Friday, September 04, 2009

Some Thoughts on Blogging

Today's Saying
We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures. ~Thornton Wilder


Click HERE to get to my 55s

Just a reminder: Portrait of Words picture stories are due next Tuesday. You can see the pictures HERE . Give it a try.

It has been an interesting week.
I have spent part of it thinking about blogging.
I have considered my blog and your comments this week.
These are my observations.
1. AS many of you pointed out this is my blog and it should make me happy. I can’t disagree with you there.
When I fail to enjoy it I will put up a big Gone Fishing graphic and that will be that.
But that leads us to 2.
2. My mother loved to invite the “ girls” in for coffee. They came twice a month or so.
It was her house. She made the treats.
But she was concerned that her visitors like the house and really enjoy the treats.
She wanted them to be happy.
She didn’t have too. It was her house. She liked what she baked.
But it was still important.
When I visited at the homes of old parishoners who were probably the best cooks I have ever met it was important to them that I taste and enjoy what they had cooked up for my visit.
That’s the way it was.
It would be just as good if I didn’t like it but they wouldn’t be as happy.
To me blogging is like that.
My readers are the visitors I invite in.
I put in front of them the best stuff I can whip up.
But it is important to me that they like it.
It adds to the enjoyment of the blog.
I know it is my blog and I don’t have to care what you think but I do.
Dumb old me.
3. Comments are important to me. They tell me you were here. It’s funny but I even like negative comments. It means we are good enough friends for the truth to be told. So when Quilly takes a swipe at my poetry I rejoice. It deserves to be swiped at.
Comments are the neighbor not running through my yard but stopping for a cup of coffee.
Those are good neighbors..
Well those are my insights.
I could be wrong now but I don’t think so.

The piano that the ghost plays every morning needs tuning. It has slowly gone out of tune. Old Ilmari Noronen who tunes most of the pianos in Pigeon Falls won't touch it. He says it is too fancy and he doesn't have the right tools but rumor has it he is afraid of ghosts.
Mrs. Trumble has a piano tuner coming from Iron Mountain. It's going to cost $100 but he assured her he has the right tools and will have no trouble in the tuning. She didn't mention the ghosts. She did arrange for him to come in the afternoon when the ghost is quiet and the shoes just sit there.
The ghost groupies don't seem to care that the piano is out of tune but the museum volunteers have and it bothers them. They worry that it will keep getting worse until the piano simply can't be played then they will lose a large source of musuem income. It's always about the money.
When my day isn't totally boring I will do an occasional wrap up. Today we took our savings from the Credit Union to our new bank and began the process of changing financial institutions. Now that I exist we completed the forms at the new bank and started the process of having our direct deposits moved there as well. We looked into refinancing the house and discovered we could go from the 7.11 % we are now paying to 4 % so we started that process.
Then we went and picked up my new glasses which are just great. After that we had a coupon for one free lunch so went and ate there. I had fried chicken, mashed potatoes , hot rolls, and a desert while Betty had a chicken dumpling and a chicken alla king plus rolls and desert. We each had a glass of soda. The total cost for my free lunch and her lunch was $8.00. That included two cards that will get us 10% off on every meal we have there for the next year. Sometimes free really is free.
From there it was to Barnes and Noble where I bought a comic book. Finally it was back to the Fortress. One great day for me.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you observe very well about blogging. I enjoyed your take on this :) I also like people to be open and honest and say exactly what they want. There's no better way. I don't know what's going on with my google reader but Pigeon Falls comes up by itself so I left a comment but I don't see it here. I'm so confused. Nothing new and different. But here's what I said:

Hmmm let's hope the tuner from Iron Mountain isn't afraid of Ghosts. Is it a relative of Casper by chance?

Have a great Friday :)

1:19 AM  
Blogger Drahdrah said...

I think balance is the key to alot of things including blogging. It's always nice when guests enjoy your blog, but you will never please everyone, and that's ok too. It would be nice if we were living in a little less of the "me" generation and people cared a little more about each other, like you seem to. I'm loving your wisdom.

3:28 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

Well, ok, I read here and on another on-line group, that blogs are supposed to be interactive, therefore leave comments and then, they claimed, good blog etiquette dictates that the blogger is supposed to respond. But that can get out of hand, time-wise. I DO check your blog every day. I comment sometimes. But I don't respond to every comment on my blogs, that's just too much.

5:31 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Dearest Darlingest Dr. John... do you NOT know that we ALL enjoy your blog - regardless of how it's set up - because we enjoy YOU! It is the content - the words from your heart - the incredible knowledge and love that you share. Your wit, your wisdom, your insight. We love YOU! THAT is why we come and why we comment. If you turned your blog upside down and typed it backwards... we would work harder - but we would still love it! Because we love YOU!

And we LOVE Pigeon Falls! And something tells me the ghost might not WANT his piano tuned... just a hunch.

5:43 AM  
Blogger Finding Pam said...

I think Melli says it best about your blog. I enjoy the good sense that you give us and especially Pigeon Falls. Don't go fishing.

Your strengths are you wisdom, your kindness and your insight into people plus your incredible writing style is superb.

Three Cheers for Dr. John.

I hope you and Betty have a great Labor Day weekend.

6:11 AM  
Blogger Lou said...

I agree with this, especially about comments. I welcome all viewpoints, and while I don't answer, I often think them over. Your reasoned comments are particularly welcome.

I like the diversity in your blog. I know it is not going to be the same old thing, you mix it up. I don't read everything (Pigeon Falls..sorry) but there is enough to keep me interested. I like your no nonsense, but gentle, style. Sunday "sermons" are excellent.

If it gets to be a chore, then give it up.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Those are wonderful thoughts on your blog, and very sincere and heartfelt. I think that definitely comes through in your blog as well. I know I feel very blessed to have found you!

May you continue to be true to yourself and blog about what you enjoy, because that's what we love to!

God bless Dr. John!
Trudy

7:51 AM  
Blogger Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Dr J~ I like your blogging thoughts and I like having coffee with you!
<><

9:34 AM  
Blogger aims said...

You know - on the days I've said exactly what I'm thinking - I've got a ton of reaction to it. I think that is how it should be. Say what you think. Say it loud and long.

Then pour the coffee to any who want to stay for it.

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Quilly said...

Dr. John -- for my part, I told you to fix your blog in whatever way makes you happy, because if you're happy then I am happy! I come for what spills out of your heart and mind and onto the page. How you decorate your blog is incidental.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Maude Lynn said...

It's not dumb to care what your readers think of your blog. I know that I do. After all, if I were just looking for lonely artistic purity, I could just read my wretched poetry to my dog!

11:53 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Dr John I like visiting your blog, and how you want it to look and feel to make you happy I will be happy for you.

This is one of my favorite places I like to visit. I'd miss you if you put up the "Gone Fishing" sign.

You and Betty have a Blessed Day, still keeping you and all in Prayer

1:54 PM  
Blogger Hootin Anni said...

Your blog is very enjoyable. I appreciate your candidness, your humor and your writing talent!!

Thanks for visiting today, and have a super weekend.

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm grateful that you invite me in for a cup of coffee and a nice chat. I don't always partake of the treats, but that is because I am watching my diet.
Thanks for being so neighborly, Dr. John! :)

7:06 PM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

I had to smile when I saw the subject of your post. Because these days, I was considering to post (and I will) similar thoughts as yours.

It is your blog, as you say, you blog because you like it. And we like it too, that is why we are following you in big numbers.

8:29 PM  
Blogger DawnTreader said...

A blog can be just about anything. Bloggers and blogs can have different purposes and priorities. Comments can be of different kinds, too. They can be just a way of saying - I read this. Or they can be part of real discussion, leading on to new thoughts. There's really no right or wrong way. I think you do well to pause and rethink once in a while as you have been doing - what do I want? and what do my readers like?

In my humble opinion, it was probably a good decision to put Pigeon Falls back on here.

12:52 AM  
Blogger Jientje said...

I love what you said about blogging and the visitors, and the comments. I agree, they are important.I share the same thoughts about blogging. I care if people like it or not too. I don't always get here each day, and I don't always comment as much as I should, but I like what you "whip up" for us!

3:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home