Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Labels, labels, labels

Saying for the day: For lack of a label the kingdom was lost.

When I was in my first parsonage I took movies.
I wanted to use some of the movies from our first parsonage Christmas on this blog.
The problem is that those movies are in 8mm and not on video tape.
I need to send them to a company that will transfer them to a DVD.
I stand ready to do that but there was a problem.
The boxes with the movies were stored somewhere in my son's garage, in boxes that were not clearly labeled.
So Peter had a hard time finding them.
But he did and he brought them here and I rejoiced.
In two boxes are pictures of long dead relatives, of Christmas's past, of my children's childhood.
Pictures I want to share.

So I opened the treasure boxes and discovered reel after reel of 200 feet of film.
They were all nicely spliced.
The only problem is they have no labels.
I have no idea of what is on which reel.
Labeling is one of those things I was going to do when I got a round to it.
Now in Crystal Falls, where the projector is, this would be no problem.
I would slip the movie in the projector and run a few feet then I would know what it was.
But the projector is in Crystal Falls ( not Pigeon Falls) and we are in Neenah.
I am sitting on a gold mine of images and I have nothing to mine them with.
There are far too many and I am very much too poor to send them all in to be converted.
So I sit here frustrated and unhappy because long ago I didn't take the five minutes I would have needed to label each reel as I finished it.
I feel so stupid.
Label , label, label or you will be sorry.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– The little town in my garage where the trains still run and the US army is in control– This is Day Four of what Mrs. Trumble is calling the” occupation“. Nobody from the town has been to the outside world and nobody from the outside world has been to the town since the “ occupation” began.
Petrovich is staying home since some people are blaming him for all of this. When Nancy asked him if he had anything to do with this he said “ Do I look like a shaman priest that I can make things happen? I just read the prophecy that’s all. I just read the prophecy”. Nancy figures it would take more than a shaman priest to get the army involved. Something else has to be going on.
Yesterday Eino met Tommy at the storage shed for the railroad’s speeder. It is at the end of an unused siding. Dr. Fortress left it there when they were working on the trestle at crippled creek. Eino and Tommy broke the lock on the shed and then Eino got the speeder started. Then they headed for Iron Mountain through the Crippled Creek pass. It took about fifteen minutes to reach the pass and they figured to be in Iron Mountain by early afternoon. Coming out of the pass , however, they made two discoveries. First the trestles and tracks were gone, vanished. Second in the distance they could see something they could not believe and should not be able to see. They rode the speeder back in silence. By late in the evening they were back in their respective homes both shaken by what they had seen.
****

Today's Link- One Guy's Thoughts- Remember to leave the words Dr. John in the comment to get those dreamy JCPOINTS. Check HERE for your total.
It was a good day. I finally added to my links , The Old Fart. Jan, and Happy and Blue2. I fixed Josie's link. I did some blog visiting. We got the last of the Christmas cards out and three packages. Then we went shopping and bought nothing . This does not help our Christmas gift situation. We are just doomed to fail this year. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

16 Comments:

Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I think it is writtan in an old, dusty Linna handbook somewhere,
"Linnas shall not label"

It is one of the laws, I am sure of it along with;

"Linnas shall get lost for at least two hours once a fort night" and

"Linnas shall only buy useless stuff and never get rid of it even if wife threatens with divorce."

So, do not sit there unhappy beause it was law so it was not your fault....you are not stupid, just a good citizen obeying the law.

5:37 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

you are one of the smartest man on earth. you are not stupid, you are human. we all have often forgotten to label. i know i have numerous stories and have caused me much headache and trouble too. it's hard to always be perfectly organized. i think considering how much you and Betty have done, in all the moving back and forth, the stress of financing, trying to sell the home, figuring all the paper work of so many angles, storing up one home in one town and trying to see in the future for things to take to another and all the much more that you have done, you did a great job. pat yourselves on the back. good job.

i'm sorry you can't watch the movies or share them just yet. i can read how frustrated you are, we understand for sure but don't worry, for before too long you will be able to get it all watched, enjoyed and shared...

something to look forward to.
*************
oh, i'm dying to know what Eino and Tommy saw..this cliff hanger is pretty interesting. all sorts of excitement in town these days. i hope it's not that something horrible happen to the dragon or rabbit...like them in cages or something..i can't wait to see how it turns out..
i tell you, you shall write a book..this is awesome.
*****************
hoping that you have a great day. i wish i could tell you i was done my preparations but no...keep at it today along normal everyday stuff..
good luck with yours.
hugs to you all. hope Betty is well. love all around.

5:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Label? What is a label?

I wonder if Eino and Tommy found the end of the world.

Still think Petrovich had something to do with it.

6:26 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

I never label anything either...so I would be in the same shape you are in. I always admired people who were so organized...but I am not one of them. ~sigh~

6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what Eino and Tommy saw. A miniature sleigh and eight tiny reindeer. :-)

6:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Auuuurrrrgh! You are killing me, just killing me with all the cliffhangers and mystery (including the unlabeled films).

8:15 AM  
Blogger Bella said...

Thank you for the wonderful Christmas card!

My grandmother did the same thing when she found her 8mm tapes. It took her years to figure out what was on what. She converted them one at a time to keep the cost down.

9:51 AM  
Blogger starbender said...

awwww, what a shame!
When VHS first came out, I copied ALOT of movies. Blank VHS tapes cost $22.50 each at that time. I had quite a few and no-one would insure them, so me and my bright idea---I didn't write what was on the tape---only a number. I had a master copy on paper, listing all of the tapes and what was on them!
My thinking---'If they were stolen, no-one would know what they had.'
Worked Great!!!!---until one day when the list was stolen along with one box of tapes!!! Now I have about 230 VHS tapes--all with 3 or 4 movies on them, and who knows what is what! I will NEVER do that again. It does pay 2 take those extra couple of minutes and do it right!
' ]

10:18 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

lol!
Dr John, So it's no longer
"My kingdom my kingdom for a horse"
"But the kingdom for lack of a comment lost"

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least you have the movies. And later you can transfer them to DVD..
Labels are for squares man, ha,ha..

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to add my thanks for the neat Christmas card. It arrived today. My daughter liked it, too. She checks out all my mail from you. She can't wait to see what you've sent.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Dr. John, even without the cliffhanger, I would have come back tomorrow.

3:32 PM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

The label story rings TRUE for me. Just wanted to stop by and wish you a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS! ~ jb///

3:48 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Dr John, When it comes to finding the mass of distant stars it is indeed important that we be precise. Especially if we want
to speculate further and/or 'draw' conclusions

After all, there's no room for error if we want to re-create one. lol!

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link, Dr. John!

I like organizing things, myself. I alphabetize my books and CD's. I'm somewhat lax in labeling however.

I thought, from the title of the post, that you may have been decrying the practice of putting labels on people which is a pet peeve of mine.

Best wishes, and I hope you can determine the contents of your reels! Have you tried holding them up to the light? It would be painstaking, I know, but perhaps worth the effort.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

When you get the chance, you'll be able to sit and have your films labelled.

Ok, now I am on the edge of my seat, and what is going to be happening in Pigeon Falls.

Blessings for a wonderful day.

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home