Monday, January 07, 2008

Once I was sick and?

Saying for the day:Walk backwards in a circle with a piece of brown paper soaked with vinegar on your forehead.( Old remedy for headache)
Yesterday I visited a few of the links on my list.
I would recommend that you visit O’Ceallaigh & the Quill and see the Epiphany musical that O’Ceallaigh wrote. My question to you is would your church choir and youth group be willing to perform it? Why or why not?

Then I visited the Old Fart’s Blog. He has been sick and wrote about some childhood remedies used in his family.

This got me to thinking of family remedies from my childhood. As a child I had spasmodic croup . There were no antibiotics then, not even Penicillin, So when the attacks came and they were severe all the family had were old home remedies. First thing my dad did when the spasms started was to give me a half a shot glass of whiskey. This burned like heck going down but it loosened the phlegm that was causing the spasm and I would cough up big globs of white stuff. It was horrible ( might be why I hate whiskey to this day).Then my mother rubbed my chest with the magic cure everything Vick’s Vapo Rub. Over that she placed a wool cloth soaked in hot camphorated oil. Then they turned on the vaporizer next to my bed. It must have worked because I’m still alive.
The Vicks and the camphorated oil were used for any cold or cough.
Did your family have any family remedies? Think about it.

#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. The tree burning went well at Last Lutheran. Nothing extra cut on fire and the congregation sang camp songs as it burned. It was a great Epiphany celebration.
Over at the Fly Inn the dish worked the way it was supposed to. The patrons got to watch Tampa Bay lose to the Giants. Now they hope Green Bay will win next weekend and Dallas will lose. Then the final game before the Super Bowl will be played in Green Bay. Bob Maki says he can get three tickets but there so expensive he can’t afford to fly to Dallas after buying the tickets. He can also get a ticket to the Super Bowl. So if Green Bay gets into the Super Bowl he will borrow the money and fly. It’s a once jn a lifetime experience so it’s worth mortgaging the house for.
On the day of the Super Bowl the youth group of Last Lutheran is planning a Souper Sunday. They will have a soup and lunch after the last service. All the money raised will go to World Hunger.Sometime the youth have to remind the adults of what is really important.
*******

Today's Link-Plain Jane Mom- Some thoughts on Network News-
Better breathing day as my oxygen levels were up. I worked in the basement laying track until I ran out of track. Then I came up and ordered some. In the afternoon Betty worked on the layout and I got five items ready to sell on eBay. I photographed them. Then Betty weighed them. Then I spent over an hour listing them. Item by item they go, part of my history. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

11 Comments:

Blogger Cheerio said...

Hi! Happy New Year! I've been trying to get in touch with you but always get a failure notice with email address I sent you. If you don't mind can you email me your email address at ff_fnf@yahoo.com. There's something I would like to tell you. I'm an old friend the reason for my wanting to email you.
Thanks again.

6:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOooh! I want to go to the SOUPER SUNDAY LUNCH at Last Lutheran!
Ginger Brandy works well for that nasty chest cold.

6:12 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

I understand that Green Bay(the city) is celebrating this year.

6:16 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

I had chronic bronchitis as a kid and the "cure" was pretty much the same as yours for croup. I didn't get a shot of whiskey, but oh, how I remember going to sleep with the smell of Vicks in my nostrils and the hum of the vaporizor in my ears.

I bought some Vicks this past fall because I was seriously congested and it didn't seem the same to me. Have they tamed it down from the old days?

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, was swaddled in Vicks front and back, then a heavy flannel "vest" was fastened about me. Gram loved to feed me toast soaked in warm milk. I hate soggy bread and it was guaranteed to send me back to bed in tears, but it still took her a loooong time to figure out the soggy toast was causing more symptoms, not curing them!

Thanks for the link! I guess you really did like the song!

9:18 AM  
Blogger ArtsyTartsyViray said...

I have recently discovered the wonders that a mix of apple cider vinegar and honey work. It helps remedy a hoarse voice and when taken at the beginnings of a sore throat, it seems to lessen it.

My mother is also a true believer in Vicks Vapor Rub. I like to tell her that she should go to Vicks Rubbers Anonymous.

Hee hee..

11:51 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

We sat over a vick's filled hot water pan our heads covered with a towel. Vick's slathered on the chest and shoved in the nostrils. Fennel tea with honey for an upset tummy and warm lemonade with honey for a sore throat.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

We got the grease sock around the throat and the honey,lemon and whiskey. Grandma had remedies for just about everything. Because we seldom went to the Dr. I just about lost my finger due to one of her home remedies...haha

Selling off our history bit by bit is hard. Not sure I could do that, that is why my house is so cluttered. I tried to get the kids to take some pictures home with them. And I have some of Trevor's toys from when he was a kid, but they didn't have room to take it all.

So your breathing problems go all the way back to childhood. I would imagine that having croup all the time would be very hard on the lungs.

5:09 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Jon and I led the choir at our home church here in Savannah. The teens were a lot of fun to work with and they would have had a ball doing that little skit.

My old family remedies are too vast and crazy.. it will take a whole blog post to list them. Thanks for the blog fodder. =OP

7:31 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

I still use Vicks. If I or my kids have a cold with a cough I always get the jar of Vicks out. And the good news is..it still works!

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We were a healthy bunch of wild little kids so I have no home remedies. If we dared to get a cold we were just sent to bed. Glad to hear your oxygen levels were up!

3:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home