Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Bad History

Today's Link
Berry Blog

Today's Saying
If the left and the right throw rocks at you gather them up and make a rock garden--Dr. John

Today's Pictures

Ella at Menard's

History is a funny thing.
Last week I saw two groups play with our history to their own ends.
The first was the group that held the tea bag protests. Now I think protests are wonderful. In a free country, free people should feel free to holler at their leaders if they think the leadership is wrong. In fact it’s kind of fun.
What I object to is tying it to a historical event.
Our historic Tea Party was against a foreign sovereign not our elected government.
We have representation.
You may not like what they are doing and that’s okay. In fact it is very American.
But it is not the same as the original tea party.
It just isn’t.
So let’s not pretend it is.
History deserves better.
The second attack on history was by Keith Olbermann,
He was unhappy that President Obama decided not to try President Bush for torture done under his administration.
I am unhappy also but not for the same reasons.
Mr. Keith Olbermann, on his news program twists the entire history of our country until it supports him.
According to him every bad thing that ever happened happened because Presidents like Obama didn’t do what they should have.
If you want Bush tried and don’t care about history it sounds good.
It’s just that there is no way those interpretations can stand.
History deserves better.

Our history is not a tool to beat each other on the head with.
The left and the right feel free to pile specious argument on specious argument and really don’t care about history.
But I do.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal
Late yesterday the Constable got a call that three horses were missing. At that point he called the St. Police and told them that six chickens, six cows, and three horses were missing and presumed stolen and that Pigeon Falls needed some help. The nice Sergeant at the desk explained to him that because of the economic turn down and the state’s financial trouble their staff had been cut. They would try to send somebody as soon as possible but couldn’t promise that would be very soon. So it’s back to square one fpr the Constable.
Petrovich published driblet 67 today. It reads as follows.
I see the city of the birds.
I see farms.
I see marching animals
Three by three
Marching to nowhere
They are there
They are gone
It scares me
People cry.
They miss the animals
Animals with names
Horses, cows, chicken sheep
All kinds of animals
Marching to nowhere
On and on they go.
I hear an evil laugh
It scares me
There is no laughter
Just the laugh
They keep marching
It keeps laughing
The past and future collide
Not enough power
Need power
They keep marching
It keeps laughing
I am scared
Save the City of the birds
How
Who
Cut the rope
Somebody cut the rope
I awake
I am scared
I need a drink.

Wrap UP
Ella got away from me in Menard's. I caught up to her trying to eat light bulbs. I explained you don't eat those. Then she was off again and I had to chase her through the store. She ended up sitting with some expensive friends.
Had a great day today. Melli and "Mom" were here. We talked and talked, went out to eat, and played canasta. I didn't get any blogs visited but I will visit in the morning. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
*****************************************************************

18 Comments:

Anonymous quilly said...

Maybe Ella needs her eyes tested? Those light bulbs might look a bit like ice cream cones to someone with bad eye sight.

Oh no, Pigeon Falls!

Why is it that a dribblet is never deciphered until the precise moment it is needed? That seems very specious. I am more inclined to think as the locals do -- deciphering the dribblet brings on the trouble!

1:15 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

It looks as if Ella is having a good time visiting.

1:29 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Ella sure is keeping you busy.

3:06 AM  
Blogger Russell said...

I enjoyed your quote very much - one of the best I have seen. I have had plenty of rocks thrown at me over the years (you are required to take rock docking classes in law school! Heh!)!

Several weeks ago I "described" (is that a term?!) from my cable TV. I went from a Choice Xtra (always have to have cute variations on words you know!) to a Family Pack. The Family Pack gives you 'more than 50 channels!' Well, okay, 8 of those are your local ones and the other 40 or so are the weather channel and things like that.

I no longer have CNN, MSNBC, ESPN or most of your other traditional cable channels -- I guess families don't watch those!! Regardless I have not missed it a bit!

I guess Keith will have to Countdown without me! I miss some of the sports coverage but there is still newspapers and radio and, of course, the internet..!

Take care and I enjoy seeing Ella at Menards!

4:05 AM  
Blogger B.R.L said...

You need to control that Ella!

T.C.O.B

4:42 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

I'm not sure if I can handle Ella AND Mom! I knew that driblet was gonna involve 3s! Dagnabit! WHAT now? I'm coming over today - and we'll build a rock garden!!! I'll call when we're on our way!

5:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked the lines
They missed their Animals
Animals with names

I also like history, but feel it is constantly being rewriiten. My kids learned it quite differently than I did!

5:45 AM  
Blogger Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

I love Ella!

7:03 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

Ella's trek reminds me of when my "chickens" took a field trip around my yard.


The journalists, using the phrase very lightly, on TV these days don't seem to know that real journalism is supposed to try to be objective as much as possible. They are entertainers. Sometimes I like that type of show if I'm in the mood to have my opinions reinforced. But then, if I watch a show with the opposite opinion, I feel like my opinions are being attacked. There's a big difference between having my opinions challenged and having them attacked.

These so called news shows don't do our country any service. Some of them just inflame the anti-anything people. That could be dangerous. Just think of what could be accomplished if people who have major reservations about a government policy would put forth a constructive alternative instead of just tearing down our public servants personally and inflaming negative passions.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Ella, I love your new dress!

7:41 AM  
Blogger aims said...

I have to admit that yesterday I spent quite a bit of time thinking about what you had posted Dr. John.

As I went about my shopping I regretted my words - wishing that I had not commented.

As a Canadian I'm not sure if I have any right to comment about your government.

So today I'm just saying - I'm reading - I'm thinking - and I'm not saying anything.

9:00 AM  
Blogger starbender said...

If anything, that is probably the first ounce of respect I have mustered for Barak. (the fact that he did not pursue 'charges' against our last President.) This is AMERICA~ it is the only Country we have.This America is seriously divided, and a house divided cannot stand. We are being Tax'd 2 death at this point, and it seems like it is only getting worse. There is now a line drawn, You are either RICH/or POOR. What have we done with our MIDDLE CLASS?

9:12 AM  
Blogger Cherie said...

Why do I have this feeling that Pigeon Falls is about to lose some sheep? Or maybe, they already have, but it hasn't been reported yet. ;)

10:58 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

phew, somebody should tell petrovich to leave driblets alone and let pigeon falls take care of itself.
somehow i have a feeling all didn't go well with mark's transfer...

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My my my...Ella sure is keeping you all on your toes...And Pigeon Falls is just turning into an animal who done it...Your writing is great :)

11:34 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Rush use to eat christmas lights...

7:29 PM  
Blogger Baron's Life said...

Not sure who Russell is but I agree with him
Keep up the good work

8:43 PM  
Blogger zzyytt said...

nike foamposite
michael kors
adidas yeezy boost
http://www.kobeshoes.uk
vans shoes
golden goose outlet
coach outlet online
cheap nba jerseys
golden goose
michael kors handbags

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home