Sunday, July 05, 2009

Fith Sunday of Pentecost


Today's Link
Grandma Jeans Opinions

Today's Saying
In what you say of another, apply the test of kindness, necessity and truth, and let nothing pass your lips without a 2/3 majority. ~Liz Armbruster

Today's Picture

In the liturgical churches this is the fifth Sunday after Pentecost and the Gospel from the Common Lectionary is Mark 6:1-13.
This text always bothered me for a number of reasons.
First of all I always wished I could have sat at the feet of Jesus and listened to him teach. So the text which begins with Jesus teaching raises a little envy in me. I envy those who had the opportunity to be there. I know envy is a sin but still I wish I could have been one of those listeners.
Second the response to his teaching is all wrong. The listeners admit it is great teaching but they also decide he has no right to teach them. He grew up there. He played in those streets. His father helped build some of the buildings. He’s just a local boy. Real teachers always come from some place else. God sends them to you. So the fools miss out on something great. They even miss out on healings and miracles that Jesus really wanted to do. They rejected Him.
Now that’s disturbing. It is. Sometimes I wish the Bible would skip over things like that and just give us the good stuff.
And yet this is the way it was and still is. There are those who like the teaching of Jesus but deny the teacher. They can not understand that it is Who He is that causes Him to teach what he teaches. What Jesus about Himself is an important part of that teaching.
But there were and are people who listened to and listen to Him teach and then followed Him. That’s the good news. In today’s text they are the Disciples. He has taught them enough and they believe enough to send them out on missions of their own. Because they trust wonderful things happen on those missions.
I am glad that the people who put the Lectionary together didn’t stop at verse six.
The truth of rejection is tempered by the truth of faithfulness and miracle.
Praise God and be faithful even in rejection.


News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal
Pastor Joan is getting ready for the coming of her baby and her absence from the pulpit for three months or so. She suggested to the Council that Herman fill in as a lay preacher with the blessing of the Bishop. Some on the Council said they really wanted a seminary graduate, an expert. Herman was a great guy and had lots of spiritual power but there was a time he was just another drunk in Pigeon Falls.is okay for occasional fillins but not for three months. They want the “ real thing”.
So this morning Pastor Joan has worked that into her sermon . Part of which is printed here:
“ A long time ago a man stood up to teach. Everybody said he was a great teacher. He was a good preacher. He was a powerful man who helped people. But he was not the man they wanted teaching them. They knew his history. He wasn’t properly trained. He was local. They wanted an expert. This was very upsetting to some of the leaders but how do you argue with what they knew. He hadn’t gone through the proper training. They knew proper training took years. So the voted not to let him preach. They rejected him.
I see from the look on some of your faces that you think that this is today and has something to do with the congregation. But the story is not today. It is a story of Jesus and his visit to his home town. They rejected Him. They wouldn’t listen to him. It must have made Jesus feel really bad.
Now the story isn’t from today but the message is for today. People still reject the one’s that can bring us closest to Jesus for all the wrong reasons.
Oh, yes they do.

Wrap UP
Very good day but I am very tired. Was up much too late for me last night but then it was fun. My boys and their children have gone home and the dog hates it. I got to church we had visitors from our sister church in Africa. You can never tell who you will coffee with after the service at St. Mark's. The choir sang and Pastor Steve preached a good sermon. In the afternoon I worked on the website for the Church. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
*******************************************************

16 Comments:

Blogger anthonynorth said...

Two thoughts come immediately from this. First, I think familiarity can often stop people seeing something special in someone. And even though not a practicing Christian, the central message I see in Jesus is not so much the message, but His example of living it.
I think that makes sense.

1:41 AM  
Blogger Lou said...

I believe everyone of us is a teacher. But not everyone of us stays open to being teachable.

A great Sunday message.

4:52 AM  
Blogger Finding Pam said...

I enjoyed your sermon today. People can be so blind even when the real deal is in front of them.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice lesson.

8:28 AM  
Blogger aims said...

Just catching up after a number of rafting trips. I'm the one who gets to stay back and answer the phone and sell the pottery - but I don't get a chance to get online and catch up with what is happening in Pigeon Falls.

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another great sermon. I do believe that each and everyone of us teaches something everyday. :) Aloha

12:44 PM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Great post Dr John, One always learns something when they visit here.

A Blessed Sunday is wished for you and Betty and your family.

Another picture is posted at the blog for you to take a guess at. I'll post the answer when I get home tonight.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Maude Lynn said...

Marvelous post, Dr. John!

1:11 PM  
Blogger Alastair said...

Loved your thoughts on the lesson, Dr John, thanks - I will try to post mine so you can compare notes :-)

1:40 PM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Blogger was rejecting me there for a while and not letting me comment, which I guess is ok, since I don't have much to say anyway.

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Alice Audrey said...

I hope the congregation figures it out before the baby comes. Will one word be enough? It wasn't in Jesus's time.

3:09 PM  
Anonymous quilly said...

Pastor Joan gives excellent sermons.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

I was up waaaaaaaay too late last night too! I didn't get home until after midnight - and then I still had to wind down for a little bit before I could go to sleep! Then UP for church this morning... and I'm so proud I haven't taken a NAP today! (too busy workin' on VBS stuff!)

I'm sO glad you had a wonderful weekend with your kids and your grandkids! That is exactly as it should be!!!

Pastor preached tithing today -- but he was TRICKY about it! It was hidden in his 3rd of 10 prayers God always says yes to... "God, outdo me in generosity". I don't think I've EVER prayed that one! I just assume it's a done deal! He is ALWAYS more generous than I am!!! His IDEAS and His SOURCES are sO much GREATER than mine!!!

I am jealous like you. I always want to be a Mary... I am not a Martha at all! I would SO love to just sit at the feet of Jesus and listen to Him talk.... But I wonder if I would have really "listened" to Him any better in person than I do now? I HEAR Him ... but it's the paying attention and DOING that is so often the problem!

I think Herman will do a BANG-UP job as substitute Pastor! I DO understand how the congregation feels though... 3 months is a looooong time ... but if emergencies come up, Pastor Joan is still THERE.... she's not going anywhere!

4:58 PM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

When I read your "sunday sermons", I realize who little I know about the Bible and what is written in it. Perhaps I should start to have more interest.

5:03 PM  
Blogger tsduff said...

Wishing you a happy day.

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great sermon today, Dr. John!
I'm preparing to head back "home" for a visit, where everyone will be (or at least act like they are) 12 years old... including the family matriarch. Why is it that no one can accept change in the ones we are closest to?

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home