jesus?

Some people believe in Jesus because they want to go to Heaven.
That seems reasonable.
Heaven sounds like a nice place to go.
But that’s not why I believe.

Some people believe in Jesus because they want to stay out of Hell.
That seems reasonable.
Hell doesn’t sound like a nice place to go.
But that’s not why I believe.

Some people believe in Jesus because they want to impress other people.
That sounds reasonable.
It is good to have people think highly of you.
But that’s not why I believe.

Some people believe in Jesus because ma or pa or grandma or grandpa believed.
That seems reasonable.
It is good to follow after those you love.
But that’s not why I believe.

I don’t think much about Heaven or Hell.
I’m not afraid of dying.
I don’t care what people think . I never have.
I loved my grandparents and my parents but their faith was their faith.

I believe in Jesus because
Long ago now
When I was lost, scared, and confused.
When I was sure there was no God and the world made no sense at all.
Jesus put his arms around me and said
“ John I love you”.

From that time on unfaith was not an option.
I could no longer not believe.
I had felt His love and His pain.
I knew what that love cost.
Unfaith was not an option.

Rebellion was an option.
Running was an option.
But to avoid the cross the world had for me I had to turn my back on the joy.
For in Him was a joy and a peace the world could not ever give me.
Unfaith was not an option.

So I have spent my life sharing that joy with as many people as possible.
I have rejoiced as some responded.
I have cried as others turned away.
I know what He has to give.
I know how much He loves .
Unfaith is not an option.

#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal . Nancy and Tommy TW spent the second day of their vacation boating on Kootenay Lake. The tour boat leader gave them a history of the area and pointed out significant parts of it’s history like the cherry grooves. Then without any warning there was a whale swimming alongside the boat. They could have reached out and touched it. It swam alongside for almost a half an hour.
Tommy UK called Nancy last night. His father has Vonage and it costs him nothing extra to call anywhere in the United States or Canada. He asked Nancy about the whale she saw. He was very disappointed to discover that it had no orange spot. He was so sure it was the same whale. It just fit the driblet so nicely.
Today Tommy UK is the acolyte at Last Lutheran Church. He will light the candles, handle the offering plates, and assist at Communion. Tommy UK takes this responsibility very seriously, most of the time. He does enjoy Pastor Joan’s preaching.
Bonnie McGregor was in Church this morning. This made Pastor Joan a bit nervous. Seminary never taught her anything about delivering babies. She felt better when she saw that Nurse Practitioner Mrs. Koski was in Church as well.
******

Today's Link-Lemonholm- A look at Hell
Woops! I almost forgot to give the real fact from yesterdays list. It is number fifteen. The paper airplanes are to be made of a special chemically treated paper that can withstand 400 degree temperatures.
Is was a kind of sad day. Pastor Seim who has been our Pastor for a year preached his last sermon with us. Our new full time Pastor is coming in the middle of July. Pastror Seim was a good preacher and a very nice person. After church we went grocery shopping. Then I worked on St. Mark's website. I could not get the last hymn of the day which was God Be With You Till we Meet Again to play in the background. The code I used for this blog did not work on the website. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
Pastor Seim-

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Tommy UK needs to make sure the paint in the paintballs are oil based next time.

5:22 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

Nice summary of your faith life. Would that we all were so clear.

6:54 AM  
Blogger Lone Grey Squirrel said...

A wonderfully written testimony. You said it so clearly what are important reasons to believe and what are not and you also laid out clearly what few options for our response. Wonderful.

7:11 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Dr. J, I've always loved your down to earth, honest perspective on your faith and you put so clearly what it means. I am sure you have blessed more lives with your ministry than you will ever know.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

Maybe it's a plague of whales!

I'd never have guessed the true fact.

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. John, your description of why you believe is excellent. Have you ever wished in frustration that you could order that experience for others? (Yes, I can pray for it, and do, but I want a little more control than that ....)

12:27 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

I'm with Quilly! I'd like to hand deliver that experience to my family - each of them. Personally. And I agree so totally... Unfaith is NOT an option!

This is what I was afraid of... two whales. Or more. I bet one is just a baby. Sad as it is, somebody is just going to have to PLUG that tunnel... and do it while the baby is on the Mama's side! Oh... HOW sad for Pigeon Falls...

1:14 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

Oh! By the way. I'm HOME!!!

1:15 PM  
Blogger tsduff said...

Oh - the whale is a different one. That paintball was a good idea - like banding a bird.

Your faith is a gift. I had a very strong faith for many years. Now it is gone. I didn't believe it was possible to lose one's faith, but it is.

3:50 PM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

I was just outside weed wacking and pondering...pondering whether someone can be a Biblical literalist and not be doing what Jesus commanded. I guess your quote speaks to that.

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am always astounded by the faith of humans. It is a deep core of who we are as people on this earth. Beautiful post.

5:19 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

alas Dr John,
it's not so much about what or who you believe in, or why
It's about what is

And one can't go to heaven if there is no heaven, nor can one go to hell if there is no hell

But how is it that some days here on earth feel like heaven, whilst other days feel like hell - to each one of us individually at the same time.

Take those who love hot summer days, you know skimpy swim suits and a cool breeze down the beach - whilst others swelter in the City.

Take those who take the freezing winter days as an opportunity to practice their favourite sport skiing or snowboarding - whilst others freeze in the City, and think the world is gonna come crashing down round their ears because the car won't start, or because they can't get the car out of the drive, or because they hit some black ice on the highway and they are headed for a car crash - 'smash'

How many love Jesus and want Jesus to love them - yet they hate other people for a myriad reasons - which is somewhat contrary to the teachings of Jesus.

I think the saying was:
"If you wanna be with me, be like me" - now that is a good Mantra, but of course Jesus and any all seeing all knowig God would have been well versed in the hindu Vedas.

1:48 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Awwww! Pastor Paul sits down on the floor with the kids for the children's service too - when he does it! Usually the youth minister does it though -- and she's very good too! But she doesn't sit on the floor with them!

7:56 AM  
Blogger MedStudentWife said...

I like the look of Patstor Sim.. he seems to be a good man. And to come down to the level of the children - thats a special communication skill

All the best to him on his next journey and the best to the new pastor who will fill his shoes and to forge their unique way.

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home