Saturday, January 05, 2008

A Public Service Announcement

Saying for the day: Things are not always what they seem.

There are hundreds of old people out there with the following condition:
The brain's ability to function quickly deteriorates. The brain works harder but operates less effectively: concentration levels drop, and memory becomes impaired.
Similarly, the brain's ability to problem solve is greatly impaired. Decision-making abilities are compromised, and the brain falls into rigid thought patterns that make it difficult to generate new problem-solving ideas
They think they are going senile or have early unset Alzheimer's .
But the good news is they don’t.
What they have is a lack of sleep.
They just aren’t sleeping enough.
Recent research has shown that people need eight to nine hours of good sleep a night. Failure to get this sleep over an extended period leads to the results listed above.
A single night of good sleep does not begin to reverse the effects.
So if you have senile like symptoms take a look at your sleeping habits.
It may be that what you need is a good night’s sleep and then another.

#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. Josh Williams will be having lots of company this weekend. He has a dish and gets the NFL sports network. That means he will have all of the playoff games available to him.
Now you might think that Pigeon Falls being a Packer town couldn't care less because the Packers don’t play until next week end. You would be wrong.
Packer fans want to know who Green Bay will be playing and they need therefore to know who wins this weekend. But they want more than that they want to see that team play. That way they can worry all week about the Packer’s ability to beat them.
But even if the Packers weren’t playing next weekend football fans love a game. They love to pick sides and cheer. Pigeon Falls fans are no different. So you can go to Josh William’s House or the Fly Inn ( it has a dish) and the season isn’t over.
********

Today's Link-Table for Five- Another smart kid remark
Another hard breathing day. But we went off to Menards and got some more Styrofoam for the layout. Then I worked on the layout all afternoon while Betty and Pennie went shopping. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't found your email address, so I'll send a message this way. Wanted to let you know that we have arrived in Florida. Will be here for two months. Have a tee time this afternoon at 4:00. The temperature will be in the 70's. Keep blogging. I read it every day.

Sue

5:17 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

So sleep is my problem.

Nothing out there like a true Packer fan.

6:04 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Thank you! Now I can tell folks I'm not stupid, I'm just tired.

6:31 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I'm glad to know that I don't have early senility or Alzheimer's and that I'm just over tired.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

I wanted to go out to dinner tonight. My hubby told me that football was on tonight. I said your teams not playing so we could go out. He said, there's football on tonight. We're ordering in.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Only because I recently am going through this and have researched. Insomnia or lack of sleep is a symptom of both Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease.

This symptom can make either disease escalate for the lack of sleep disturbs dopamine production.

However, if you suspect this could be the case - go to the Doctor and see a neurologist as soon as you can. They have some new medications out that can halt the progression of either disease.

Much like cancer catching it early on in the first stages will greatly improve your prognosis.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

When did the experts change the required amount of sleep from 6 hrs to 8 or 9 hrs? I always thought 6 hrs was never enough and would try to sleep at least 8 hrs if I could. Thank you for Sharing Dr John, one always learns from your posts.

Margaret I am going to mention this to my Doctor on Wednesday when I see him, though I think my lack of sleep is from stress and having a job I don't like.

Blessings to you and Betty for a wonderful weekend.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Middle Ditch said...

Thank goodness for that! I'm not going mad after all! Thank you for reassuring me that I just need a little bit more sleep!

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. John, where did you read that stuff about sleep? O'Ceallaigh needs to see it!

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for linking to my post! It's always nice to meet another MidWestern blogger :)

12:14 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

You've heard me mention my grandmother who is 97. A few years ago she was dancing at my neice's wedding. (It was more a matter of my brother and I holding her up to the music, but she danced until she was exhausted.) As I put her back in her wheelchair, I said, "Well, Grandma, you are sure going to sleep well tonight."
She caught her breath and said, "It's not the sleeping I worry about... it's the waking up."
She's a funny lady.

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home