Saturday, May 03, 2008

String Theory

Saying for the Day: a scientific theory is:"... a synthesis of a large body of information that encompasses well-tested and verified hypotheses about certain aspects of the natural world."

I have spent the last couple of days in deep philosophical and scientific thought. I and the science world have been shaken by a surfer dude’s attack on string theory.
String theory as I am sure you know is the prevailing understanding of what makes sense out of the little tiny particles that make up our universe.
Now for those of you who have never heard of string theory , and I doubt given the quality of my readership that is very many of you,
I will give you a quick explanation. String theory holds that our universe and our world are really very small objects in a far bigger universe . In this universe we are contained in a large ball of string in some old ladies drawer. This means instead of the usual four dimensions you are used to there are ten or eleven dimensions. That’s because string can be rolled forward, backward, up, down inside other string, around the string, and in several other ways.
In any case that was the accepted theory until this guy who spends his time surfing, snow boarding, and thinking about the universe came up with the “Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything”. He published it and the fight began.
Now this theory holds that the movement of those tiny particles can be explained by taking the average number of things your wife buys on a shopping trip and placing them in a mathematical structure called E8.
See how simple that is. It has only four dimensions even though E8 has 248 dimensions. To map E8 took 77 hours of super computer time and 60 gigabytes of disk space.
The fight over the two theories has been fierce. Scientists actually hollered at one another in a less than civil manner.
As I see it there are three possibilities.
1. Both theories are wrong. I hope not because then some other dude will have to give us another theory. .This theory might come from a dude in Kansas who wraps bubble gum. It will be called "The Sticky Qwark Theory of Universal Togetherness" based on E3 instead of E8. This will lead to more shouting and name calling
2. One is right and the other is wrong. But then they have to prove it. The proof has to be acceptable to the other side. Forget it, these are scientists and never admit to being wrong. Unless there is a government grant involved.
3. The view of reality on which both theories rest is wrong. If you are trying to build a theory that really reflects reality but the reality you reflect isn’t real you can never ever make it. If the man who thinks he is Napoleon keeps getting ready for the big battle it will not bring the battle. His reality isn’t real.
I hope this has helped to clarify things a bit for you.

C-My Grandson Caleb-Pat's youngest son.






C-Christine-My Younger Sister


C-Car-My Dads
C-Car-My Grandmother's

#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. Lots of excitement in Pigeon Falls last night. The dragon flew over but it wasn’t the Pigeon Falls dragon. It was bigger and looked different. It flew down the main street breathing fire. Somebody remarked that Pigeon Falls might be on the route of the dragons. You can look for that on a T-shirt before long. However, two dragons do not make a route but then accuracy was never important when there was money to be made. The museum people were unhappy because nobody got a picture of the new dragon. It flew off in the direction of Mt. Hillary.
Bonnie McGregor has only three months and a little to go before the babies are due. Everything is still going very well. Her two daughters are helping in every way that they can and even Russel is doing the best he can. He is helping with the laundry and last weekend he even cleaned the living room.
The Petrovich’s have gone to Green Bay to visit her mother. This is keeping the rumor that she is pregnant with twins alive. Of course, it could just be her mother’s birthday or something like that. Truth never did stop rumor.
The Tommy Club left this morning to search for that cave again. Tommy UK says he has narrowed the search area. This time they will find it. His father insisted that he take with him a GPS so that if Mt. Hillary shifts he can find his way home. It beats bread crumbs.
*******

Today's Link-And Miles to Go Before I Sleep- You will enjoy this.
Good day today. Oxygen was up a bit. My grandspns were here. I didn't get any time for blog visiting.We had lots of help getting the heavy eBay track packages out. WE went out for luch. Tonight's closing picture is from that lunch. Then we went to Menards and bought some shovels. My grandsons then dug out along the fence so we can plant flowers there. We bought dirt to put in and some climbing roses. They did a good job. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA





10 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

I am curious if the town roofer has gotten alot of business changing asphalt roofs to something fire proof. Have homeowners insurance rates gone up in Pigeon Falls?

5:54 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

30 miles from here, there is lab, 1/2 mile underground that is trying to measure some minute particle, maybe quarks or something. I suppose those people believe in their theory too; that's why they are there, in the cold underground room, trying to get more government grants.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

Phew! I have to read this one again, then I might understand.

I like your alphabet photo series.

9:25 AM  
Blogger tsduff said...

I just like the Horton Hears A Who theory :)

9:41 AM  
Blogger Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Never liked the string theory and this new one seems little better. I think your third possibility is the most likely.

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you complained when I posted more than one photo for my alphabet!

12:53 PM  
Blogger Nessa said...

I like string cheese.

I like all of your C's. I posted some pictures because Quilly was harassing me.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Huh? (This is in response to the string theory).

6:22 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Thank you for the 90 second explanation of the string theory. I once watched a two hour program on the topic and still didn't understand it completely.

Now I'm married to an "old scientist" so don't be knocking these fellows who are incredibly hard working and love what they do, including the arguing.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

I'm really glad you set me straight on the theorem... I once was lost, but now I'm found!

Great bunch of C's ya got there -- do you have relatives who's name or middle initial begin with X? And if so, could I BORROW one?

3:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home